+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Us (Jordan Peele)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Spoiler: show
    My main griped was I wish they'd left things a bit more ambiguous at the end. Just leave out that whole flashback thing where it explicitly shows us how our MC all this time was one of the tethered and connect the dots for us and instead just cut to the end with that creepy smile making us think back to the clues we had been given.

lupita killed it (figuratively and literally) and i liked winston duke's corny dad routine more than i thought i would, but the movie as a whole didn't really land for me. the twist wasn't particularly shocking and the entire time i was just thinking...ok so they do a hands across america and then...??? it kind of felt like peele tried to do too much with this one. get out was more tightly focused and it showed imo

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

2deep4u

Hands across America was meant to represent the underprivileged standing up together. Like the tethered coming up and claiming their spot in the world

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

i get it, but they arent claiming shit lol

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Yeah...that's kinda the point. The dad says "everything is gonna be alright", cause that's all that happens. The underpriviledge stand up for a short moment, but nothing changes. Just like how nothing changed with homelessness after the original hands across America event.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

idk man pretty sure it has more weight when all those people joining hands killed their other halves first lol

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

they are pretty much perfect clones, down to sharing a soul. They might be able to assimilated, or the opposite happens and a 3 way civil war happens between the Reds, Covs, and gov who created the reds. I wouldn't think too much about it though outside of what was shown in the movie. This is definitely one of those one off movies where you don't contemplate the rest of its universe because the rest of its universe was never created. One and done. I'm fine with it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'd imagine they could given well one did albeit with swapping places. Though maybe that is a decent distinction since the soul resides in the original... if the original dies does the soul go with it and with that the tether to it or does it go to other body? Would not being tethered to a soul even matter... hell was that even literal or just a turn of phrase? And will society accept these clones?

Jokes on you. In a few years we will learn this is actually the sequel to Get Out and this is the start of the Peeleverse!

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Even after the Gov stopped the program they were still copying their other selfs, so I think the soul bit might be pretty accurate. I assume prior to the attack, if the original died then they killed the clone. The clones did not automatically die if they killed their original.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

oh I more meant more down the line... like your body can survive without your mind... but you'd need to be taken care of or very quickly your body would starve. If it stayed with the original would your mind starve without support? Would you be linked with death? If it went with you would there be some compatibility issues actually being inside of them.

Yes I know this is all kind of overthinking and not points the movie is really meant to raise just if we did go further and ask what happens to them this soul issue becomes an issue. I think it's not literally a soul but more just a way of saying how linked they were and said link already was gone sometime before the present since Red was clearly still being controlled by Adelaide during her stint in the underground but not in present and the tethered could've much more easily offed their originals by simulating walking off a cliff or something

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

I don't think she meant soul literally, I think she meant it as: They could perfectly clone a body, but they can't clone the essence that makes a person. I think the clones were meant to be like in "The Sixth Day" or w/e that Arnold clone movie was, where they are essentially blank slates when cloned.
    So that would perfectly explain why the Project failed, blank slates can't "really" be manipulated.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Robertfb View Post
    I don't think she meant soul literally, I think she meant it as: They could perfectly clone a body, but they can't clone the essence that makes a person. I think the clones were meant to be like in "The Sixth Day" or w/e that Arnold clone movie was, where they are essentially blank slates when cloned.
    So that would perfectly explain why the Project failed, blank slates can't "really" be manipulated.
    that doesnt explain how they're basically telepathically linked.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Let's not forget that we are seeing the experiences and life of a seemingly normal person throughout the entire film until the end we realize she was a "soulless tethered" the whole time. I saw this film as a critique on the uniqueness of human life and the idea of a soul, and we are products of our environment where our personalities are not fixed upon birth (or cloning).

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

scoped it, dug it, my crush on Lupita Nyong'o is p much ended tho lord she was creepy.

deduced the twist about halfway through, and totally agree with my boyfriends re heavy handed exposition at the end being unnecessary and a subtler is she or isn't she but the signs point to she is with a knowing look from young boy and creepy grin from mama would've been more effective. still, good stuff all around, great performances from the two leads, and Peele flexes his aesthetic chops yet again. the sound design is p much perfect and the final fight sequence between Red and switchy shadow interspliced with cuts of them doing ballet was a terrific bit of filmmaking.

thematically it's a little less obvious and a little more muddled than Get Out, reckon the primary idea was nature v nurture through doppelgänger horror mythology reimagined as an aspect of social control. interesting enough but a little undercooked and at times felt some of the rules governing the world's internal logic were there because they looked cool/creepy rather than because they were really justified.

thematic pretensions don't quite live up to the inspired aesthetics but outstanding performances and Peele's trademark blend of disturbing slowburn horror mixed with yucks give us 3.5 out of 5 gonna-get-spooked-getting-into-bed-after-turning-the-lights-offs.

im glad ive seen other people writing about how off-beat adelaide was when she was clapping to i got 5 on it at the beginning of the movie, it seemed way off to me too but i am just a humble white boy so i was second guessing myself about it

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Us (Jordan Peele)

Just got out of the theater and I loved it. I’m not one for horror thrillers so the wifey kinda had to drag me out for this, but I loved Peele’s approach and the fact nobody ever takes themselves too seriously. Had no idea Tim Heidecker was in the movie and was instantly sold lol.

I could’ve gone without the predictable ass twist ending though. It added nothing to the overall story in my opinion. It was still her proper family and I don’t know what little man was confused about. She still birthed you nigga. How is anything different?

EDIT: Now that I think about it.

The twist ending was fucking retarded and it ends up creating more questions than answers.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Yeah its still her family, and her husband, but she was still the clone created in a lab that swapped places with the "real" lupita. That's still...unsettling. I think it's meant to make you think though, and whether it should matter or not.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by chazzyphizzle View Post
    im glad ive seen other people writing about how off-beat adelaide was when she was clapping to i got 5 on it at the beginning of the movie, it seemed way off to me too but i am just a humble white boy so i was second guessing myself about it

aye she was way off the downbeats, p sure it was intentional to show she wasn't right, bread crumbs that she and not Red was the shadow. she also tells Elizabeth Moss's character she has trouble talking, when she is confessing to jolly husband she acts so off-kilter and unstable I thought the switch might have already happened, and obviously the biggest tell is how increasingly savage and kill happy she gets as the movie goes on. imagine there's more tells on a rewatch.

yeah, im sure it was intentional too i just had trouble suspending disbelief that winston duke's character wouldnt have given her a big wtf face at the least

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by chazzyphizzle View Post
    yeah, im sure it was intentional too i just had trouble suspending disbelief that winston duke's character wouldnt have given her a big wtf face at the least
    Well his character seemed pretty much like your average white suburban dad so maybe he ain't got no rhythm too.