She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

The Freeware List, the Sequel..(Editable by all, mind the rules please!)

So okay. I had planned on getting my little brother who was getting a pc built a usb key with my favorite freeware on it so he could pick n' choose what he wanted. That didn't work out so I made him a word *.doc list instead. I thought about it and realized, hey, this could be a good resource for everyone, not just my youngest brother. ^^ I've edited out the personal stuff and..decided to share it. Niya helped me switch it to a spreadsheet since I'm really out of date with working with spreadsheets. Mods, feel free to change this out for the old list in the sticky. NEW! Has a browser addons section that needs some luv. ^^

First off, here's the link from google:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I fixed this so anyone can edit it and add stuff/change it around. All I ask:
    1. NO. CRAPWARE OR THINGS THAT INSTALL STUFF BEHIND YOUR BACK/WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT. I can't emphasize this enough here. Installers that give you offers to install stuff is okay as long as you can opt out.
    2. Nothing that has viruses and stuff, either. No one wants to catch that crud from something they installed, of course. And prevention is often better than the cure.

Naturally even tho this is on Google Documents, I'd respectfully ask that the board rules apply as well, even though you WILL be able to edit in anything. (You guys know what that means.)

Otherwise, if it's free/open source, it's welcome in this file. So let's keep this up to date, folks! And yeah, if you wanna say what you added, post here; I'd like to keep track!

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

https://ninite.com/ is a fantastic website and should be bookmarked.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I typed out a big response with some possible addition recommendations, but I got some kind of anti-pirate message, even though almost every link was to fosshub and everything was free software ; ;

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Chiyo, Fiye; you should be able to edit the file directly. Click on the link, then click on the Google Documents link; you should be able to edit it from there. At least that's the settings on the link! So go try and let me know if you can, otherwise I'll try to find a better place to put that that will let you. I figure that's better than 1 person updating it all the time. ^^

So try that Chiyo!

[Edit] I fixed it so it goes direct to Google Documents, you should be able to edit it np now. Reclick the link. ^^

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I'm adding CoreTemp. I've seen some people say that it flags or has something that trips antivirus programs. I've had it on all my systems and AVG has never flagged it, Malwarebytes has never flagged it, and I've not had issues. Some think it's where you get CoreTemp that adds to the package.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

If they wanna broadcast streaming, OBS is free and good. https://obsproject.com/
    And if they read/use ebooks, calibre is standard for managing/converting things. https://calibre-ebook.com/
    And I finally just started using it, if you want a good, one executable solution for retro gaming, RetroArch baby. https://www.retroarch.com/

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Cantih; I'll edit that in, but yeah, anyone can if they want to. I set the link that way on purpose so hopefully this STAYS up to date. ^_^

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Did they clean up CCleaner? I vaguely recall it being bundled with some bad shit some time back?

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Hellfury; they fixed it. It was a accident (had some yuccky stuff in it a while back; a keylogger or something like that) but they fixed it and owned up to the goof. That's why it's STILL on my system.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Elizara View Post
    Hellfury; they fixed it. It was a accident (had some yuccky stuff in it a while back; a keylogger or something like that) but they fixed it and owned up to the goof. That's why it's STILL on my system.
    ah,good to hear! thanks :D

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

NP! But that's why I decided to share this file; so we can have a up to date list on what the good freeware/open source stuff is so we can all find it. ^^ Not just my little brother. ^^

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Thanks a bunch for the list, didn't know that there's a fork/continuation of MPC-HC after they abandoned it... ^^;
    Also reminds me that I had plans to reboot the useful software thread for years now... *cough*

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

NP Niya. Shame I kinda beat you to the punch b/c of Jared, but hopefully we can keep this up to date now that it's editable by anyone.

And I found that player when I realized the CCCP hadn't been updated in WAY too long so I started looking for a better way; it came recommended by quite a few places. ^^

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    If they wanna broadcast streaming, OBS is free and good. https://obsproject.com/
    And if they read/use ebooks, calibre is standard for managing/converting things. https://calibre-ebook.com/
    And I finally just started using it, if you want a good, one executable solution for retro gaming, RetroArch baby. https://www.retroarch.com/
    OBS unfortunately has been a huge problem child for me. about 5-10% of the time it crashes my PC. A lot of the times it either doesn't register my capture card, web cam or both; and then I have to close and reopen it until both are registered and then if I hit that unlucky 5-10%, PC crashes

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Shame on everyone for not adding KeePass :D

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Hehe. Yeah that's needed, I don't use that but anyway. Did some reorganization since people haven't, and added a couple things (like Arachnophilla) that I didn't add to the original list b/c Jared is not interested in web design. (And yes added Java; I don't install anything but the official there myself.)

I'll be adding a couple more that I didn't think Jared would be interested in; I do admit to keeping my beady eyes out for good freeware when I find I need some tool. (Comes of NEVER having enough $$) I'll go ahead and add the best antivirus too from the Ninite list, even tho I use what Microsoft includes in Windows 10 now a days.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

May I suggest converting/moving the list to a spreadsheet? That would make grouping and sorting a lot easier, and instead of having 2 blocks of "(not) on Ninite" you could just add a row with checkboxes so one can easily filter out entries that are (not) available there. Would also allow for checkbox rows with the available platforms (win, mac, linux).

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

That's a good idea Niya. I'll do that soon as I get home; got a singles activity coming up pretty quickly right now and am trying to get ready for that. ^^

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

I created a dummy spreadsheet to see what g.docs allows, and it works pretty well. Checkboxes can be added via the insert menu, stuff like the group drop-down works via data -> data validation. When you declare the groups on a separate sheet you can easily add a whole block of cells for the available options of the validation and don't have to update individual cells if there's a changed or new entry.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I'll see if I can when I get home from church, Niya. Sorry I didn't earlier but I got home at 1 in the morning after that. But that looks like it'd work better to improve this.

I might need to look some stuff up and I might even start it offline in Libreoffice (that's my go to, ironically) but hang in there. ^^

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag