+ Reply to Thread
    Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Wireless USB Headphone Suggestions?

I'm looking for a set of USB wireless headphones for work to listen to recordings and phone calls on. Noise cancelling would be ideal, but not 100% needed as long as they can be loud enough to drown out other sound. Ideally, it'd have a charging base of sorts to charge it.

I'd normally just buy some junker and be fine with it. The reason I'm looking for suggestions is because I'm curious if there's any hardware options to control the audio output. With normal headsets, you have to control where the audio is output to via your audio options in Windows. I'd love for something that just takes over the output when it's on, and relinquishes output to the computer speakers when it's off. Is that even a thing? Or maybe a hardware button that could control it?

I've been using these for my workouts, so the noise canceling works really well and they get really loud. They also come with a 3.5mm aux port, which i think would work for what you are talking about? Just plug it in the port when you need to and windows should just output to it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: just hit me that they wouldn't be "wireless" doing that. Still good headphones

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

i use my sony ps4 headphones, works great

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Surealistic View Post
    i use my sony ps4 headphones, works great
    That's actually kind of what I'm looking for. My PS4 gold headset is great on the PS4. I play games with the speakers on, then when I want to chat, I just turn it on and output automatically shifts to the headset. Turn it off, output goes back to speakers.

How can you get a similar functionality on a PC?

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

dot dot dot

with a ps4 headset >.>

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

That hasn't been my experience. Turning it on does nothing until you alter the audio output settings via playback devices, then when you're done with it, you have to alter the settings back to playback thru the speakers.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The reason that is happening is presumably that, even when the headset is off, because your wireless BT receiver is plugged into the computer both devices count as active on the computer at all times so you need to manually adjust which device should have priority.

The PS4 is presumably set up to prioritize any device other than the TV speakers and doesn't recognize the headset unless it's turned on.

One way you may be able to bypass this is to use a regular USB headset where unplugging it will naturally set the default audio device back to the 3.5mm plug or to unplug your Bluetooth receiver