+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Winter anime list     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Formatting and translation are just part of the problem, but it is also that a lot of LN are just poorly written or read more like scripts.

I can't and won't make the conversion, and I can't imagine reading a LN to an isekai show which would be awful lol.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mira Lefrune
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I've done it with two shows, Overlord and Youjo Senki(Tanya the evil), i enjoyed both quite a bit so far. For OL i read the fan translation and it was pretty good so, maybe it's the exception since, you said that a few of them wern't that well done and for Tanya it was the official.

Here's an example of how those look, what you said about really short chapters sounds weird to me since, in both of these series, they're pretty long.(there's no spoilers, just the 1st or 2nd page from the 1st book)
    Spoiler: show

For Overlord the only complaint i've really heard is that in some conversations, it can be hard to tell who's talking if there are a lot of ppl, which is probably similar in most novels from jp because, they love the different accents/ways of talking. For me though only once, maybe twice i wasn't sure and had to reread a section, other than that i had no issues.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I did this with OreGairu, Overlord and Konosuba myself, but only after having watched the animes first. It was kind of nice because I already had the JP voice actors voices in my head when I was reading it so I had a sense of how things sounded. But yeah, there were definitely times where my mind just shut off and I skimmed chunks of it because the writing isn't necessarily Pulitzer prize quality and it was just kind of boring. It's pretty easy to see why animes skip a lot of the finer details as they can be incredibly cumbersome at times.

Yeah, I noticed that about Light novels. You'll just get a page of like 10 consecutive quotes, and you have no clue who is talking.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

These days I find I can only read pictures (manga) lol. 1 page of a light novel makes me drowsy though I have stashed up some on series that I really care about (devil is a part timer, overlord) in case of an internet apocalypse.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I can't do LNs, either. They all read like trash fanfiction. Now, there is good fanfiction - I've read some that read like fully developed and edited novels with beautiful prose. LNs, on the other hand...you have to be very forgiving of the style and maybe willing to read anything, idk. I've never seen a LN that was actually written well.

The animes they spawn are often amazing though, so I'm content letting other people suffer through reading those LNs so they can animate them

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Fate Extra: Last Encore.
    Dagashi Kashi season 2.
    Chuunibyou Movie.
    Grancest Senki.
    Overlord 2.
    Citrus.
    New Gintama
    The Disastrous Life Of Saiki K (season 2)
    Yowamushi Pedal (new season).

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Shield Hero
    They basically had the monster on a leash and the only way to lead it was straight through the buildings? Seems stupid, lol

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Anyone else happen to catch Lelouch of the Resurrection as it screened in theaters this past week?

I'll limit stuff to spoilers in case people have not seen it yet, JP or otherwise.

What a waste of 2 hours and $15 bucks for what we already knew happened.

Right off the bat: Fuck the Shirley retcon from the condensed films. Terrible with a capital ERRIBLE. You negate a highly emotional (and fitting) climax to their story just to have a way to have "evacuated" Lelouch's body after Suzaku killed him at the end of season 2 and then she is on screen for all of 30 seconds answering her phone and talking to Milly.

With that out of the way, it was cool to watch the characters play their parts again on a big screen, but there was something missing in the shift to 2 hour movie from 54 episode series.

Shamna would have been a great villain if her Geass was kept hidden until the end. The time rewind aspect would have played really well if we got to see Lelouch or C.C. interact with it over a 8-10 episode arc. Wasting something like that on a 2 hour movie is bleh. Her brother was even more irrelevant, only serving insofar as to give Suzaku something to do for the duration of the movie.

Speaking of, did anyone else catch what her code did? Or was it her Geass that allowed her to re-wind time coupled with her Code allowing her to revive during the reset?

Along with that, the complete lack of use for characters like Rakshata was wasted potential too. Tohdoh and Chisa ending up married in the end credits was a nice touch.

With all the negative out of the way, I can see the ending scene set up a season 3 that should be able to sustain 24 episodes easily enough.

I'm just really bitter about Sunrise taking this long for a movie like this only to have it change nothing from how the end of the series wrapped up logically. They needed a 12 episode run to explain a lot of stuff, and a 2 hour movie just doesn't cut it.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

The movie was fan service and I enjoyed it thoroughly for what it was.

I'm assuming they have future plans for Shirley otherwise she didn't have the screentime to justify the retcon. They already said this is phase 1 of 10 years of new Geass content.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

After watching the Akito movies I never had any hope for the rest of the Geass movies. I mean...

Any story that's such a disjointed mess that your cast gives the fuck up and decides to run away to be gypsies is hilarious but also a complete waste of time

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9