Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmauk View Post
    Do any Tar heels fans know where DUKE is?
    Eh?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Is that some joke from some thing that I missed

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Gadritan View Post
    Is that some joke from some thing that I missed

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Tbh I was really really really really really hoping to get a Duke-UNC title game, but I knew the stars wouldn't align.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I can't handle the Zags and Virginia losing in the same day, oy.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

This Virginia/Perdue game is fucking nuts!

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

GATTACA!

BG Level

Fucking great pass before the tying shot. Awesome.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Everybody on Virginia is terrified to take the shot it feels like lol.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    I can't handle the Zags and Virginia losing in the same day, oy.
    Same. I stan for both.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Thank God, with the Zags going down at least I still have Tony Bennett to cheer for.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

That 2nd half might be the best second half of college basketball I’ve ever seen

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

That Virgina/Purdue game was mind blowing.

Not just the sniping, but probably the best basketball played all tournament.

We also live in a world where Texas Tech is the Cinderella.

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    That Virgina/Purdue game was mind blowing.

Not just the sniping, but probably the best basketball played all tournament.

We also live in a world where Texas Tech is the Cinderella.
    Auburn? No one even figured they'd get by New Mexico State, much less KU and UNC lol

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Man, that Purdue game killed me, I'm so bummed out. 3:30am, and I'm still vexing. Here's what I posted to Facebook:

Spoiler: show
    Life is weird. Warning: extreme first world problems ahead.
    As anyone who regularly reads my Facebook feed knows, I'm a huge sports fan. I follow my teams, often in person, for better or for worse, across radio, TV and live games. I've done this, so near as I can tell, for my whole life.
    My very first specific sports memory is from February 1980, when the US beat the USSR in the Miracle on Ice. I remember watching the game, with my parents, on tape delay from our house on Vine Street in Indiana. Can't remember if my best friend was there or not, but I definitely remember the game. It was thirty days after my fifth birthday.
    A month later, I remember being very upset because I couldn't go to a basketball game because my Dad, was taking his brother, and my parents only had two season tickets. I'm pretty sure was upset because I was able to go to the first game, against LaSalle, but not the second, against St. John's. (To be fair, five year old children are not known for their altruism and sharing). I bring this up because those were the first two rounds of the 1980 NCAA basketball tournament, and Purdue won those games, and two more, to advance to the Final Four for only the second time in school history. They haven't been back since that year.
    Today, thirty nine years later, forty four year old me was watching Purdue basketball play for a spot in the final four. They had a good chance, an amazing chance - pretty sure their win percentage was 95% at one point - but it didn't work out. No complaints about the refs, or the players, there were just two very good basketball teams going against each other, and one of them had to lose. Unfortunately, it was Purdue.
    I find myself awake at 2:45am, still despondent about the outcome of the game, still playing through my head a hundred ways the game could have gone slightly different. I've had a six pack of beer to try to help me sleep, and I can't.
    There's something both magical and tragic about sports. I'm crushed because a handful of men half my age, who I have never met in any capacity, were not quite as good as another group of young men who attend a different university. However, had that last second shot not gone in, or any one of a hundred other things gone slightly differently, I'd be over the moon excited, and giddy. I'd be looking up plane tickets to Minneapolis, and might have even purchased them.
    All of this emotion because of a group of people who have absolutely no direct impact on the quality of my life. I don't know if sports is an escape, or a fantasy, or what, but I find myself so ridiculously invested in the outcomes of games that don't directly affect my life in any way. Heck, my teams' success often cost me money because I attend additional games I otherwise wouldn't.
    To be fair, my life is good right now. I have a really nice house, my health is excellent, I have a challenging and well paying job, a wonderful girlfriend, but right now, all I can focus on is the fact that these 18-22 year olds I will probably never meet couldn't quite get the ball through the metal hoop as much as their opponents.
    I'm not looking for sympathy because other people have legitimate problems that can use sympathy, but Facebook asked me what was on my mind, and THIS is what is on my mind.
    Go Purdue. #BoilerUp Go Beavers. Go Seahawks. Go Blazers. Go Mariners.
    Life is weird.

