Thread: HDMI switch issues     submit to reddit submit to twitter

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

HDMI switch issues

Its hard to explain, so I made shitty pictures in paint to try and diagram everything.

My living room has a Sony XBR65X850E connected to a Denon AVR-S730H. I bought a Toshiba 43LF621C19 (advertised as 4k UHD, so both TV's do 4k UHD, there shouldnt be any hardware conflicts from default settings) for my room. My consoles are connect to a HDMI splitter (I think its this one, theres no model number on it, and it looks similar to this), which connects to the receiver, to my tv. My living room and bedroom are one wall apart (yay small condo), so I want to use a HDMI cable to run from the HDMI splitter to that TV so I can game from my bed at night. I dont want to run it through the receiver, because then it will output sound to the speakers in my living room. The only problem is, it doesnt work, and I'm having problems finding out who the culprit is.

This is how it is currently set up, it works fine for my living room, no issues here.

----

This is what I want to do with a secondary HDMI cable. The splitter sits on my receiver so it has easy access to swap cables around. For some reason, it does not work. If I get a signal, which most of the time it reports "no signal", its choppy and cuts out frequently.

-----

I've run this type of connection with multiple cables ruling out the following as culprits:
    my HDMI cables are not faulty.
    my HDMI switch is not faulty.
    The receiver should not modify the connection in any way by boosting the signal or anything (this is false, see below)

-----

So I'm left with the TV being faulty...thats not the case either. If I run this connection straight from my PS4 Pro to the TV, the connection is stable and I have no issues.

-----

Just to eliminate every possibility, I just tried this and got a stable connection: consoles > hdmi switch > receiver > bedroom TV. Picture is coming up crystal clear on my bedroom TV, but the sound is coming through my speakers in my living room, which I obviously dont want, and I dont want to rip through my receivers settings to passthrough the audio. It would be faster to just swap the HDMI plug on my consoles.

I'm guessing its the cheap HDMI splitter, which is messing up the HDMI handshake between my Toshiba TV and the consoles. For some reason, it does not mess up the HDMI handshake to the Sony, and when going through the Denon to the Toshiba, it stabilizes the handshadke somehow? I cant really think of anything else.

Anyone more versed in electronics have any insight on this?

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Further things I noticed: The issues seem to involve my ps4 pro. If I plug in my TV to the HDMI switch and its set to my xbox one or switch, the connection goes through fine. I can swap between xbox and NSW no problem. When I go to the ps4, it gives no signal, and attempting to swap back to the xbox or NSW continues to give no signal. If I unplug the cable from the splitter, and set it to either xbox or NSW, and plug it back in, I get a clean connection again, and can swap between the xbox and NSW no problem.

I did try to disable HDCP on the ps4 pro, it didnt help anything.

I ordered this switch off Amazon, hopefully I'll get better luck.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Sony has an anti-piracy thing (HDCP). You actually need a CHEAP switch to rip out the piracy.

I use this when I stream PS3 with El Gato
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

This should explain:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/208917/htg...how-to-fix-it/

Disabling the HDCP never did anything for me except not let me watch Netflix.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I was looking into that after i discovered the issues were tied to my ps4 only, but i shot that down after i disabled hdcp and it did nothing.

Ill try the cheap splitter and see if it works.

Thanks!

edit: that splitter says its only good up to 1080p. Would that work for pushing 4k/HDR feeds though, or would I need to go for the more expensive one? Its from the same one you linked.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by NynJa View Post
    I was looking into that after i discovered the issues were tied to my ps4 only, but i shot that down after i disabled hdcp and it did nothing.

Ill try the cheap splitter and see if it works.

Thanks!

edit: that splitter says its only good up to 1080p. Would that work for pushing 4k/HDR feeds though, or would I need to go for the more expensive one? Its from the same one you linked.
    You might have to contact the seller about the HDCP. Or try it and return it. That one also mentions you'll only get 1080. Look at the last picture. Also, it says HDCP compliant, which makes me think it won't let PS4 pass.

Not sure if this works(it SPECIFICALLY LISTS PS3/PS4), but this, to me, seems like the one to try:
    https://www.amazon.com/Version-HDMI-...DMXR7WR7HXB9RE

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

This item does not ship to Canada. Please check other sellers who may ship internationally.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I asked my sister to order the one i linked. Its prime, so I should be able to get a hassle free return if it doesnt work.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

https://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-501BN-...switcher&psc=1 This is the one I'm using, and was recommended for using El Gato.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Same issue, wont ship to Canada.

https://www.amazon.ca/Splitter-Ports.../dp/B016O5NMMC
    I ordered that one. A couple people have said it should work. If it doesnt work I'm gonna go with this one (no prime, third party from China, ugh), but a LOT of people have said it works.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I dont think the issues are HDCP related. I was able to plug the cable from my PS4 to a HDMI coupler, which I then used to connect to the bedroom TV, and it worked np. I was also able to connect the HDMI switch to my PC with a capture card, and I wasnt getting issues there either.

So I just got rid of the HDMI switch (which may have not been HDCP 2.2 compliant), have all 3 console cables dangling infront of my reciever, and I can either plug the console into the HDMI coupler, which I ziptied to my cabinet, or into the reciever's HDMI AUX port. Since all the cables are easily accessible, its a small effort to switch what is plugged where.