+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Take all the time you need, and if you want and/or need help with it, just say the word :3 As the saying goes, "Rome wasn't built in a day", no need to rush it, no deadline to keep

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I added Hiren's Boot CD, Hitman Pro, and Ubuntu (can you tell I've fixed a lot of fucked up PCs...?).

Edit: Added Streamlabs. I would suggest starting with Streamlabs which is a point-and-click OBS and then move to OBS. Streamlabs is like Windows and OBS is like Linux. Also, is that Windows 10 Tweaks evolved from Tweak XP? That is amazing!

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Yes, theshun; The Ultimate Windows Tweaker is evolved from both TweakUI from Win 98 and Tweak XP. There were both a Windows 7 and Windows 8 version of it too, but I don't know how many folks are still using the earlier versions of Windows, so I went with the Win 10 (the most recent) version for good reason! (I'll hunt the other two up if there ARE people still on Win 7 or 8, but I think there's no real reason now.)

And yeah, I can tell. I actually made me a boot cd just in case myself, tho my pc doesn't seem to get effed up, but then I know what I'm doing. ^_^

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Elizara View Post
    Yes, theshun; The Ultimate Windows Tweaker is evolved from both TweakUI from Win 98 and Tweak XP. There were both a Windows 7 and Windows 8 version of it too, but I don't know how many folks are still using the earlier versions of Windows, so I went with the Win 10 (the most recent) version for good reason! (I'll hunt the other two up if there ARE people still on Win 7 or 8, but I think there's no real reason now.)

And yeah, I can tell. I actually made me a boot cd just in case myself, tho my pc doesn't seem to get effed up, but then I know what I'm doing. ^_^
    Mine neither. I have a lot of people tell me their computer is slow or won't turn on and then I fix them.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

So okay. I looked at that spreadsheet and..since I REALLY haven't messed with spreadsheets for over 20 years (Not since college!) I'm having trouble making head nor tail of that sorting thing. (I REALLY need to take a refresher on MS Office sometime..one that's hands on, since I learn better that way)

I know how to do a basic one..VERY basic..but that's about it. I'll try but this is driving me nuts. (Not to mention my sister has been all over my behind today.) Might need some SERIOUS help getting the sort to work. [Edit] Got it roughed out: here but yeah..no sorting.

[Edit again] Thanks Niya for helping me get that fixed up. I'll go change the files in the OP, add away guys and this should be a little better organized.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Sorry about the double post (Well, not really.) but I added some Mac-specific stuff and all the old Mac software from the old list that the links still work for. (Some of that I got from TV-Nihon, which has a list of stuff to play videos with. You would expect that from a fansubber, of course.) I mean to go though the old list, which you can find here and try to save everything from it that is still relevant/has its sites still up. I'd appreciate help in that if anyone has time, since I admit, I do have to worry about RL most of the time. Basically if you help transfer that list, make sure you check the links first! If they're dead, no use, it's gone.

Once that's done, I think it'll be time to totally kill that old list (change it out in the sticky). And I'm sure there's stuff that never ever made that list since that guy disappeared so feel free to add stuff that isn't there too!

[Edit] Done and done, time to fix that sticky.
    [Edit again] Sticky fixed. ^^
    [Edit yet again to avoid a triple post]Added some stuff from Lifehacker and also the last piece of software I have lying around.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Any reliable ad blockers now days? and by reliable i mean in the sense when I go to a site it won't stop me from accessing it because it detected an ad blocker; then I have to disable the shit and refresh

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Well, might have to add a useful browser addons section then. But Cream; the best I've found so far is Ublock Origin + Nano Defender. The two together should do the trick.

And yes, it's a shame you have to install two extensions for adblocking now; one to block ads, one to shut up any "no you can't use that adblocker" alerts. And Nano Defender is a bit tricky to set up for Firefox, but oh so worth it to avoid that noise.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Thankee

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

No problem

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

OKAY! Cream Soda, you might want to grin a little. I added a new sheet to this because of your question; This one is for browser addons. Browser wise, I've put in the most popular atm for sorting reasons (THO EDGE WILL VANISH ONCE WE HAVE OFFICIAL/FULL RELEASE OF CHRONIUM-EDGE; I plan on deleting that column once that happens.); I know me and Niya don't know every useful extension. (I've put in my favs at this time that I've discovered along the way.)

So yeah, go in there guys and ADD, ADD, ADD. Don't worry if you don't know spreadsheets very well, I do check it and I can redo the sort really fast. Just keep the usual bad stuff out of there that tracks you behind your back or gets autoinstalled, k? The new tab is Useful Browser Addons.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Do people think CCleaner is worth keeping? Ever sinse they got bought out by Avast it's not as good. It constantly runs in the background, has annoying pop ups and hangs on me when I try to clean. (why are you taking forever on IE browser history I don't even use it?! ><) Is there a good alternative?

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Ccleaner is junk.

And if you're referring in any way to it's registry cleaning functions, just don't. It's always been far more likely to cause harm then help.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

No, just it's regular cleaning of old junk and files your browser may have missed. I have a SSD drive in my computer so there is no reason to use the registry cleaner.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

It is possible to literally stop it from running in the background, I do that because I don't need that noise. (You have to dig into the options though. Check off "Run CCleaner when the computer starts" and you'll be golden.) I prefer to use it on demand ONLY, which I think any smart person would rather.

I still am hunting for a better cleaner for my PHONE though, most of the cleaners for phones have crap with them. (Heck, even CCleaner has been advertising stuff you don't need on Android, and might be a matter of time before it's crapware there) If anyone has a better open source one, pleaaase link it and add it to the list. The Android CCleaner has gotten worse and worse..

And I agree..don't mess with the registry cleaner with it or you will be sorry. But since I don't have a SSD, I still find it useful. And the new update feature..I don't update from the program, but it's a good reminder to me to update stuff. Strangely I haven't had any odd popups on my windows version (maybe b/c I don't let it load with Windows?)

So yeah, I think it's worth keeping atm, unless the Windows version gets WAY worse. But yes, need a better android cleaner.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

out of curiosity, what do you lot do to your systems that make you even require CC cleaner these days? It always had massive potential to fubar your system far beyond its theoretical worth.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Hellfury; As long as you're not dumbs and use the registry cleaner; it can be a quick way to uninstall stuff + clean out the cache when your browser is stuffing up. (it's saved my firefox a few times.) I also use it after uninstalls sometimes.

It's just a tool to be used CAREFULLY.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Elizara View Post
    Hellfury; As long as you're not dumbs and use the registry cleaner; it can be a quick way to uninstall stuff + clean out the cache when your browser is stuffing up. (it's saved my firefox a few times.) I also use it after uninstalls sometimes.

It's just a tool to be used CAREFULLY.
    Hmm, why don't you just use the clear data function in firefox? is there some granulation or something extra CC Cleaner permits?

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Hellfury; I mostly use it when I'm actually having trouble loading firefox for some reason. (That's happened twice.) Basically it lets you do it WITHOUT loading the browser, which can be helpful sometimes. It also gets rid of leftovers from uninstalls, which again, can be really helpful.

I also really like it's list all programs that can be uninstalled feature so you can uninstall 'em, tho yeah, windows does that too. But that makes it be right at your fingertips.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

fair enough, I was genuinely curious

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video