My five worst sports losses that I can recall:

Civil War (Oregon-Oregon State) football '08
    OSU-LSU College World Series '17
    Purdue - Virginia today
    Seahawks - Patriots SB
    Civil War '09[/spoiler]

GATTACA!

BG Level

[QUOTE=Byrd;7182704]Man, that Purdue game killed me, I'm so bummed out. 3:30am, and I'm still vexing. Here's what I posted to Facebook:

Spoiler: show
    Life is weird. Warning: extreme first world problems ahead.
    As anyone who regularly reads my Facebook feed knows, I'm a huge sports fan. I follow my teams, often in person, for better or for worse, across radio, TV and live games. I've done this, so near as I can tell, for my whole life.
    My very first specific sports memory is from February 1980, when the US beat the USSR in the Miracle on Ice. I remember watching the game, with my parents, on tape delay from our house on Vine Street in Indiana. Can't remember if my best friend was there or not, but I definitely remember the game. It was thirty days after my fifth birthday.
    A month later, I remember being very upset because I couldn't go to a basketball game because my Dad, was taking his brother, and my parents only had two season tickets. I'm pretty sure was upset because I was able to go to the first game, against LaSalle, but not the second, against St. John's. (To be fair, five year old children are not known for their altruism and sharing). I bring this up because those were the first two rounds of the 1980 NCAA basketball tournament, and Purdue won those games, and two more, to advance to the Final Four for only the second time in school history. They haven't been back since that year.
    Today, thirty nine years later, forty four year old me was watching Purdue basketball play for a spot in the final four. They had a good chance, an amazing chance - pretty sure their win percentage was 95% at one point - but it didn't work out. No complaints about the refs, or the players, there were just two very good basketball teams going against each other, and one of them had to lose. Unfortunately, it was Purdue.
    I find myself awake at 2:45am, still despondent about the outcome of the game, still playing through my head a hundred ways the game could have gone slightly different. I've had a six pack of beer to try to help me sleep, and I can't.
    There's something both magical and tragic about sports. I'm crushed because a handful of men half my age, who I have never met in any capacity, were not quite as good as another group of young men who attend a different university. However, had that last second shot not gone in, or any one of a hundred other things gone slightly differently, I'd be over the moon excited, and giddy. I'd be looking up plane tickets to Minneapolis, and might have even purchased them.
    All of this emotion because of a group of people who have absolutely no direct impact on the quality of my life. I don't know if sports is an escape, or a fantasy, or what, but I find myself so ridiculously invested in the outcomes of games that don't directly affect my life in any way. Heck, my teams' success often cost me money because I attend additional games I otherwise wouldn't.
    To be fair, my life is good right now. I have a really nice house, my health is excellent, I have a challenging and well paying job, a wonderful girlfriend, but right now, all I can focus on is the fact that these 18-22 year olds I will probably never meet couldn't quite get the ball through the metal hoop as much as their opponents.
    I'm not looking for sympathy because other people have legitimate problems that can use sympathy, but Facebook asked me what was on my mind, and THIS is what is on my mind.
    Go Purdue. #BoilerUp Go Beavers. Go Seahawks. Go Blazers. Go Mariners.
    Life is weird.

My five worst sports losses that I can recall:

Civil War (Oregon-Oregon State) football '08
    OSU-LSU College World Series '17
    Purdue - Virginia today
    Seahawks - Patriots SB
    Civil War '09[/spoiler]My conclusion after similar episodes was that being a sports fan is emotional gambling. If it wasn't for the camaraderie of watching with your fellow fans I don't think it would be worth it

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I'm sorry, Byrd

Yeah, it's tough being a sports fan and dealing with the heartbreak like that for sure.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

Least you're not a Buffalo Bills fan.

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

the eagles won the super bowl

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast