Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

You dudes need to go buy a nividia shield use it for a few days and return it. All your skepticism will subside.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'm on board for this. I tried their Assassin's Creed stream, forget what they called it. It worked great on both my 980 at home and my work computer that struggles with more than Chrome and Excel open. The worst thing I experienced was some rare artifacting that I attributed to random hiccups in the net. It may not be perfect for every game, but I'm down to see where they take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    This is more than just an online console. This changes how games are developed, the time and scale that they can be developed. This changes how publishers work, and whether companies like Nintendo can compete when the smart phone is now a screen for console titles.
    I don't get where all these assumptions come from. I'm not saying things won't change, but thinking all that's going to happen is jumping the shark pretty hard.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Malithar View Post
    I'm on board for this. I tried their Assassin's Creed stream, forget what they called it. It worked great on both my 980 at home and my work computer that struggles with more than Chrome and Excel open. The worst thing I experienced was some rare artifacting that I attributed to random hiccups in the net. It may not be perfect for every game, but I'm down to see where they take it.

I don't get where all these assumptions come from. I'm not saying things won't change, but thinking all that's going to happen is jumping the shark pretty hard.
    The keynote at GDC was very in depth and provided evidence of all that Salodin mentioned.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Ouya.

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Jefe View Post
    Ouya.
    Though ahead of it's time, was poorly marketed, underpowered and entirely unrelated. The switch is what the Outside should've been.

Like others, I worry about our shit internet structure (and those behind it) as well as ownership of titles.

It may be small potatoes to some, but not having an offline mode for games like Diablo 3 on PC has crippled the potential mod scene which was largely what kept D2 fresh enough for me from like 2003-2007. Blizzard largely tried to justify this as anti-piracy tactic for D3, but even when the game finally did launch, it was unplayable because they simply were not prepared for the traffic. And it's a situation that's repeated for numerous "hot" MMOs and even other online-only titles. And I'm sure many of us also recall the outrage about XB1 mandating online access as a broader example of this issue, which M$ finally relented on.

So, while I have no doubt gaming will err this way eventually, we're not ready for it. And a big part of that is due to the greed that exists not so much by game creators, but the publishers/sponsors above them that want to milk as much as possible or even deem games that sell 5m+ units as failures when so many other titles would kill for that sort of market penetration. Gaming also still needs to address the elephant of micro-transactions, namely in what should be included with launches as base content and fair pricing after the fact. Subs/Season passes also need to translate into ownership/unrestricted access eventually.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Gotta stop comparing fast search results to streaming video games. Two very different things.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Everyone in this thread must be clueless as to project stream, which is basically the beta to this and has been very well received thus far. Stadia is being marketed as faster than project stream, plus the wifi controller would further decrease latency. The time is now boys, y'all living in the stone age.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Project Stream had varied reviews from "great" to "playable" to "laggy" to "pixelated blur." That is why everyone is being reserved.

Mine is game ownership.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Eh, I'm old enough and at the point where I don't want to take up room on my shelf with games that don't come with an instruction booklet. Gamestop has shitty resale value and they might not even be around much longer if google, MS, and Sony all launch similar game streaming platforms.

Pretty sure I stopped caring about physical media around the time I realized owning FFXI disks for an online game was stupid. Trade in values were insulting, and steam introduced easy cataloging of games. Done and done. The future is streaming and convenience, for me anyways.

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Physical copies are not what people mean when they talk about game ownership their talking about shit like PT that was wiped off the face of the earth on Konamis whims.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

And this
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    I have a foolproof argument against streaming games. And here is exhibit A:

With streaming instead of ownership, EVERYTHING can die like City of Heroes, Chromehounds, Star Wars Galaxies, Phantasy Star Universe, Tabula Rasa, Wildstar, etc.
    It doesn't need to be physical ownership. GOG.com has a great digital ownership scheme.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

isn't nintendo closing the wii e-shop pretty soon as well? GG to anyone who bought titles there

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbeansman View Post
    Physical copies are not what people mean when they talk about game ownership their talking about shit like PT that was wiped off the face of the earth on Konamis whims.
    PT was a demo to a game that was never released. Kinda different situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deejay View Post
    isn't nintendo closing the wii e-shop pretty soon as well? GG to anyone who bought titles there
    Closed already. Yeah that is a con to the platform. The original xbox servers are shut down too. This is a problem with all online games or games that are services though, not just stadia.

There's always cons though, just like there's cons to owning one console and not all three current gen consoles. People and devs gain quite a lot in exchange for those short comings, including access to the same games on pretty much any platform, at any time, with graphics and fidelity that you can't get without spending quite a bit on a gaming PC that is obsolete in half a generation. Devs get larger and frankly easier resources to develop games, the only short side (maybe) is the price difference devs have now between all the money they spend on their own hardware and test consoles compared to just syncing to stadia and developing on their hardware. It's probably less overhead though as all that equipment has upkeep which is expensive and can be pushed off to stadia. Less payroll, utility costs, even real estate. Like I said, if they deliver it will change A LOT in the industry.

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Is that 166 ms input lag figure that I keep seeing legit? That is pretty unacceptable for anything not turn based.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

con is a nice way to put it lol

member when google+ was supposed to replace facebook? up until it got cancelled cuz it sucked
    member when allo was supposed to replace whatsapp/imessage, only for that not to happen at all cuz it sucked
    member when google glass was supposed to be the hot new thing, up until it got cancelled cuz it sucked
    member when google bump, currents, etc was supposed to be a thing, and they all got cancelled cuz they sucked

my only point is people like owning the shit they buy, and the prospect of it going 'poof' one day is a legit concern that can keep this from getting off the ground. especially when you account for the shit other gaming companies have done, coupled with google's history of trying and failing on things with way less scope

but yeah, their search is great bro. super fast

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbeansman View Post
    Is that 166 ms input lag figure that I keep seeing legit? That is pretty unacceptable for anything not turn based.
    This is pretty false. If you watched the video you'd see the person who did the test said it was comparable to latency on the consoles, and the numbers for the consoles don't include screen latency; the numbers for stadia did. When you add screen latency, the difference is barely there. Talking thousandths of a second.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

There is a row that shows with display latency.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

our extensive cache of CRTs and 16-bit cartridges grows even further unrecognizable

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast