+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    I like to eat food
    BG Level

I do have to say, I use a 144Hz 1ms 1080p display, so the added display lag would not be accurate in that case. You'd be looking at more than double latency from PC 60 fps to Stradia.

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    PT was a demo to a game that was never released. Kinda different situation.Closed already. Yeah that is a con to the platform. The original xbox servers are shut down too. This is a problem with all online games or games that are services though, not just stadia.
    I missed this but PT wasn't really a demo it was a playable trailer or game if you will for a game that would play very differently. Also if you cant see the diffrence between a game you own on a digital storefront and something that exist purely on servers you have no access too I don't know what to tell you.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    I do have to say, I use a 144Hz 1ms 1080p display, so the added display lag would not be accurate in that case. You'd be looking at more than double latency from PC 60 fps to Stradia.
    So yeah enough to be game breaking for any competitive game. Also fighting games are not the only games that have offline competetive events. This whole thing seems to be a huge drag on local esports events its already a pain to set up fgc locals when we have to supply our own consoles and gaming monitors.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Of course I see the difference. I'm just saying that if you have Steam and love it, this is the same thing but better. And I don't know about you, but I really like what Steam offers inso far as "ownership", cataloging, updating, and ease of access goes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

How does one mod a game on a stream pc you have no access too?

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbeansman View Post
    So yeah enough to be game breaking for any competitive game. Also fighting games are not the only games that have offline competetive events. This whole thing seems to be a huge drag on local esports events its already a pain to set up fgc locals when we have to supply our own consoles and gaming monitors.
    Not really. In that situation you have PCs or consoles taking data, processing it, sending it to the server, server processing, then sending back to consoles to use. This is all data going to the server, where it is processed faster, and then the finished processing being sent to a screen to display. Its fundamentally different.

The only type of games that are up in the air are games that rely in frame data. Google did say they're working with a prominent fighting game dev to optimize their system for it, so it's still an open question if match quality is the same or better than online match quality now, based on how data is processed differently that I outlined above.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Great question man, I wonder how they'll address this. If it means we won't get a Skyrim Stadia edition though I think I'll be ok lol.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Not really. In that situation you have PCs or consoles taking data, processing it, sending it to the server, server processing, then sending back to consoles to use. This is all data going to the server, where it is processed faster, and then the finished processing being sent to a screen to display. Its fundamentally different.

The only type of games that are up in the air are games that rely in frame data. Google did say they're working with a prominent fighting game dev to optimize their system for it, so it's still an open question if match quality is the same or better than online match quality now, based on how data is processed differently that I outlined above.

Removing offline for esports is a bad idea. You really don't want internet going out mid game and even big name events have had everything from ddos attacks to plain old outages. Actually that whole thing about connection reliability makes me suspect even my google fiber isn't above the odd hissy fit and thats not even getting into the big name ISPs.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Having offline games is always a plus. It's not like stadia is releasing and all other consoles are now discontinued though lol. This is aimed at bringing high end PC gaming to any internet enabled screen.

Back when some old game services tanked like early 2000's, some folks took it upon themselves to host private servers only to get sued by the devs. Fortunately, the presiding judge ruled in the favor of the private servers, but the lesson the industry seemingly took away from it was to keep as little code in the hands of consumers as possible, which results in the aforementioned closures of a lot of failed MMOs and the like where there's probably no private scene or very rudimentary if it didn't catch the attention of the right people with the right code knowhow (sorta like FFXI private servers >.>).

Anyway, one thing I feel should be mandatory alongside shit like gacha/lootbox regulation if we ever get to that point is that online games shut down for whatever reason need to have their source code released to the public, including character data (personal info scrubbed), for whatever use they see fit after the fact. As an art form, these things do deserve some degree of preservation, while fandom doesn't have to suffer crushing disappointment because some suit decided X profit wasn't good enough to keep things up.

Honestly imo it just has potential to be really anti consumer, I could be wrong though.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Sounds liek you have skin in the gaem; do you own google stock or something lol.

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The same way those of us that do Machine Learning and run servers with Google do it. Easily.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Having offline games is always a plus. It's not like stadia is releasing and all other consoles are now discontinued though lol. This is aimed at bringing high end PC gaming to any internet enabled screen.

Yeah Im mostly thinking of a more distant future. I don't see good old pc gaming going away in our lifetimes even with the very real possibility of the AAA industry crashing.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    Back when some old game services tanked like early 2000's, some folks took it upon themselves to host private servers only to get sued by the devs. Fortunately, the presiding judge ruled in the favor of the private servers, but the lesson the industry seemingly took away from it was to keep as little code in the hands of consumers as possible, which results in the aforementioned closures of a lot of failed MMOs and the like where there's probably no private scene or very rudimentary if it didn't catch the attention of the right people with the right code knowhow (sorta like FFXI private servers >.>).

Anyway, one thing I feel should be mandatory alongside shit like gacha/lootbox regulation if we ever get to that point is that online games shut down for whatever reason need to have their source code released to the public, including character data (personal info scrubbed), for whatever use they see fit after the fact. As an art form, these things do deserve some degree of preservation, while fandom doesn't have to suffer crushing disappointment because some suit decided X profit wasn't good enough to keep things up.
    This is an issue, but I feel like that ship has sailed already. It's something out of our hands and all the power belongs to people who are incentivised to keep doing the same thing.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    I have a foolproof argument against streaming games. And here is exhibit A:

Terrible game

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Of course I see the difference. I'm just saying that if you have Steam and love it, this is the same thing but better. And I don't know about you, but I really like what Steam offers inso far as "ownership", cataloging, updating, and ease of access goes.

We're just going to gloss over this? From the sounds of it, this isn't the Steam model, this is the Netflix model where they (or their contracts?) dictate what games are available. There's a reason there are lists that come out every month for which movies are coming and going from Netflix.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Uh, yeah you're going to glance over it because Steam is the exact same thing. If steam decides they're bored one day they can shutdown and all those games you "own" are bye bye baby. Google provides the server space and distribution, just like steam, only now they're adding this data processing and selling it as a game streaming service.

There's a reason this was previewed at the Gaming Developers Conference and not say...E3 or TGS. This is aimed as much at developers and publishers as much as it is gamers proper. Even if the game streaming service doesnt live up, the development side if it seems fine as is, latency isn't an issue, and by and large seems better then what developers are working with now assuming their tools work with the system. And as far as we can tell, from the people the video said they partnered with, the same tools all work.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I saw crysis and unreal engine up there, and that's the majority of games right now.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Steam can up and close down, but Serra is talking about how Stadia may be a subscription model and a rotating stock like Netflix.

It's possible you won't get the latest releases on the platform or they could be removed a month later before you get to finish them. Things on Netflix come and go as licensing deals expire.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast