FFXI Server
    Asura

was 2015 when cair and co were printing money with ichor

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

It was bots rather than ichor. Stuff like Ichor they just patched.

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Viewpoint View Post
    Those threads to this day showed just how fucking arrogant some of the player base was. I mean over the top thinking their shit didn't stink until they finally got caught and punished for cheating the system.
    People are still like this, nothing changed.

S N K
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    I won't argue that but I'm sure it took awhile for a lot of players to get back to that point. To me tho it really changed the landscape. The Dupe trick was treated as if you don't know then you don't need to know kinda thing. I always felt that was just the highlight of being a elitist idiot.

Campaign
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fondue View Post
    bans for what tho
    Several things.
    RMT mostly, then usage of third party tools. Back then they became so common pretty much a very large part of the population felt "safe" using them.
    After that series of bans they became very rare again, it took several years for people to feel "safe" using them once more. As of late I feel a lot of people are using them again, altough probably not as many as back then...

Campaign
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    I kinda completely agree and disagree with this at the same time D:

I dunno, from a certain perspective of course things haven't changed, they never will, it's fucking human nature, what did anyone expect?
    From another point of view though several things changed across the years. Mostly the numbers dwindled. In game of course but even moreso on online communities.
    Overall there is much more widespread knowledge of the game, thanks to (but not only to) the Wikis. The level of the "average player" increased tons compared to what you would expect, say, in 2014 for instance.
    I'd say on average the userbase on these communities are less elitist. BG-Wiki is much less elitist than it used to be, places like KillingIfrit (which was incredibly full of bitter, blunt people who, in hindsight, feel like they were living in some sort of primitive world where the rule of the fittest was their necessary daily routine for survival) don't exist anymore, FFXIAH gained more and more importance and atm is probably the most relevant FFXI-related western community.
    I think there are less completely clueless noobs, less people of the category I described above and overall I feel the community in itself is more relaxed than it used to be during the peak days of FFXI.
    Surely that can't be just my impression?

Even in terms of how widespread bots/thirdpartytools are nowadays uh, I feel they are common again, not as much as in 2015 maybe but very common for sure. Still it took a long time to get back to those levels, didn't it? So technically things changed, so to say.

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sechs View Post
    Several things.
    RMT mostly, then usage of third party tools. Back then they became so common pretty much a very large part of the population felt "safe" using them.
    After that series ban they became very rare again, it took several years for people to feel "safe" using them again. As of late I feel a lot of people are using them again, altough probably not as many as back then...
    I thought they were more regularly banning for speed hacks specifically now?

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Just in the past few months I've watched people using bots or programs for killing trial NMs or things for sparks. And then the hordes of rmt. I figured rmt would've been dead in 2018/2019 but nope!

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

They are banning for people reporting you and that is probably all.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    They are banning for people reporting you and that is probably all.
    They seem to have absolutely zero interest in banning anymore... it's identical to what happened in 2015. Shit started pretty tame... then got completely ridiculous, then the banhammer swungith. every single person i knew got bopped. and I didn't. Hilarious.

There are entire alliances of dragoon bots that clip into the walls to get pl'd weekly. Then used as spark bots for a week or so. Then get sold. I watch the same guy start out with one bot... and grow it into 4 entire parties of bots. it's insane. There are RMT shouts again ffs! so many RMT "they" are slitting each others throats dropping the price lower and lower.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    I thought they were more regularly banning for speed hacks specifically now?
    I dont think they ever tracked speed hacking, other than the “you are unable to enter this area” for zooming through a zone too fast.

Which ironically wouldnt flag if you zoned into an area where the zone line is behind a cutscene. So when fiat lux was a thing and roundel earrings (the yagudo fight one) were still worth a lot, you could port to meri and zoom through to oztroja at 500% speed then zone into the castle without getting flagged.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

After the Salvage bans, my only temp was for autobuying stuff off the AH.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The subject of bots reminds me of the fishing bot extravaganza that was remedied by the implementation of the Gobin Executioners, or whatever they were named. Seeing over 100 dead bodies outside of Windurst the next day was a bit satisfying to look at.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
    The subject of bots reminds me of the fishing bot extravaganza that was remedied by the implementation of the Gobin Executioners, or whatever they were named. Seeing over 100 dead bodies outside of Windurst the next day was a bit satisfying to look at.
    Don't worry, people still refuse to read even the lightest update notes to this day.

"WOAH WHEN DID THEY ADD THESE GOBLINS?!"

Is akin to:

"Known Issues:
    An issue wherein players who have augmented Death Penalty or Gastraphes are unable to complete Coming Full Circle"

"/yell HEY GUYS WHY CAN'T I COMPLETE MY MYTHIC! IT WON'T GIVE ME THE CUTSCENE AND WIKI DOESN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT!"

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

if only people could read and memorize every update note that came out in a game they likely took a break from for years we wouldn't have this problem

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Day View Post
    if only people could read and memorize every update note that came out in a game they likely took a break from for years we wouldn't have this problem
    Oh yes, memorizing everything is clearly the only alternative to not bothering to read or caring to be even the slightest bit informed.
    I mean how could people who take a break from a game they once played ever have some basic amount of competence?!

The update notes could be a fortune cookie in length and I am sure someone would still step up to deliver this sort of snooty reasoning. Hence why once again, nothing has really changed in 10 years.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME

BG Level

the irony in you saying the arrogant playerbase hasn't changed is hilarious my man

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Day View Post
    the irony in you saying the arrogant playerbase hasn't changed is hilarious my man
    The game has changed, but the community is ultimately still following the same playbook. Similar to your posting.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME

BG Level

why on earth would i change what ain't broke

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server