FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled (PS4/XB1/NSW) - June 21, 2019

Crash is back in the driver’s seat! Get ready to go fur-throttle with Crash™ Team Racing Nitro-Fueled. It’s the authentic CTR experience, now fully-remastered and revved up to the max:

• Start your engines with the original game modes, characters, tracks, power-ups, weapons and controls
    • Power slide to glory in additional karts and tracks from beyond the original game
    • Race online with friends and Crash the competition with online leaderboards

With Crash™ Team Racing Nitro-Fueled, the stakes are high and the competition is fierce. It's the CTR you love, now kicked into the highest gear.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Got incredibly excited when I first saw the rumour about this. I was hoping for a remake/new Crash racing for a while, enjoyed it so much as a kid

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Yeah I put..thousands of hours into this game getting platinum relics and trying to 100% it. For a long ass time it's all I'd play lol. Booted it up to try and netplay with a friend a while back and it just didn't work. Glad it'll have online. Game was genuinely difficult to master.

Still have the disc I did it all on. Memories..I loved their drift boosting mechanic. It was all on you if you fucked it up and couldn't finish in time. There were so few points where you couldn't be boosting through even the straight and narrow portions of the tracks. Hype af for this.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Oxide is gonna be playable in this! I hope they add more... I wouldn't mind Spyro as a guest tbh.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Press Release
    Crash is back again, and this time he’s revved up to the max in Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled, an authentic Crash Team Racing experience that’s been remastered in stunning HD and so much more. Power-sliding into players’ hands on June 21st, 2019, Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled also brings fans online multiplayer racing. Get ready to start your engines as the game will be available for the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, and the family of Xbox One devices from Microsoft, including the Xbox One X.

Developed by Beenox and published by Activision, a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, Inc., Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled is built from the ground up and remasters the original Crash racing game by bringing the characters, karts, tracks and arenas to modern console HD graphics. Fans will be able to see Crash and friends’ expressions and antics in beautiful detail as they blast each other with power-ups and whiz around the corners in all the original racetracks. The stakes are high and the competition is fierce as players race with a variety of Crash Bandicoot series characters, including Crash, Coco, Dr. Neo Cortex and others against the egomaniacal Nitros Oxide to save our planet from destruction. In the new game, Adventure, Arcade Single Race and Cup Race, Time Trials and Battle Mode are back. Play Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled single player or vs. friends both online and offline.

“The love that fans have for Crash Team Racing goes beyond just a fun kart racing game, and we’re excited to finally show fans what we’ve been working on to celebrate its 20th anniversary,” said Thomas Wilson, Co-Studio Head at Beenox. “Not only are we revamping Crash Team Racing from the kart up in Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled, we are giving fans a whole lot more including all the characters and tracks they love, with tons of added animations and personality that the original platform just couldn’t convey. We can’t wait to see fans go head-to-head as they test their Crash kart racing mettle in online multiplayer.”

Players who want to kick their Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled into the highest gear can pre-order the Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled – Nitros Oxide Edition. In the digital deluxe edition, the self-proclaimed fastest racer in the galaxy, Nitros Oxide will be a playable character from day one in all game modes. Players will also receive the full Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled game, Oxide’s Hovercraft kart, space-themed character skins for Crash, Coco, Cortex, and much more. Players who do not purchase the Nitros Oxide Edition can earn the Nitros Oxide character and Oxide’s Hovercraft kart by completing some of the fiercest challenges in the Adventure Mode.

Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled and the Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled Nitros Oxide Edition are available for pre-order starting today. Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled will be available for the suggested retail price of $39.99. Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled Nitros Oxide Edition will be available for the suggested retail price of $59.99.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

The Good Old Days

Nostalgia helps us re-live some of the happiest moments of our lives. Playing Crash Team Racing in 1999 was that perfect place filled with happy thoughts for me. So when we started discussing the idea of developing bonus items for PlayStation players of Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled, the nostalgia factor immediately kicked in. A few ideas were shared, but none stuck as much as the idea of re-creating retro items for the game.

Going Old School

And here we are! Revealing the retro skins and karts for Crash, Coco, and Cortex. It is one thing to upscale the graphical fidelity of characters from Crash Team Racing but it is another to proactively downscale their polygon count and texture resolution to recreate the visual constraints of the late ‘90s. Gone are the fur shader and the 1024 x 1024 textures. Instead, they are purposely replaced by a faceted visual treatment with no smoothing groups and 64×64 textures. Some going as low as 32×32 pixels! Can you imagine? We’ve come a long way since 1999!

Retro Characters

In order to craft the retro skins, we gathered references from the original Crash Bandicoot Trilogy and the original CTR to define the level of details we wanted to achieve. We decided to lean into the models in the original CTR’s character selection screen since they provided a little more personality than the racing models, and we felt they would translate well to the modern-day version of the game. Once each reference sheet was created, the artists jumped right in and worked their old school magic to create the retro models. Then, once the models were finalized, we validated they would react appropriately with their updated animation rig from their next-gen counterpart. A big priority was making sure they retained their charm from back in the day.

Authenticity

We hope PS4 fans will appreciate going back in time with the bonus skins and karts. And, as also announced today, we will be providing PS4 players with a retro track in the game as well, to really drive nostalgia into high gear! We can’t wait to show that off for fans soon.

I’ve talked about our approach to the retro content, but really, the same thing can be said about gameplay. Although we’ve modernized the experience quite a bit by introducing a brand-new level of visual fidelity in world building and character animation in CTR Nitro-Fueled, we’ve approached this remaster with an old school mentality. We spent a great deal of time polishing the racing experience for the nostalgic fans. To all the Crash Team Racing fans out there, I hope you will agree.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Game just looks like fun.

We need more fun games. Sign me the hell up.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I used to play CTR all the time. I'd definitely buy a new one.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Releases on Friday. Anyone else buy it up? I sold it to my wife as a PS4 Mario Kart since we used to play that together and she got excited about it too. I'll have to put some solo work in to unlock characters and stuff though.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

So after finally getting my PS4 repaired I got to play this. Going through the old tracks gave me a good kick of nostalgia and my wife seemed to enjoy it though she wasn't amazing at it. She came in 3rd a couple times which kept it interesting to her.

The boost mechanic was throwing me off. I forgot how it worked and had to look it up. Of course, the race after I look it up the tip comes up on the loading screen.

Traveling in adventure mode gave me that nostalgia as well. Reminded me of when I used to play this and Diddy Kong Racing, and traveling to the different words.

Haven't played online yet, but my brother got it too so we'll try out the online stuff.

If anyone wants to hop in, my PSN ID is OttomanRob.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post

The boost mechanic was throwing me off. I forgot how it worked and had to look it up. Of course, the race after I look it up the tip comes up on the loading screen.
    I just wish they were more explicit about detailing the boost reserve system, since I had to look that up myself. Don't recall the little help videos the game includes saying much about it.

Haven't played online yet, but my brother got it too so we'll try out the online stuff.
    Most of my experience with it is spending more time waiting on a god damn lobby to get formed than you are racing. People tend to not stick around after one race to keep things flowing. Also some weird bugs with it not showing the correct winners on the end screen, or the game getting out of sync. Might have been addressed since my last play though since there was an update this month.

My only real complaint with the game is the complete lack of button remapping options, and the (recent) Grand Prix menu being a mess. As for the actual game, it offers up a solid challenge on the medium difficulty which I found refreshing for the first 40% of it that I've been through according to the save.