+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
    Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Malithar View Post
    In today's age of scalable graphics, I don't understand why they don't just create HD models and scale down as needed. Sure, it'd essentially be asset sharing between various versions, but it makes more sense to me than trying to create 800+ unique models every time they make a new game.
    They did.

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I think this news seals the deal for me on not getting this at launch.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I think people are overblowing this transfer limit.

I'm pretty sure they limited Pokebank transfers to Aloan only for the first few months before opening the national dex on Sun/Moon. To me, all this says is that to get Sword/Shield out in the timeframe they have, they've limited it to these 300 and the other 500+ will be coming later on.

Edit: Wait, didn't they just flat out not allow Pokebank xfer for the first few months? This still sounds like the same thing to me. Give them until after the holidays. Even if they do it in chunks (leftover gen 1+2, leftover gen 3+4, etc) we will have all 800+ in game at some point.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

You couldn't transfer in early sun/moon with bank, because bank wasn't released yet. The pokemon were all still in the game data, which seems like it won't be the case with sword/shield.

The director of gamefreak apparently said the pokedex limitations are an intentional, new direction for the series. They want to focus on selecting pokemon that fit the setting, make them more 'expressive' (whatever that means, since the old pokemon seem to be copy/pasted from 3ds), improve gameplay balance, and churn out games faster. From a translated interview on a site that shall not be named.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Really hope this is just a temporary thing, because I've put a lot of time into making a living dex and this just kind of feels like it goes against the whole "gotta catch 'em all".

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

It isn't just a transfer limit, the pokemon PHYSICALLY DON'T EXIST in the game. You will NEVER get them. Period. There's even more info available now saying it will be this way going into the future as well.

Can deny it all we want but Pokemon is dead as of today for me.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I can see it being nice for PVP where your pool selection is limited so you have to work around what you have... but at the same time, if you straight up just cant bring certain Pokemon to certain regions, thats going to suck ass. I wonder if they've considered some people have "Favorite Pokemon" and if those Pokemon dont make the cut those people may just not buy the game?

Maybe approaching 1,000 unique Pokemon, voices, shiny version, etc etc is starting to eat up too much of the games ... stuff? Or are they just getting lazy... I really want to know what their reasoning for this actually is and not just the PR reasoning.

Ridill
    BG Level

Honestly, I really like the idea of heavily restricting what pokemon you have access to. My first playthrough of pokemon games I usually just go along with what I catch and go through the game with the newer stuff. It could make pvp more interesting too, if you think of it as a card game switching out sets. It would need proper implementation of course.

And as far as the "I cant have my favorite pokemon" mindset, it's a different game. Youd always have the option of playing the other games with it in them. Sequels to other games often get rid of characters and things you like in their previous entries.

The obvious problem with this is their "Gotta Catch Em All" motto. But even then, from the very start, youve had to buy multiple games to get them all. (Or trade.)

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

And as far as the "I cant have my favorite pokemon" mindset, it's a different game. Youd always have the option of playing the other games with it in them.
    I do appreciate your most optimistic approach to this, but darn I just can't get behind that. There's 20+ years of precedent set by the Pokemon main-line games allowing you to enjoy all your favorite Pokemon either in game or through trading, even if its locked out til past Endgame and the National Dex which I think was working just fine to "force" people to experience the new game with the new Pokemon. a 180 on that just feels dirty, a bad direction for the series to take, IMO.

I want to play the new hotness, not the old busted. I want to play the Open World area with free camera view and visible Wild Pokemon, I want to do the Co-Op Raid battles with my favorite Pokemon, I want to be able to tackle whatever endgame content they have with new and old favorites... I want to experience the new story, and I don't care about PVP I never do it. I want the choice, and option, they've given me and designed entire systems around (Pokemon Bank/etc).

For what its worth, every Pokemon game I play, I always play with the Pokemon i catch in that game. I've gotten new favorites that way too, I love that Candle Pokemon (Litwick) from B/W for instance. In every Pokemon game I've played, the only Pokemon I've brought from generation to generation are the Shiny Poke' I caught or raised simply because of how rare they are and what they mean to me.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    It could make pvp more interesting too, if you think of it as a card game switching out sets. It would need proper implementation of course.
    The 3ds games already have the ability to identify/restrict the pokemon you can battle with based on what generation they came from. Recent official tournaments for example only allow pokemon caught in SM/USUM.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

It's absolutely asinine and nonsensical to celebrate this by effectively saying that it's okay to remove player agency in deciding what they want to do and how they want to do it, in this case by limiting what Pokemon you can and can't own in the game.

It also makes Pokemon Home a complete waste of time and resources.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    It's absolutely asinine and nonsensical to celebrate this by effectively saying that it's okay to remove player agency in deciding what they want to do and how they want to do it, in this case by limiting what Pokemon you can and can't own in the game.
    I'd use the word 'understand' rather than celebrate. Fighting games take characters out all the time and while its typically met with some annoyed consumers, it's considered a norm. And if Pokemon keeps creating new pokemon and just continually adding them all into the game, I can see how demotivating that could be to the creative team behind the games.

But let me also state this; that translated article a few posts above is likely taken completely out of context and misunderstood. I dont doubt for a second that SS will be just like the last few games where select pokemon are in the wild and once endgame opens up and/or some time passes, all of them will make an appearance somehow, one way or another.

Inb4 pokemon as dlc

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Version exclusive gyms..? Dunno how I feel about that one..

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Yeah that's a bit of an oof to me.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I don't see how version exclusive gyms is different from gym leaders carrying 1 or 2 different pokemon between versions previously.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

black and white and BW2 had 1 semi version exclusive gym.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Wasn't it just different gym leaders (who still used the same Pokemon)?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    Wasn't it just different gym leaders (who still used the same Pokemon)?
    Yeah, I had to double check but they did use the same, if gender swapped, pokemon. And I also forgot Drayden was in both versions of BW2.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post

Version exclusive gyms..? Dunno how I feel about that one..
    The Pokémon Company International revealed details today about the Gigantamax phenomenon in the highly anticipated upcoming video games Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield. Newly discovered Pokémon, details about the Galar Pokémon League, and more were also revealed. Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield launch November 15, 2019, exclusively on the Nintendo Switch system.

Gigantamax Pokémon

The previously discovered phenomenon known as Dynamaxing can only occur in specific areas of the Galar region. While Dynamaxing seems to be a phenomenon common to Pokémon from Galar, it’s been discovered that there’s a special phenomenon known as Gigantamaxing. Not only do Gigantamax Pokémon become bigger, but their appearance also changes. Like normal Dynamaxing, Gigantamaxing boosts the power of the Pokémon—and it also allows each Gigantamax Pokémon to use a unique move known as a G-Max Move. Each G-Max Move is particular to a specific species of Gigantamax Pokémon, and regular Dynamax Pokémon are not able to use G-Max Moves. Only certain species of Pokémon can Gigantamax—and even among such species, only rare specimens will be able to Gigantamax. The majority of Pokémon will keep their usual appearance when they Dynamax. Two Pokémon species revealed to have Gigantamaxing capabilities today are Drednaw and Corviknight.

Gigantamax Drednaw
    Type: Water/Rock
    Height: 78′9″+
    Weight: Unknown
    Ability: Strong Jaw / Shell Armor

The power of Gigantamaxing has allowed Drednaw to stand on its hind legs and become bipedal. From its standing position, it can come crashing down on opposing Pokémon and crush them with its massive body. Drednaw normally keeps its neck retracted within its shell, but when it attacks, it can rapidly shoot its neck out. Its jaws are also incredibly strong and can easily bite through huge metal towers. The strength of its jaws combined with the force of its neck gives Drednaw the power to punch a hole through a rocky mountain in a single strike. Water-type moves used by Gigantamax Drednaw will change to G-Max Stonesurge. G-Max Stonesurge doesn’t just deal damage to an opponent—it will scatter sharp rocks around the opponent and cause Pokémon entering the battlefield to take damage.

Gigantamax Corviknight
    Type: Flying/Steel
    Height: 45′11″+
    Ability: Pressure/Unnerve

Corviknight uses its massive wings to catch updrafts created by Gigantamax energy to hover in the air while it battles. The armor on its body has been reinforced, so attacks from Pokémon on the ground barely have any effect. Gigantamax energy has caused the armor covering Corviknight’s wings to separate and become blade birds, capable of flying independently. Flying-type moves used by Gigantamax Corviknight will change to G-Max Wind Rage, which removes any effects of moves like Reflect, Light Screen, Spikes, and Electric Terrain that the opponents may have.

Newly Discovered Pokémon of the Galar Region

Alcremie
    Category: Cream Pokémon
    Type: Fairy
    Height: 1′
    Weight: 1.1 lbs.
    Ability: Sweet Veil

Alcremie can produce whipped cream, which becomes richer the happier Alcremie is feeling. Desserts made using this cream are invariably delicious, so many pastry chefs strive to have an Alcremie as their partner. When attacked by an opponent, Alcremie will throw sweet-scented cream to distract them or temporarily blind them, giving itself time to escape.

Gigantamax Alcremie
    Type: Fairy
    Height: 98′5″+
    Ability: Sweet Veil

The cream pouring out of its body hardens when subjected to impacts—the stronger the impact, the harder it becomes—giving Alcremie an impressive resistance to physical attacks. Additionally, the giant “Berry” decorations on Alcremie’s body are as hard as diamonds, and it’s said that most attacks won’t even be able to leave a scratch. Alcremie will launch high-calorie cream missiles around itself to attack its opponents. Any Pokémon that touches this cream will be filled with energy and euphoria but at the same time will fall into a state of complete confusion. Fairy-type moves used by Gigantamax Alcremie will change to G-Max Finale, which will heal all Pokémon on Alcremie’s side while dealing damage to an opponent.

Yamper
    Category: Puppy Pokémon
    Type: Electric
    Weight: 29.8 lbs.
    Ability: Ball Fetch

Yamper tends to be drawn to things that are moving quickly. It can chase after people, Pokémon, or even vehicles. It has an organ in its body that generates electricity, and it’s activated when Yamper runs around. Yamper can’t store the electricity it generates, so it’s often seen running around with electric sparks crackling around it. Yamper’s Ability, Ball Fetch, is a new Ability that comes into play when the Trainer throws a Poké Ball at a wild Pokémon but fails to catch it. If Yamper isn’t holding an item, it will fetch the first Poké Ball that failed to catch the Pokémon, regardless of what type of Poké Ball it is.

Rolycoly
    Category: Coal Pokémon
    Type: Rock
    Weight: 26.5 lbs.
    Ability: Steam Engine / Heatproof

Rolycoly’s red eye can illuminate dark areas, while it uses the lump of coal attached to its body like a wheel to move through coal mines and caves. It is able to travel smoothly even over rough terrain. Until about one hundred years ago, every household in the Galar region had a Rolycoly. The families would use the coal that dropped off its body for cooking and heating their homes. Rolycoly’s Ability, Steam Engine, is a new Ability that provides a Speed stat boost if it’s hit with a Fire- or Water-type move during battle.

Duraludon
    Category: Alloy Pokémon
    Type: Steel/Dragon
    Height: 5′11″
    Weight: 88.2 lbs.
    Ability: Light Metal / Heavy Metal

Duraludon live in caves and mountainous areas. Their two arms have slightly different shapes, and they use them to grind down rock surfaces for food. Its body is composed of incredibly durable metal but is also surprisingly light, so Duraludon can move quite quickly despite its appearance. Its body is susceptible to corrosion, however, and is known to rust easily. They share their habitat with Tyranitar, so these two Pokémon are often seen battling each other in the mountains of the Galar region.

The Galar Region Pokémon League

In the Galar region, where Pokémon battles are big entertainment, the region’s Pokémon League holds tournaments to determine the next Pokémon Champion. Players will have to compete with their rivals and challenge the Gym Leaders of the region for their chance to take part in this tournament.

The Gym Challenge is a true celebration of Pokémon battling. Participating Trainers strive to collect all eight Gym Badges, and only Pokémon Trainers who have been endorsed by specific people, such as Gym Leaders, can join. During the Gym Challenge, each challenger wears a special uniform for the occasion. Trainers can choose the combination of three numbers on their own uniform.

Once a year, a series of Pokémon battles known as the Champion Cup are held in the Galar region. The Champion Cup decides who will be able to challenge the reigning Champion for their seat. Exemplary Trainers throughout the region, such as those who successfully complete the Gym Challenge, can participate in the Champion Cup tournament. The Champion Cup battles are broadcast on TV in the Galar region and are watched by everyone.

People of the Galar Region

Leon - Leon is the strongest Trainer in the Galar region, and he won the Championship in his first-ever Gym Challenge—without being defeated in battle a single time. To this day, his winning streak continues to grow, and his formidable talent for Pokémon battles is unmatched. He’s aided in his countless victories by his partner Charizard, and he’s known to go all out during battles, no matter who he’s facing. His battle style has captured the hearts of the people of Galar.

Chairman Rose - Rose is the chairman of the Galar Pokémon League and the president of a large business conglomerate. He’s made the Galar Pokémon League famous by implementing Gym Battles featuring the Dynamax phenomenon. Chairman Rose was also the first to endorse Leon for the Gym Challenge.

Oleana - Oleana is Chairman Rose’s secretary and is known for her calm and collected personality. She also serves as the vice president of Rose’s company and is largely in charge of the day-to-day running of the company.

Bea - Bea is a prodigy in Galar karate, carrying on its century-old traditions and techniques. Known for her stoicism and rarely showing her emotions, Bea is also an expert on Fighting-type Pokémon. Her battle style remains very precise even when she’s backed into a corner.

Allister - Allister is a talented Trainer of Ghost-type Pokémon who has taken on the mantle of the Ghost-type Gym Leader at a young age. He’s extremely shy and fearful, and he always hides his face with a mask when around other people. Allister rarely makes public appearances and apparently spends most of his time around ruins or in cemeteries.

Certain towns in the Galar region will have different Gyms that Trainers can challenge depending on whether they’re playing Pokémon Sword or Pokémon Shield. In Pokémon Sword, they will face down Bea, while in Pokémon Shield, they can test their skills against Allister.

Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield Dual Pack SteelBook Edition

As a special bonus for purchasing the Dual Pack SteelBook Edition, Trainers will receive two codes (one per game) that will reward them with special items known as Dynamax Crystals. By using the Dynamax Crystals in the Wild Area, Trainers will be able to face Dynamax Larvitar and Dynamax Jangmo-o, Pokémon that are normally encountered later in the game, in special Max Raid Battles. Larvitar won’t appear in Pokémon Sword and Jangmo-o won’t appear in Pokémon Shield during normal gameplay, but players will be able to catch them in either version by using these Dynamax Crystals.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast