+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Bumping.

I've been trying to bourbon hunt lately and got wayyyy more into it than when I made this thread.

I've realized that I'll basically never get anything rare in Austin unless I luck out. I went to a Total Wine today at opening because I know they get in Blanton's once a month and it's been almost a month. 3 other people were there at opening and all of them checked out the 'rare bottle desk' then the official bourbon section before walking out. I got the feeling they do this every day. Basically, unless I want to over pay by a large margin or someone form a relationship with a local smaller store (hard because I basically have every common bottle already that's any good, so I wouldn't need to go that often) then my only real hope is the local raffle's around Christmas.

I did at least manage to score two bottles of EH Taylor Single Barrel as part of a store sale because this location was in a much lower income area and they had a bottle of the good stuff hidden behind the counter.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Have you searched on the internet or FB for local whiskey/bourbon clubs? There’s groups of people that get together socially to trade and sample others’ stuff. Might be a good way to try some of the rarer varieties you’re looking for.

Yeah I joined the local one a few days ago. I don’t really have an issue with trying anything as we have an excellent bar scene including one place that’s does half pours on everything for half price. I mostly just wish I could buy things like Elijah Craig 18 for a price that wasn’t 300$.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I hear ya. I’m in PA, where all hard liquor is still exclusive to state stores. If they don’t have what you want and it’s not on their “special order” list, too bad for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prim View Post
    I hear ya. I’m in PA, where all hard liquor is still exclusive to state stores. If they don’t have what you want and it’s not on their “special order” list, too bad for me.
    Oopf. I used to live in Alabama and it was like that. I thought they still hold raffles every now and then for the really hard to find stuff (BTAC/Pappy/etc). If memory serves this is the name of the ABC store in PA and seems to be for their raffles - https://www.finewineandgoodspirits.c...0051&langId=-1

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

As someone who wants to get into the whiskey scene, specifically on the rocks or neat, what do you recommend? I am really not a huge fan of whiskey from my initial tests, but I wasn't a fan of IPA's or Vodka either but after time fell in love.

My brother drinks whiskey and literally says its delicious, how do I get there peeps?

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Basic af but fireball for me, I can drink it like it's water.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipotent View Post
    As someone who wants to get into the whiskey scene, specifically on the rocks or neat, what do you recommend? I am really not a huge fan of whiskey from my initial tests, but I wasn't a fan of IPA's or Vodka either but after time fell in love.

My brother drinks whiskey and literally says its delicious, how do I get there peeps?
    I feel Jameson is a really smooth Whiskey. Bourbon (for a starter) may be too harsh on the rocks.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Gonna have to clarify a bit. Bourbon is whiskey. Scotch is whiskey. Rye whiskey is whiskey. Is there a particular type that interests you? Or is it just a “mature” thing you want to get into? (I started with the latter as motivation, btw)

My opinion- Irish and Rye whiskeys are rough to start on. Lots of burn, hard to discern flavors without a tolerance for the burn. My “starter” recommendations are Basil Hayden’s for bourbon and Johnny Walker Black for scotch. Just personal preference there. Start with a glass of ice and let it sit for ~2 minutes then stir. The water will cut the burn enough so you can start noticing and enjoying flavors.

Another good way is to ask for mixed drinks like an Old Fashioned or Whiskey Sour. They’re respectable drinks that let you try different whiskeys while having some flavor to keep the burn at bay.

Eventually I trended towards scotch as my drink of choice. The smokeyness and peatyness of some well aged Islay scotches is just a perfect way to end a night.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Gonna have to clarify a bit. Bourbon is whiskey. Scotch is whiskey. Rye whiskey is whiskey. Is there a particular type that interests you? Or is it just an “adult-like” thing you want to get into? (I started with the latter as motivation, btw)

My opinion- Irish and Rye whiskeys are rough to start on. Lots of burn, hard to discern flavors without a tolerance for the burn. My “starter” recommendations are Basil Hayden’s for bourbon and Johnny Walker Black for scotch. Just personal preference there. Start with a glass of ice and let it sit for ~2 minutes then stir. The water will cut the burn enough so you can start noticing and enjoying flavors.

Another good way is to ask for mixed drinks like an Old Fashioned or Whiskey Sour. They’re respectable drinks that let you try different whiskeys while having some flavor to keep the burn at bay.

Eventually I trended towards scotch as my whiskey of choice. The smokeyness and peatyness of some well aged Islay scotches is just a perfect way to end a night.
    This is just what I was looking for and after some research I was going to look into Basil Hayden or Johnny.. I will get a small bottle today and see where the night takes me.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

If either of those work for you, I’ll try to give a few more recommendations along those lines.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

This is just what I was looking for and after some research I was going to look into Basil Hayden or Johnny.. I will get a small bottle today and see where the night takes me.
    I detest Irish and Scotch, I hate the burnt wood taste and it's just awful.

But I go through most Kentucky and other bourbons about a bottle a week to a bottle a month.

Basil Hayden is my favorite under $50 bottle. JW is terrible start with a small bottle.

On the rocks is fine for literally anything under $100 don't let anyone tell you anything different I've had $400 bottles that require eye dropper measured amounts of water added. I've only had a few things that were really better neat, we had this one bottle that was aged in spiced rum caskets and it was like drinking both things at once, that was good neat.

