+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Those velcro rolls look a bit expensive to me... Also, for cable bundling in a PC case, at least if you want to use existing tie-down points like the guy in the guide video, you might wanna get a thin roll with 3/4in or less width. If you just wanna bundle them, any width is fine.

antistatic straps are a good idea if you have a bad combination of shoes/slippers and floor (aka, you zap yourself regularly when touching metal). If that's not the case, touch a grounded metal piece before taking the parts out of their antistatic bags and you're golden. Keep the mainboard on its bag when assembling parts on it.
    And to extend a bit on what the video guy said: golden rule of PC part handling is to never touch the contacts. Anything with exposed contact areas (RAM, GPU, CPU) should only be touched/held on the edges of the board.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Niya; Actually that isn't too bad, tho zip ties are cheaper. (I figure the extra money is worth it to avoid reaching for the pocketknife later) I mean to check around a'course; also that store takes coupons. I should know since I buy my yarn there! Hit a good sale/week and you can get a coupon for 40-50% off or more; I mean to keep a eye out for sales so I can have some when I need it.

Like my sister says about cloth/notions; "Never pay retail.."

And I'll remember that with the static problem. That's proly why Shadowneko ditched his from the kit he was required to get for his computer repair classes.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Those velcro rolls look a bit expensive to me... Also, for cable bundling in a PC case, at least if you want to use existing tie-down points like the guy in the guide video, you might wanna get a thin roll with 3/4in or less width. If you just wanna bundle them, any width is fine.

antistatic straps are a good idea if you have a bad combination of shoes/slippers and floor (aka, you zap yourself regularly when touching metal). If that's not the case, touch a grounded metal piece before taking the parts out of their antistatic bags and you're golden. Keep the mainboard on its bag when assembling parts on it.
    And to extend a bit on what the video guy said: golden rule of PC part handling is to never touch the contacts. Anything with exposed contact areas (RAM, GPU, CPU) should only be touched/held on the edges of the board.

This is pretty accurate description wise, though hair, clothing etc. kicks in too, and depending on what you wear, you can build a charge while working. I just like erring on the side of caution. it's kinda
    "You don't think it'll happen, but the cost of it happening can be pretty steep, so when dealing with expensive stuff I do so anyway. While I doubt it'll ever happen, I don't want to be the guy frying a $100k+ server, I bricked more hardware than I care to think about in other ways anyway in the days before BIOS redundancy became the norm.)

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

You can get zip ties that don't lock. I think they are called "Release cables." We have both. I use easy to remove zip ties for cables around the house and the cut-only zip ties for pets, when we travel (to prove that the animal hasn't been tampered with). My only hang-up with Velcro would be dust sticking to it.

https://smile.amazon.com/Cable-Matte...sable+zip+ties

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

theshun; Good idea! Since I got this thread bookmarked, I'll check that option out when I get to this. Joann's might be nice for some things, but those velcro ties might be good for taming wire mess outside the case anyway. So might get a roll for that.

And Hellfury; Shadowneko might not use one, but I fig this is nervy business, so I was planning on getting one on the side of caution. I'm with you here; I don't want to destroy expensive parts.

Prolly not going to go out today unless 'Neko wants to (he doesn't know why I want screwdrivers) but I'll see about getting that screwdriver set. Saturday is more likely b/c today's the big return day and 'Neko hates stores this time of year.

[Edit] Uber'ed out there thanks to some free rides I got. The one I was looking at, the bits were too small; got one with bigger bits that has its own case. Just need the strap now and not in a hurry for that. ^^ Was only in a hurry on the tools since Harbor Freight is running a sale and I needed some wire brushes to tackle a sink downstairs anyway.