Closed Thread
Page 8 of 154 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast
    Professional Pixel Pusher
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I don't watch the news regularly, or even live tv for that matter. I don't use facebook (outside of private messaging) or instagram, I only use twitter to see when my friend is live streaming. I do watch or listen to a fair number of podcasts/pundits on youtube. I do browse some reddit subs, but mainly the /Canada one and various videogame series ones.

Edit: Perhaps potential target is poor wording. Now that I think everyone is a potential target, I want to make sure I'm not susceptible to it.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Study logic.

Home Theatre Aficionado
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Vandalhart View Post
    I don't watch the news regularly, or even live tv for that matter. I don't use facebook (outside of private messaging) or instagram, I only use twitter to see when my friend is live streaming. I do watch or listen to a fair number of podcasts/pundits on youtube. I do browse some reddit subs, but mainly the /Canada one and various videogame series ones.

Edit: Perhaps potential target is poor wording. Now that I think everyone is a potential target, I want to make sure I'm not susceptible to it.
    Good on you for actually thinking about and discussing this. Content that preys on our natural human impulses is the most insidious problem with "news" in the modern era. We like stories that reinforce our own beliefs, that tear down the other or outsider, that simplify the world for us, or play on our fears.

I suggest you try and be more critical of perspectives that reinforce your beliefs. Assume that there are nuances to the things you read online that are left out of the story, maybe because of lazy journalism, source bias, desire for clicks over content, or lack of available perspective. Not all issues have two sides and forcing balance in an argument for the sake of having balance doesn't mean that both sides have equal weight. Always be wary of "easy" solutions to complicated situations, coming from the world of physics I far too often see people take principles they don't understand and overly simplify them to explain justify bat-shit crazy things (quantum mechanics allows our minds to shape reality, ect). Resist the urge to demonize the people you disagree with and try and really consider things from their perspective. People can be wrong, and people can even do things you disagree with, but attacking them instead of their ideas only makes you feel better (if even that). Distrust the use of stories as a form of argument. Stories can be powerful and convincing. For that reason, people often misuse them to convince others of falsehoods and frequently not maliciously. Stories can help give perspective to ideas, but not always validity. Lastly, be cautious of fear merchants. It's too easy to convince people things are changing for the worse. That's not to say there aren't serious problems that are getting worse by the day (global climate change for one). Just be cautious when people try and stoke fear that they don't have an ulterior motive or don't have all the facts themselves.

Been my experience on a lot of other gaming sites that bombastic right-wing rhetoric tends to be more of the norm, too. Especially when it comes to anti-casual whines. If the game also happens to have a competitive aspect, you further open the door to that sort of antagonistic behavior. Such may not be obviously political, but if you ever find yourself repeating that jargon, then it's certainly got its hooks in you and translating that to other issues shouldn't be too far-fetched. Further stop to think how many male gamers there are between 12-21 and you could draw some lines of subtle indoctrination, too.

But I'd also say kids are more likely to emulate their parents' political views, short of them really hating their folks and veering in an opposite direction. Gaming will either further encourage those or lead someone to feel pretty isolated when what they think/feel doesn't seem mainstream, which isn't quite to be confused with certain places being echo chambers. Sometimes it's a fault of shit moderators or traffic being too much for people to see everything that goes on.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The promise of incel ideology is that it appeals to a time where, by nature of their birth, men were destined and entitled to certain things. Even if you weren't a doctor or lawyer, with women being relegated to relatively slim career opportunities, you still had advantage in being a man. Now they feel that's gone because equality means that all the women chase Chads instead of settling for Groggle's agriarian utopia.

These same feelings of invaders coming in and taking away what they deserve is what fuels nerds of various persuasions to react poorly to female presence, representation, etc.

The anti-casual thing is related to the same resentment of being replaced.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Tekki's Bitch
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    The promise of incel ideology is that it appeals to a time where, by nature of their birth, men were destined and entitled to certain things. Even if you weren't a doctor or lawyer, with women being relegated to relatively slim career opportunities, you still had advantage in being a man. Now they feel that's gone because equality means that all the women chase Chads instead of settling for Groggle's agriarian utopia.

