Closed Thread
Page 156 of 159 FirstFirst ... 106 146 154 155 156 157 158 ... LastLast
Results 3101 to 3120 of 3172
  1. #3101
    I stick my dick in Crayfish
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    886
    BG Level
    5

    America's problem isn't democracy, that wasn't my inference. It's this obsession with unrestricted capitalism like it's the solution to everything. I'm not a socialist, but god damn, when half the country is filled with dumb fucks who actively fight for less wages, less workplace safety, dirtier air, undrinkable water, less healthcare, and more discrimination, you just have to sit back and wonder if the system can ever be fixed - or if it's just going to get worse as the ability to control and manipulate information increases.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  2. #3102

    My unspoken point when more or less setting off this thought chain is that we've had a steady degradation of the middle/lower class since the 80s. Wealth distribution, liveable wages, levels/quality of education, cost of said education, access to affordable healthcare, access to jobs, and then some, are all woven together into what helps to account for a citizen's level of happiness. Toss in the Deplorable talking points as a wild card and you'll then get differing reasons for why the other stuff is in a bad place, though often disassociated with the reality of it all, but nonetheless an effective distraction because individually solving these problems for yourself is pretty much impossible barring winning a giant lottery.

    Nonetheless, we've got gerrymandering and other forms of voter suppression at play, of which the right tends to be the beneficiary of more often than not. Their current poster boy in the form of the President is very much Not A Good Person(tm) and the concern his traits have emboldened others of similar mind is not unfounded. What would four more years of that do to us? Or if a younger, more charismatic 2.0 springs up? You simply can't keep treating certain demographics as sub-human and not expect an eventual backlash from them and their allies. How often is Florida the center of some form of electoral controversy? Georgia should probably have a different governor right now, too. Or a glaring lack of outrage that Alabama is even entertaining putting a pedophile in office again. It's just, like... holy shitballs, man. We're just supposed to believe the right when they say they're not like all the bad people, but they still vote for them anyway. I'm sorry, but at some point, a certain degree of complicity has to be established. If voting is our new warfare, then those are their bullets shot at the rest of the country. And surprise, bodies are hitting the floor, literally and metaphorically.

    Of course, should you be sitting there rolling your eyes or thinking I'm being overdramatic, I'll just say we're not past a point of no return. It's getting close, though. We're just a few more tax cuts for the rich away. Some more jobs/markets moving out. More kids being unable to afford college while low-skill jobs get automated. More falling into crippling medical debt. More infrastructure crumbling without sign of repair. Toss in a random natural disaster that trashes an area and gets under-aided by FEMA for good measure because climate change is a hoax. We've already seen inklings of the discontent through the electoral college and how those are annoyed that people hundreds, if not thousands of miles away somehow have a (greater) say in their own immediate local needs. To say the system is broken and/or corrupt is probably an understatement, but y'know, incrementalism...! Yay....?
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  3. #3103
    Caesar Salad
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    17,403
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    My unspoken point when more or less setting off this thought chain is that we've had a steady degradation of the middle/lower class since the 80s. Wealth distribution, liveable wages, levels/quality of education, cost of said education, access to affordable healthcare, access to jobs, and then some, are all woven together into what helps to account for a citizen's level of happiness. Toss in the Deplorable talking points as a wild card and you'll then get differing reasons for why the other stuff is in a bad place, though often disassociated with the reality of it all, but nonetheless an effective distraction because individually solving these problems for yourself is pretty much impossible barring winning a giant lottery.

    Nonetheless, we've got gerrymandering and other forms of voter suppression at play, of which the right tends to be the beneficiary of more often than not. Their current poster boy in the form of the President is very much Not A Good Person(tm) and the concern his traits have emboldened others of similar mind is not unfounded. What would four more years of that do to us? Or if a younger, more charismatic 2.0 springs up? You simply can't keep treating certain demographics as sub-human and not expect an eventual backlash from them and their allies. How often is Florida the center of some form of electoral controversy? Georgia should probably have a different governor right now, too. Or a glaring lack of outrage that Alabama is even entertaining putting a pedophile in office again. It's just, like... holy shitballs, man. We're just supposed to believe the right when they say they're not like all the bad people, but they still vote for them anyway. I'm sorry, but at some point, a certain degree of complicity has to be established. If voting is our new warfare, then those are their bullets shot at the rest of the country. And surprise, bodies are hitting the floor, literally and metaphorically.

    Of course, should you be sitting there rolling your eyes or thinking I'm being overdramatic, I'll just say we're not past a point of no return. It's getting close, though. We're just a few more tax cuts for the rich away. Some more jobs/markets moving out. More kids being unable to afford college while low-skill jobs get automated. More falling into crippling medical debt. More infrastructure crumbling without sign of repair. Toss in a random natural disaster that trashes an area and gets under-aided by FEMA for good measure because climate change is a hoax. We've already seen inklings of the discontent through the electoral college and how those are annoyed that people hundreds, if not thousands of miles away somehow have a (greater) say in their own immediate local needs. To say the system is broken and/or corrupt is probably an understatement, but y'know, incrementalism...! Yay....?
    You need to give this speech before the first battle of the second civil war

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  4. #3104

    Sorry, I'm busy in the battle for Tifa's tits.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  5. #3105
    Caesar Salad
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    17,403
    BG Level
    9

    They're perfectly sized in the remake

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  6. #3106
    Pied Piper of the Homos
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,917
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    Quote Originally Posted by Inshiya View Post
    America's problem isn't democracy, that wasn't my inference. It's this obsession with unrestricted capitalism like it's the solution to everything. I'm not a socialist, but god damn, when half the country is filled with dumb fucks who actively fight for less wages, less workplace safety, dirtier air, undrinkable water, less healthcare, and more discrimination, you just have to sit back and wonder if the system can ever be fixed - or if it's just going to get worse as the ability to control and manipulate information increases.
    Propaganda machines i.e. Fox and conservative news media had been working since Nixon and Reagan to convince the rich are your friends and that equality, diversity and equal rights weakens the idea and structure of what made America so strong in the past. It's been extremely successful which is how we ended up in this place.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  7. #3107

    Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    They're perfectly sized in the remake

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Fake news.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  8. #3108
    RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    28,573
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

    More like fake bewbs, amirite.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  9. #3109
    Caesar Salad
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    17,403
    BG Level
    9

    Perfectly supple

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  10. #3110
    The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    23,353
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

    Medical field here is surprisingly really conservative, especially considering many of them aren't from the south (or even from this country). A few of them a really pro-gun. One neurologist I know has around a million dollars in firearms. I made the mistake of looking through FEC donation information, and searching by employer and occupation...it was really damn disheartening seeing the amount of people donating to Mitch McConnell (who admittedly has roots in the city I work in and has steered tens of millions of dollars to the city, including the very controversial funds from his wife that made news this week).
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  11. #3111
    Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    18,250
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

    Where I live and work and have worked with I didn't even know libs lefts Dems or independents even existed this forum and Reddit are like anomalies and a breath of fresh air.

    I met with a deacon yesterday about kids Baptism and all of a sudden he's talking about brown people (literally his words) immigration and other politics and I'm like my wife is a brown legal immigrant and us citizen I think I'm going to a different church.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  12. #3112
    I stick my dick in Crayfish
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    886
    BG Level
    5

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    Medical field here is surprisingly really conservative, especially considering many of them aren't from the south (or even from this country). A few of them a really pro-gun. One neurologist I know has around a million dollars in firearms. I made the mistake of looking through FEC donation information, and searching by employer and occupation...it was really damn disheartening seeing the amount of people donating to Mitch McConnell (who admittedly has roots in the city I work in and has steered tens of millions of dollars to the city, including the very controversial funds from his wife that made news this week).
    I think it's because most doctors are not scientists. While scientists lean more towards liberalism and atheism, doctors often lack the same critical thinking instilled by rigorous application of the scientific method, and are thus largely conservative / religious.

    With respect to nurses and such, I find a lot of them are just misinformed due to their environment being mostly conservative. I had a number of nurse friends who just completely did not understand the ACA (but were vehemently against it since their bosses / colleagues shit talked it all day).
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  13. #3113
    The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    23,353
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

    Quote Originally Posted by Inshiya View Post
    I think it's because most doctors are not scientists. While scientists lean more towards liberalism and atheism, doctors often lack the same critical thinking instilled by rigorous application of the scientific method, and are thus largely conservative / religious.

    With respect to nurses and such, I find a lot of them are just misinformed due to their environment being mostly conservative. I had a number of nurse friends who just completely did not understand the ACA (but were vehemently against it since their bosses / colleagues shit talked it all day).
    I disagree with this pretty well across the board. Nurses don't really give a damn about the political views of physicians. Shit, the good portion of a shift is spent shit talking physicians. Even here in the south, the nursing profession is pretty liberal. The lobbying arm (the ANA) is also very liberal. At the same time, it isn't a particularly politically activated profession. At risk of coming across as sexist, workplace dialogue really isn't political. The ACA isn't really discussed among healthcare professionals in the work place in my experience. If your friends don't know anything about the ACA, it's probably because they don't follow politics, and I really doubt their bosses (who probably aren't physicians, as physicians don't have time to be "bosses") or colleagues are promoting a conservative environment.

    And to say that anyone that works in direct patient care or are involved in differential diagnoses lacks critical thinking skills is grossly misinformed on the profession.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  14. #3114
    Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10,100
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    You simply can't keep treating certain demographics as sub-human and not expect an eventual backlash from them and their allies
    Yah, I tend to agree with this 100%. Hehe, irony.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  15. #3115
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    20,879
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

    Quote Originally Posted by Inshiya View Post
    I think it's because most doctors are not scientists. While scientists lean more towards liberalism and atheism, doctors often lack the same critical thinking instilled by rigorous application of the scientific method, and are thus largely conservative / religious.

    With respect to nurses and such, I find a lot of them are just misinformed due to their environment being mostly conservative. I had a number of nurse friends who just completely did not understand the ACA (but were vehemently against it since their bosses / colleagues shit talked it all day).
    I disagree. I think you'll find that a lot of immigrants who came here as adults (which many of our doctors are) are going to lean conservative because many come from countries that 1. have also conservative views and 2. are worse off than the US. Repubs are conservative and love touting the US as the best country in the world (and to their view that's true).


    I always give my father mad props for being a dem despite him coming from Egypt (his family was/is rich over there and still it was nothing compared to living here), but vast majority of his family are republicans.


    It should also be noted there is this fear where the US attacks immigrants and if you are a repub and put flags everywhere you seem more of a true american than an immigrant to be hated.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  16. #3116

    It's not true that reps hate all immigrants. The problem is with the illegal immigrants and with current situation on the border. If you think open immigration won't bite you in the ass you're delusional.
    Trump proposed merit based immigration and got called racist. Guess what Canada has. Merit based immigration and people hail it a bastion of liberal ideas. When I wanted to immigrate there I had to show 16k in my bank account and a college degree. I wonder how many South Americans have that. When I did that the average salary in Poland was about 300-400 bucks a month.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  17. #3117
    Pied Piper of the Homos
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,917
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    Quote Originally Posted by Cichy View Post
    It's not true that reps hate all immigrants. The problem is with the illegal immigrants and with current situation on the border. If you think open immigration won't bite you in the ass you're delusional.
    Trump proposed merit based immigration and got called racist. Guess what Canada has. Merit based immigration and people hail it a bastion of liberal ideas. When I wanted to immigrate there I had to show 16k in my bank account and a college degree. I wonder how many South Americans have that. When I did that the average salary in Poland was about 300-400 bucks a month.
    Extremely reductive and missing all the other ways they reduced legal immigration as well but hey keep on keeping on. I'm sure if you stan hard enough for them they'll make sure their policies don't fuck you over.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  18. #3118
    Caesar Salad
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    17,403
    BG Level
    9

    Immigrants who are conservative are not fighting for Trump during the second civil war lol

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  19. #3119

    Quote Originally Posted by Milkster View Post
    Extremely reductive and missing all the other ways they reduced legal immigration as well but hey keep on keeping on. I'm sure if you stan hard enough for them they'll make sure their policies don't fuck you over.
    Been here 18 years, both sides did fuck all for immigration. It's just people like you who know nothing about the process that keep acting like experts
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  20. #3120
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    20,879
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

    Quote Originally Posted by Cichy View Post
    It's not true that reps hate all immigrants. T
    That's not what I said. I said it was a fear that they do.

    Perception is often more powerful than truth.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  


This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.


Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3012
    Last Post: 2019-01-01, 18:31
  2. Predisent Donald J. Trump: Episode VI: Return of the Wall
    By 6souls in forum Politics: Advanced Shitposting
    Replies: 3027
    Last Post: 2018-09-26, 13:52
  3. Replies: 2990
    Last Post: 2018-06-26, 01:58
  4. Predisent Donald J. Trump: Drone Wars Episode IV: A New Button
    By Sonomaa in forum Politics: Advanced Shitposting
    Replies: 3024
    Last Post: 2018-04-02, 09:33
  5. Predisent Donald J. Trump: Drone Wars Episode III: Revenge of Bernie Would Have Won
    By BaneTheBrawler in forum Politics: Advanced Shitposting
    Replies: 4989
    Last Post: 2018-01-04, 08:49
  6. Predisent Donald J. Trump: James Comey and the Giant Peach Part II: The Ripening
    By BaneTheBrawler in forum Politics: Advanced Shitposting
    Replies: 4642
    Last Post: 2017-08-03, 16:25