+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help Zealot Find A Job     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Well need someone with a B in Art to do it convincingly, then we can split the con 3 ways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

TIL Government pays their attorneys 55k and their nurse practitioners 150k+

what a world...

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

We need some healthcare reform I'd say...

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    Have you considered working at the state level rather than federal doing exactly what you’re doing now? Maybe move to a new state, change of scenery, get a nice government job away from DC.
    That's not a bad idea. I suppose I should start with looking at things in Maryland and branch out from there.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    That's not a bad idea. I suppose I should start with looking at things in Michigan and branch out from there.
    Beer capital of the country!

Most expensive auto insurance too...

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

I got a job for you

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    A law degree in DC pays 70k a year? Is that a typo? Is there a zero missing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    *looks at his science degree*

Sigh...
    I went to a community college for 1 year for a general business certificate and make 60k as the operations/food & beverage manager for my cities convention centre.
    The world is full of opportunities when you realize peeps gotta eat and will pay money to eat.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Do you get your nights and weekends?

BG Level

negative. which is the drawback lol

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Have you considered academia for law? Might be worth looking into if you like teaching or research.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Where would I start looking for something like that? And would I need to get any kind of teaching certification or does that depend on the place?

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    Just curious, are you looking to stay in the world of law or whatever it is you do? Or are you looking for anything? I've always wondered what someone would do if they are in mid life, are tired of what they are doing for work even though it's what they went to school for, and have the means to go do anything.
    Law degrees can transition well to public policy or politics, which are law related but consist of different daily work. There's also a lot of variation in the kinds of law you can pursue -- not just specialization but whether you focus on transactional, litigation, arbitration, regulatory, etc.

A law degree in DC pays 70k a year? Is that a typo? Is there a zero missing?
    Early career law hasn't made over 100k a year, with the exception of the absolute best firms, since the 2008 crash. A bunch of us (myself included) responded to the recession by going to school to punt on the economy. That created an oversupply of JDs that the system is still absorbing right now. Law school enrollment didn't drop off (as a response to declining salary) until 2 years ago.

TIL Government pays their attorneys 55k and their nurse practitioners 150k+
    CA State Gov paid me 60k but charged my hours at $171/hr (300k/yr for full time) when we were claiming attorney's fees on cases. Associate Chief Counsel at my dept. billed at $963/hr because she used to be a partner at a big law firm before going to Gov.

Where would I start looking for something like that? And would I need to get any kind of teaching certification or does that depend on the place?
    I don't know about tenure track, but I know JD and practice experience is enough to get you as a visiting adjunct at colleges that offer pre-law courses and local law schools. If you want a T14 tenure track, you need to have some prestige (high level clerkships).

Something else to consider is being a law librarian. It is apparently a relatively low competition field (need the unusual combination of a Masters in Library Studies plus a JD), low stress, and pays well. You just need to be good with Lexis/WestLaw.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Get a policy job at an association THAT IS HOW YOU BECOME LAWNBBYIST WHICH IS THE BEST JOB

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Depends on the place. Gred covered the visiting adjunct angle, but to be honest you will be overworked and paid shit. It might be worth going back and getting your PhD in law if you don't have it.

It might seem like a big ask but if you really like law theory it is worth looking into. Plenty of success stories of people going back to school later in life and making it work really well for them, myself included. The PhD pay will likely be less than what you want or are used to but it would allow you to get the fuck out of DC if you want and really go anywhere in the country.

It looks like the stipend system is a bit different for law PhD programs than STEM, but from clicking around it looks like 2-3 years with tuition fully covered and some level of stipend. Looks like law students are strongly encouraged to apply to external scholarship programs to help fund their graduate program income. I can't find any solid numbers on stipends actually which is weird. Different academic world than what I'm used to. It might be worth making some inquiries to people within your network.

Also all the "why you shouldn't get a PhD" articles written by fucking smoothbrains that show up near the top of the list on google searches is triggering the fuck out of me. Obviously you should really analyze how much you care about research and your thoughts on teaching, but law theory is something that seems more and more interesting the longer I think about it for the purposes of this conversation. Also looks like there are a lot of joint law + economics programs which will always make good money.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

smoothbrains lol

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Quote Originally Posted by Day View Post
    I got a job for you

but you're not gonna share cos it blows?

BG Level