I drink a lot of Blanton's but until you get accustomed to it you might not want to spend that much. I have a bottle for every price range whether I want to spend $30, $40, $50, $60 etc.

Makers and bulliet, eagle rare are all fine for cheap stuff. Buffao trace is okay. Tin cup is great for a few dollars more. Woodford reserve is good. Blanton's is great. Elijah wood has one batch that's okay but the others are meh.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

On the rocks is fine for literally anything under $100 don't let anyone tell you anything different I've had $400 bottles that require eye dropper measured amounts of water added. I've only had a few things that were really better neat, we had this one bottle that was aged in spiced rum caskets and it was like drinking both things at once, that was good neat.

I drink a lot of Blanton's but until you get accustomed to it you might not want to spend that much. I have a bottle for every price range whether I want to spend $30, $40, $50, $60 etc.

Makers and bulliet, eagle rare are all fine for cheap stuff. Buffao trace is okay. Tin cup is great for a few dollars more. Woodford reserve is good. Blanton's is great. Elijah wood has one batch that's okay but the others are meh.
    Concur 100% with all of this.

I started out with bourbon, mostly on the rocks or at least chilled. Eventually I settled on Woodford Reserve as my favorite (for a beginner anyway) bourbon, but it was still kinda harsh for me.

To go against the grain here, Irish is what really got me enjoying whiskey. I took a trip to Ireland and went to multiple whiskey tastings (which by the way, tastings are a great way to see what you like in small amounts) and I found Red Breast 12 year. That became my favorite bottle hands down, and I still always keep a bottle on hand. I disagree about Irish having a harsh burn, depending on which ones you try. Red Breast is one of the smoothest out there imho, but also a good aged (12yr or so) Jameson or Tullamore Dew is still very smooth. I highly recommend them for a beginner due to the lack of burn. I do appreciate a good bourbon now, but I really acquired my taste for whiskey largely from Irish.

As for scotch, just keep in mind that you can go from not smoky at all to very smoky. If you like a smokey scotch, look for stuff from the Islay region. Personally, I'm not a big fan of it. I tend to steer towards scotch from the Speyside/Highland region. Something like Macallan or Glenlivet is delicious to me.

Japanese whiskey tends to be similar in style to scotch due to its background. If you want something fairly cheap, and super smooth and easy to drink while you're getting into it, try Suntory Toki.

And to agree with what's already been said, don't be afraid/ashamed to put water in your whiskey. Or to try cocktails. Do what's enjoyable for you. You might get to the point where you like it neat, but if you don't you still have something enjoyable which is the main goal.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I feel I’ve given Irish whiskey a fair shake, and since my father’s entire family is from Ireland it pains me to say I don’t like it. It’s just not for me. Redbreast 12 however was the best of the ones I’ve tried. And I’m just talking straight or rocks. I got a bottle of Paddy’s as a gift, and mixed with Bittermilk #3 (www.bittermilk.com) made a fine Whiskey Sour.

Since people are doing bourbon recommendations based on style.

20-35$ - Elijah Craig store picks for something spicy or eagle rare for something smoother. I believe eagle rare tops woodford in every way if you can find it. Also Wellers special reserve if you want to try out a smooth heavily wheated bourbon, sub this for Antique 107 or 12 if you can find either.
    35-55$ - 4 roses single barrel or Noah's Mill all day long. McKenna 10 is also in this range and a lot of people love it for the money, but for drinking neat it isn't really my thing. I do think it's excellent in an old fashioned and helps the drink stand out. Another popular bottle in this range is Old Forrester 1920.
    55+ - Blantons if I can find it. Then all the usuals in this range that are all impossible to find. The one you may have luck with would be Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. Retails for 60$ but most places mark it up to 70-100$.

All this being said, if you ever see a "store pick" on the bottle then try it. It's almost guaranteed to be better than the base bottle. One that is notorious for being absolutely amazing for the price is a 4 roses single barrel store pick.

Edit: Apparently the new Wild Turkey Rare Breed is AMAZING for 45$ or so. The trick is though that it has to be the new one. On the back there's a hard to see labeling tag. The one you want is "LL/G#" (Replace # with a letter, K is a good one, but the main thing is that it says at least LL/G). Apparently this batch is just banging compared to older years. Do not buy it if it says LL/F. I may try to find a bottle tomorrow. It's from the most recent shipments and shouldn't really be too hard to find, but only places that are ordering new batches will have it, so try a store that moves a lot of volume. - https://www.reddit.com/r/bourbon/com...ey_date_codes/

Something for you via reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/WhiskeyTrib..._fu_this_week/ - Every third Wednesday the FWGS drops limited bottles of allocated whiksey. Looks like if you win the online lotto they mail it to the stores and most people got their picks this week.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PLCB/commen...rcb/new_to_pa/

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Good tip, thanks! I never thought of subbing to Reddit to keep tabs on what FWGS is dropping.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

On the topic of Japanese whiskeys, I have a bottle of Yamazaki and I find it harsher than most other whiskeys I've had. It almost has a grain alcohol burn to it. The flavors are pretty good, but that burn is strong when you first try it.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Posted this in random win too but relevant.

Best friend gifted me a bottle of Blanton's that was bottled on my son's birthday, he had been searching for it for months and had to do a few trades to get it. What a fucking great gift, gonna open it on his 21st.

My son is 5 months old I think he's been looking for it the whole time.