FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

That's how you know Joe is living right. He puts on a few pounds here and there and the rare wrinkle, but yeah.

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

What’s the verdict? Worth getting?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I am loving every second of it. Playing Red Alert first, as that is my shit and up to Mission 7 I believe in the Allied campaign

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

This game was my childhood and it made my friends and cousins jealous that I had it and they'd come over and we'd all take turns playing after elementry school. This remaster is pretty damn solid for what was expected.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Absolutely worth getting if you loved the originals. Its just a much, much better version of them, while also including them if you want the old school feel.

There are very few flaws for people who played and loved the originals. If you never played them, watch someone play it first, because the originals don't play exactly like their sequels.

I still consider C&C3 the sharpest-feeling of all of the games, but I will always have a soft spot for the originals. I loved Red Alert 1 so goddamn much. That OST is legendary, far beyond Hell March.

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn & Red Alert 4K Remastered Collection - June 5, 2020

Glad to hear, because this was my childhood also and my introduction to RTS

Also, Mechanical Man and Hell March were always my jams

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsuki View Post
    What’s the verdict? Worth getting?
    They bothered to record the N64 inengine cutscenes for the exclusive missions from that game if that goes to show the extent they went for on this package.

The graphics look pretty fucking sharp, with a couple minor niggles I have which I doubt most people would notice, so I'll just spoiler them to avoid the "Now you know, you can't unsee it" thing.
    Spoiler: show
    1) Vehicle tracks painted on dirt have a flat repeating pattern as if the artist got lazy with a photoshop brush.
    2) Harvester at certain rear angles has the light shading change momentarily when it does its harvesting animation

Otherwise it's a vastly prettied up C&C/RA1, for better or worse, since the devs kept as many of the original game quirks and limitations/simplicity it had.

The only questionable part of the package is the videos. Their neural upscaling looks 'fine' for anything involving the actors, but any of the full cgi sequences or the command-interface bits, or PC-exclusive videos (since they sourced the PS1 videos where possible) look like absolute dogshit and I wish they opted for a simple scaler for those vs. their AI trying to make sense of the constantly changing keyframe noise and interlaced output. A good 16gb of the overall 25gb package is the upscaled videos and it doesn't really feel justified to me.

In theory could just give us the option to use the original videos at some point since they bothered to waste more disk space to have what are basically dumps of the original game discs+expansions+PS1 release......including some of the old installers for some reason for both DOS/Win95.

Only bug I've noticed personally is the AI has a hate boner for Civilians and their buildings. They're not being considered a neutral faction.

Curious to hear how new players take to it because the game is a little antiquated by RTS standards, given its age. I will say, don't play C&C1 on hard difficulty. Game never had it originally (RA1 did on the other hand), and it's rather unfair without abusing cheese strats.

Will say though, jesus fuck is the remastered music good.

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Damn i totally forgot how little to no chill the enemies have in missions. They just constantly pin you to the wall when you are trying to build.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I am so happy to hear the positive comments on this, especially with the raging dumpster fire Blizzard released with their WC3 reforged. Really hoping this does well enough to do RA2 and C&C 2&3

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

The one thing I'm not liking, that I dont remember from the 1st, at least in Red Alert (I havent touched TD yet), is that resources disappear fast. I did an 8 team (me and 7AI (4 teams)) last night and it dragged because both I and the AIs all had no money cuz the ore/gems were gone so damn fast

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

That was super common in RA. TD it wasn't as bad, but RA was notorious for maps running out of resources quick. Especially if you did 8 player matches. They fixed it up a bit in RA2, but decided to troll the shit out of you in Yuri's revenge expansion by having one of the missions on the moon, with no resources. You just got X amount of credits and that was it. Pissed me the fuck off as I worked at EA at the time, and since I was the RTS junkie at the time, I got tasked with trying to complete the soviet campaign in about 18 hours total on Hard, while finding time to do multiplayer testing, and that was the mission that cock blocked me from finishing.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Resources being gone within 15 minutes was 100% canon to the original RA. 8-player matches drained resources. Lots of custom matches are stacking Ore mines and gems.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I dont remember that at all, so I guess that sucks lol...even in some of the missions, I'm gobbling up resources

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

Never got the chance to play C&C and RA as I was stuck with a 80386 computer and consoles back when it first came out. I love RTS games, I guess this is a perfect opportunity!

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mayareira View Post
    Never got the chance to play C&C and RA as I was stuck with a 80386 computer and consoles back when it first came out. I love RTS games, I guess this is a perfect opportunity!
    Both were available for PlayStation.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I don't even know why I picked up the N64 version of C&C despite having played it on PC years prior. 3d novelty I suppose, and it was a solid portjob, FMV situations aside. All this new release does is remind me that we'll never see a Dune 2/2000 remake/master because of the current license holder of that IP. C&C1 popularized the genre, but Dune 2 is the grand daddy of what led to be the modern RTS.