These same feelings of invaders coming in and taking away what they deserve is what fuels nerds of various persuasions to react poorly to female presence, representation, etc.

The anti-casual thing is related to the same resentment of being replaced.
    It was our server gred and those outsiders deserved nothing.

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

Also since when is Laci Green alt-right? iirc she was the dildo talking sex positive lbgtq+ youtuber with the big ol titties everyone wanted to hatefuck as a result of gamergate

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by thetruepandagod View Post
    Also since when is Laci Green alt-right? iirc she was the dildo talking sex positive lbgtq+ youtuber with the big ol titties everyone wanted to hatefuck as a result of gamergate
    My sweet summer child

https://theestablishment.co/the-sad-...-322515344297/

https://medium.com/@arodriguez2132/w...l-18e547219b99

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/6/9...y-gay-babadook

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

Ah, that makes sense as to why I kept seeing people say a good alt-right dicking is all these sorts of girls need ala chris ray gun.

Burninate all the things.
    BG Level

I appreciate the actual reply, though I think you fell into Milkster's trap here.

He has successfully kage bunshin no jutsu'd calling him out on the heretofore unsubstantiated link between "following people on Twitter" and "being a white supremacist" with defending PDP or claiming that there isn't evidence that PDP holds problematic views.

There is evidence that PDP holds or at least propagates problematic views. You just linked some. His twitter follows are not a part of that body of evidence. Or, at the very least, their inclusion in that body of evidence has not seen any defense at all from the source, ie Milkster.

Barring an actual defense of the dangers of following people on Twitter (which may exist, despite Milkster's failure to provide one), the only reason to post PDP's Twitter follows on their own instead of just relying on the large quantity of existing data would be to troll moderates and center-lefts into arguing with him and pull far-lefts deeper into a ridiculous rabbit hole wherein even acknowledging the existence of alt-right views is inherently dangerous.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Ok, but do you follow Ben Shapiro? Case and point.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I like to eat food
    BG Level

If I go on my twitter right now and follow Ben Shapiro, am I automatically a white supremacist?

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

It's not impossible that you're a white supremicist

I like to eat food
    BG Level

But it doesn't automatically mean I'm a white supremacist, correct? You'd need more evidence to say that I were in fact a white supremacist?

That was his point. He could be a white supremacist, but just because you follow people on twitter doesn't mean you are something.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

https://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/20...sm-is-showing/
    https://deadspin.com/man-this-is-som...cke-1833333738
    https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news...f-racial-slurs
    https://buffalonews.com/2019/03/18/a...ident-resigns/
    https://buffalonews.com/2019/03/17/y...lurs-continue/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvFznQqQgEg

Two players & a coach are suspended from a youth hockey league team in Cheektowaga, N.Y. after a video surfaces of them taunting a black player with monkey sounds & gestures back in January. The amateur hockey league's president resigns after it's discovered that the league was going to wait until after the playoffs to issue any discipline.

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Milkster View Post
    Pewdiepie: calls people nigger on livestreams, drops antisemitic slurs, follows and shares the rhetoric of white supremacists.
    Y'all: But is he really a white supremacist?!?!??! What evidence is there????
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    But it doesn't automatically mean I'm a white supremacist, correct? You'd need more evidence to say that I were in fact a white supremacist?

That was his point. He could be a white supremacist, but just because you follow people on twitter doesn't mean you are something.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Cool dude. That's not at all what I said is it?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I don't think Milk is saying the twitter list is all we need for proof. I think he's just laughing that the dude follows so many racists, and is throwing it into the pile of dumb shit pewdiepie does for us to laugh at.

Burninate all the things.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Eurell View Post
    I don't think Milk is saying the twitter list is all we need for proof. I think he's just laughing that the dude follows so many racists, and is throwing it into the pile of dumb shit pewdiepie does for us to laugh at.
    Don't defend him. It's dumb troll bait. I bite on occasion because I'm a masochist.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

What milk is saying is you're ignoring all the instances of pewdiepie acting like a racist and white supremacist just because milk posted a screenshot of white supremacists that PDP follows.

Or we just gonna ignore the hard Rs and antisemitism because "they're jokes and he's a troll".

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 154 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast