+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 48 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 ... LastLast
    Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    Because that's not pokemon..? If you want to play XV or Monster Hunter, play those games, but don't complain because Pokemon isn't those games.
    so pokémon should be a game-franchise stuck 20 years ago that doesnt evolve with its demographic that gets older too or doesnt try to be fresh?
    I mean we dont need to go very far: How many times has the battle system or core mechanics changed of a numbered Final Fantasy main title? Do those changes make those games NOT a Final Fantasy game?

Is Zelda Breath of the Wild not a Legend of Zelda game because they threw their previous formula out of the window for an open world game?

Can an RPG not have a realtime combat system mixed in with a turn based system? Or have an open world with a ongoing-Story (not like the Story of any Pokémon game was actually anything to write home about)?

You can only ride a gaming Franchise for so long with the same basic stuff until it dies. No evolution is 2 steps backwards. (Pokémon sword and shield actually took 5 steps backwards, because it failed to make proper use on a home console release).

The Franchise is dead to me for now as a game.

I dont get why Gamefreaks is compared to a lower standart then lets say Nintendo, Square Enix or other game companies that deliver high quality games. If someone like Square would pull the bullshit that Gamefreaks and the Pokémon company did with Pokémon games in terms of quality and innovation they would get murdered by their Fans and Audience.

It is high time that everyone raises the bar on Pokémon. The honeymoon phase is long over and they are playing now on the home console Triple AAA field not on a limited Handheld device.

Ridill
    BG Level

Your comparison is somewhat apt, but also flawed. Pokemon started out targeting children. It never stopped targeting children. That they've been able to keep an aging demographic is just a bonus for them.

Do things need to change? Definitely. I've criticized the game harshly and it's going down as the worst installment for me. But railing on Pokemon for not growing with their audience into some Skyrim mod is like getting mad that Sesame Street didn't transform into some gritty CSI style bullshit as their initial viewers grew older.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    Sesame Street didn't transform into some gritty CSI style bullshit as their initial viewers grew older.
    I suddenly want something I never knew I wanted.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Sesame Street didn't transform into some gritty CSI style bullshit as their initial viewers grew older.
    They did move to HBO, though.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Temtem looks really good actually, just watched a few recent update and alpha vids.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Temtem looks really good actually, just watched a few recent update and alpha vids.
    Just watched a review that spent the first minute or so saying how stale pokemon has gotten and how it doesn't ever change the formula and decried it as a horrible terrible thing. A minute later he's saying TemTem is a wonderful game, which does the same exact things as pokemon for the most part.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Just watched a review that spent the first minute or so saying how stale pokemon has gotten and how it doesn't ever change the formula and decried it as a horrible terrible thing. A minute later he's saying TemTem is a wonderful game, which does the same exact things as pokemon for the most part.
    I think the most recent video in the Temtem thread is the guy shitting on sword and shield for three and a half minutes, some of it very valid but some of it exactly what you're saying. But after the three and a half minutes it's great so just skip to there lol.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    I think the most recent video in the Temtem thread is the guy shitting on sword and shield for three and a half minutes, some of it very valid but some of it exactly what you're saying. But after the three and a half minutes it's great so just skip to there lol.
    Oh, that's exactly the video I had just watched lol. It showed up randomly on my youtube homepage

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Your comparison is somewhat apt, but also flawed. Pokemon started out targeting children. It never stopped targeting children. That they've been able to keep an aging demographic is just a bonus for them.

Do things need to change? Definitely. I've criticized the game harshly and it's going down as the worst installment for me. But railing on Pokemon for not growing with their audience into some Skyrim mod is like getting mad that Sesame Street didn't transform into some gritty CSI style bullshit as their initial viewers grew older.
    By your definition a game can never target multiple demographic ages? yes the ESRB ratings probably matter and Pokémon prolly allways wants to achieve an E (so the Story will allways be limited)but do you really think that a Child can not have the grasp for a more complex game and that there is no possibility for a Developer to actually develop a game that can target multiple audiences with different challenges/difficultys in mind?

The more interesting question is whats the demographic disparity between the Sword/Shield buyers. Latest official statement from Nintendo i have in mind is that Sun and Moon pulled in more players in their 20s or 30s but there werent any numbers presented on how much that was % wise compared to the total playerbase (prolly an effect of Pokémon Go).

also your Sesame Street comparison is kinda flawed, i never asked for a more older apearance style of the game. And you can pull of a presentation that apeals to child audience on older audience (we have seen it many times in movies/cartoons where most children dont get some jokes but the older audience gets it).

Ridill
    BG Level

To close this up, I'll just say that Pokemon is a fluke for the ages. A freak of nature. A skewed result on a graph. An undefinable.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

It should have been Digimon that got the popularity. Way better story, better anime, better games that are actually geared towards adults.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

I think there are only like five of you actually playing this gen (and fewer who take part in the endgame/competitive side..), but after spending over 200k watts, I finally have a perish body Cursola -- so if anyone wants a cursed body Corsola to join me in being a trashcan, let me know. They're relaxed nature and have haze.

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

garts, setup potential sounds fun with that. I got my 6iv Mawile yesterday. I have no fucking idea what to build around it but it's been my main every gen it's been in and I'll figure it out. Bit neutered here without Mega but still a favorite. I always liked Substitute and Focus Punch but without Focus I've been thinking about running something to drain back the HP and just be a nuisance. Or Swords Dance and kill it with several fires.

So, same I guess if anyone wants one of mine. I've got a few 5iv that are just missing SpA. Intimidate, Lonely nature. Could swap to adamant with a mint though. Breeding for Alcremie next. I got a decent foreign parent through WT so I'm hopeful a decent one'll pop out shiny, similar boat that I'm not sure what I'll do with it.

I've got a 6iv Ditto so I'm just making all the things until I settle on something to finish the tower and start in competitive.

Ridill
    BG Level

Making sure I know how chaining works in this game;
    Been looking for high IV Ditto.
    Step 1. Encounter Ditto and catch or kill
    Step 2. Repeat indefinitely unless...
    Step 3. If encounter any other pokemon, run away to retain chain and continue on to Step 2.

Asking because I got to I think chain 22-25 and all I'm getting are Decents to Pretty Goods. Does putting your Switch to sleep reset the chain?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Making sure I know how chaining works in this game;
    Been looking for high IV Ditto.
    Step 1. Encounter Ditto and catch or kill
    Step 2. Repeat indefinitely unless...
    Step 3. If encounter any other pokemon, run away to retain chain and continue on to Step 2.

Asking because I got to I think chain 22-25 and all I'm getting are Decents to Pretty Goods. Does putting your Switch to sleep reset the chain?
    There's only 2 chains that I know of in this game and they never reset. First is for aura pokemon which have at least 2 capped IV and can have egg moves etc. Other is just for higher shiny rate. Aura caps out at 100 kill/capture, and shiny is 500. You can check how many you've fought in the pokedex on the specific pokemons page.

Ridill
    BG Level

Sounds terrible.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Best way to get a high IV ditto is raids unfortunately.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

If you've got the watts, there's a den that is always Ditto for its rare spawn (purple beam). If you get a five-star one, I believe that's guaranteed to be at least four perfect IVs.

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

You can cheese out raids if you're wanting to just get past that point with breeding. 5iv shouldn't take long, but 6 can take forever.

Turn auto save off, text speed to slow, make a manual save and go wishing stone the raid den with Ditto.

When it goes to save your game, the den will display as soon you agree to save and if it's red, hit home quickly and restart the game before the second line of text appears. Game won't save. If it's purple, start re-rolling until 5 star by inviting people, changing the date forward one day in your system settings, then quitting and checking the den again. Gives 2k watts every time too. Once you find a 5 star, save manually and catch it. If the ditto isn't 5+iv, reload save and re-roll a couple times for a fresh 5 star and try again.

Some people will hate that method but I think I'd hate the endless grind more. Good way to make money as well if you convert watts to luxury balls and sell them. Regardless of the exploit that's been my go-to. Since pokebux can max out a mons EVs now, it's way quicker to get a team up and running. This seems to be how people are rolling for shiny gmax too.

Fair warning: If you're too slow to close your game while it's saving, you're going to fuck your save up. It's hard to do with text speed on slow though. Once your den is purple you can set it back to fast or whatever you typically use.

Ridill
    BG Level

Thanks for the help.