She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I thought I should mention this, tho not going to add any of this until we know how useful this stuff's going to be.

MS is reviving PowerToys as a open source project. Here.

Think we can keep a eye on that guys and see what will come of that?

[Edit]Also I found yet another video editor which I DID add that Gizmodo mentioned: Shotcut. Best to have options!

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Sorry about the double post but I've added ScummVM, LiveStreamer, Livestreamer GUI, DFend Reloaded, and Chatty. (Some of that was b/c I noticed Twitch in my browser wasn't running very well and kept freezing.)

Also I may be editing Google Chrome pretty soon with a very scathing comment since it seems they are not just neutering adblockers soon, but destroying them. I think most of us that are concerned with poisoned ads/REALLY hate ads will prolly be on Firefox from now on.

And guys; if you got anything to add or change, do it. I can't be the only one with a nose for freeware.

[Edit] Also added a few more addons that might be really useful. ^^

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Freaking LastPass is the best decision I ever made. Randomized passwords, launch icons from their dashboards, mobile app support. All Free.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Freaking LastPass is the best decision I ever made. Randomized passwords, launch icons from their dashboards, mobile app support. All Free.
    LastPass is awesome!

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Haha. I'm surprised you two didn't try to add that to the list. LASTPASS ADDED.

[Edit] Also if you don't want to go back to the beginning of the thread for what I'm talking about, it's here. Anyone should be able to edit it; I do check it now and then to make sure it didn't get screwed up or something. ^^ Just add stuff, I'll sort later.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I checked out this list, pretty great.

I noticed that one tool I use pretty consistently isn't on here.

https://www.hwinfo.com/

HWINFO - is pretty similar to Speccy (which is on the list) however I think it gives you way more information. It really gives a surprising amount of information about the hardware installed in your computer. This is what I usually use to find the make/model of hardware that is missing drivers in device manager.

https://www.hirensbootcd.org/
    Not sure if you would consider adding something like Hiren's Boot CD - as that is an entire collection of freeware tools meant for system recovery.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

HWiNFO added and Hiren's Boot CD is on there, you might of missed it. I'll make that one a bit more clear tho. (It's in the Utilities group.)

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Okay, new extension added. This one's REALLY site specific; I added a extension that makes watching Crunchyroll better (No more freezes on their player if you use that, if you're having that trouble.) It's basically a unoffical player that reps their HTML5 player with something that plays better with Ublock Origin and isn't as buggy. Hello Crunchyroll HTML5 Unofficial Player. ^^

[edit] and as fast, bye. the guy killed it.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Another word on CCleaner. It turns out I was using a reeeeeeally old version. Whenever I checked for updates in the past it would say, "You have the latest version!" Then I went directly to the website to check and noticed it was a different version. FF must have been blocking something. Anyway, it works so much better now! It cleans so fast and doesn't hang up on me. You do have to close it after it finishes or it will continue to run in the background but that is minor.

One thing though. I don't think it's CCleaner's fault but when I use it it says I have 1 tracker. I have browser set to delete everything on exit. Is Firefox missing a LSO or something?

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Outlaw; maybe it is. I haven't noticed anything like that tho.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Okay. Since some might not like the new twitter; I accidentally found a extension that can bring back the old twitter.

Hello, GoodTwitter. Added.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Keep in mind there are alternate methods.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Twitter/com...ck_on_desktop/
    That extension has permissions enabled that it does not explicitly need, and the author has been resistant about removing them.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I'll add that warning to the list. If someone comes up with a Greasemonkey script that does the same thing without the privacy problem(or can find one), I'll remove it.

Also I've added InfraRecorder to the list, nice to have a alternate CD/DVD burner.

Edit: Found a script for that on GreasyFork, Here, but you will have to install some kinda user agent switcher (which I have not had good luck with for Firefox). But good nuf for me and that may be a way to avoid the permissions problem.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Elizara View Post
    Outlaw; maybe it is. I haven't noticed anything like that tho.
    I checked in options and it says FF has one tracker. Under cookies it shows it as just a long string of random letters and numbers so I'm not sure it's legit

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Seems Ccleaner is now pushing a browser (which you do NOT have to install; they allow you to opt out and I recommend you do).

Put a warning on that about that, I also found a freeware alternative. it's very bare bones though and doesn't have the shortcut to uninstalling stuff that Ccleaner has, however, but if you don't mind that..Hello BleachBit.

Also Mint added since some banking/budgeting software is always a good idea.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

More financial/budgeting software added; I added Buddi, Homebank(which I'm using now) and Money Plus Sunset Deluxe (Microsoft's software and it's free). I always did better watching my money on a pc, and I loved Quicken..before they started charging a annual fee to use it. I think most of you can agree; Can't afford THAT noise. Especially when I don't have much money to begin with...

[Edit] I also just added a little tool that helped me murder The Big Bad Lag Beast (tm) in XIV. PingPlotter that is. Gave me some ammo to let the Uverse tech have it and actually get something done about it; I finally got it semi-fixed and the final bit of the fix will be Tuesday. Whyy did we get a big fat dumb router/gateway when we got ours replaced due to it getting chicken fried, I have no idea.

[Second edit] Added some more stuff to Authy. I finally said, /hands on hips I don't need 4 authenticators! and changed all my accounts in google's and in Microsoft's to Authy since I was using them for Twitch anyway, and added paypal to boot. Now I'm down to 2 (Authy and Square Enix's) and I couldn't be happier.

BG Level

I know this is really about freeware but I didn't think I should make a thread about something so minor.

I have Avast Internet Security and after the last program update I noticed something. Under Menu>Update settings it now has the following: "Update available - Get Avast Premium Security Early! By the end of 2019 all of our paid antivirus products will change to Avast Premium Security. But why wait? Update now for free." And it has a update button. I almost clicked it but this sounds like some kind of trick to get you to try it then they will charge you more money later for the full suite. I looked on Avast's site and it doesn't say anything about, "all antivirus products will change to Avast Premium Security". I also can't find any info about it on any other site.

Does anybody else have paid Avast and know for certain about this?

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Okay. Over-Time fansubs is now recommending SMPlayer. I tested, I like. Added to the list. It's a really good alternative to the usual players now a days. ^^

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Features look nice, but the UI, oh my... There I thought MPC and its offsprings look "oldschool", but SMP looks almost as bad as those infamous websites from the 90s and early 2000s xD

Added a few more programs: Ant Renamer, OpenJDK (F*ck you Oracle and your new licensing), OpenSCAD, Cura and MeshMixer.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

That's the problem with a lot of video players I've seen; they look very old skool. Which is why I look for functionality above all else and also if it can play anything, including the oldest codec stuff, that you throw at it.

Anyway added a Android/iOS program I forgot; If This Then That. I've been using it a lot but it's good if you're a forgetful gus about some things. ^^ (And guess what I am.) I mean, I can have it silence my phone at church when it detects the church Wi-Fi? (Yes, LDS churches have wifi, and ALL of the LDS churches have the same wifi network name, so. It's possible to have it so if phone detects that on a android phone, to use that for a trigger.) That helps so I don't have to think about it. Set up a text at a certain time to tell Shadowneko to pick some stuff up at the grocery store? That rocks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag