Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Let me lay it out for you more clearly to better illustrate my point.

I don't give a single solitary fuck if you're the first man to step on Mars or some dude sitting in a sewer scraping shit off a wall. As much as I respect your experience, your job, and said experience in a dev environment in an area that supports a good enough infrastructure to allow you to stream from your workplace to your house and play vidya means nothing to me in this situation. I never said I doubted the ability for the backend to support this type of system. On a small scale in a controlled enviornment where you own all the pieces to the jigsaw is a big motherfucking difference to Jonny Cornfield sitting in the middle of Iowa trying to stream assassin's creed to his 14 in' flatscreen on 10mbps internet. If we were discussing something like "OH THE CLOUD WILL NEVER WORK FOR ANYTHING", you'd have a point here since yes, you have more experience working with it than I ever will. But that it's what we're talking about. I'm a customer who will be potentially using this product, and I'm looking at it from that perspective. I don't care about the dev side or how well it works, that isn't my job.

See where I'm going with this? It isn't just a matter of 20ms of extra input latency or some shit.

Yes, comfy that you can make it work and you have experience with the backend of something similar to what Stadia will operate on. But you, and no one else like you, can tell me or any other consumer, aka the people who have a vested interest in this working just as much as you do, that it will actually fucking work properly for most people. Your work and experience with these environments also doesn't tell me how google can or will monetize this system. No, I'm not willing to trust a multi billion dollar international corporation without seeing it first, decrying skepticism is absolutely fucking stupid and I know you're smart enough to see why.

Edit: I just read your tweets. I don't even know why the fuck we're arguing we're saying the same shit.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Bumfuck Idaho with 10mbps internet isn't going to stream 4k 60fps, I don't think anyone including Google is claiming that. That would probably be dropped to 1080 or 720, in which case loleasypeasy.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    Let me lay it out for you more clearly to better illustrate my point.

I don't give a single solitary fuck if you're the first man to step on Mars or some dude sitting in a sewer scraping shit off a wall. As much as I respect your experience, your job, and said experience in a dev environment in an area that supports a good enough infrastructure to allow you to stream from your workplace to your house and play vidya means nothing to me in this situation. I never said I doubted the ability for the backend to support this type of system. On a small scale in a controlled enviornment where you own all the pieces to the jigsaw is a big motherfucking difference to Jonny Cornfield sitting in the middle of Iowa trying to stream assassin's creed to his 14 in' flatscreen on 10mbps internet.
    If Jonny can stream netflix at 720p with no issues, he can use this service.

Yes, comfy that you can make it work and you have experience with the backend of something similar to what Stadia will operate on. But you, and no one else like you, can tell me or any other consumer, aka the people who have a vested interest in this working just as much as you do, that it will actually fucking work properly for most people.
    Bandwith test, not really any different from games releasing gpu/cpu tests. Only difference is, if it won't work for you and you can't upgrade your connection, then it's not for you.

Your work and experience with these environments also doesn't tell me how google can or will monetize this system.
    No, it doesn't, but save yourself the trouble of whining about it because you literally do not know. Wait for that info to drop, then form opinions.

No, I'm not willing to trust a multi billion dollar international corporation without seeing it first, decrying skepticism is absolutely fucking stupid and I know you're smart enough to see why.
    Don't confuse skepticism with pessimism.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes View Post
    Don't confuse skepticism with pessimism.
    Listen my dude, as I said, I'd love for this to be perfect out the gate. But I have extreme doubts as to whether Google can deliver the fabled land of milk and honey that they portrayed in their keynote. I hope that it improves game development for game developers. I hope that it serves to be an easier content delivery platform for the finished games. I realistically expect that this thing is going to be bumpy, and I take issue with shit like...

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Of course I see the difference. I'm just saying that if you have Steam and love it, this is the same thing but better. And I don't know about you, but I really like what Steam offers inso far as "ownership", cataloging, updating, and ease of access goes.
    ...this. It's just as hyperbolic as assuming it won't work at all. No one can say, with any authority, that Stadia will rival, surpass, or replace something like Steam or a physical game library right now and that's my entire point.

hopefully it doesnt become like TV and everyone splits up the games and you pay 100$ month to play games and another 100$ for internet lol

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Listen my dude, as I said, I'd love for this to be perfect out the gate. But I have extreme doubts as to whether Google can deliver the fabled land of milk and honey that they portrayed in their keynote. I hope that it improves game development for game developers. I hope that it serves to be an easier content delivery platform for the finished games. I realistically expect that this thing is going to be bumpy, and I take issue with shit like...

...this. It's just as hyperbolic as assuming it won't work at all. No one can say, with any authority, that Stadia will rival, surpass, or replace something like Steam or a physical game library right now and that's my entire point.
    Everyone that tried out project stream got to keep a local copy of the game. Nobody can predict how it would work, but it's not a stretch to think you'll get a key for a local copy too.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Everyone that tried out project stream got to keep a local copy of the game. Nobody can predict how it would work, but it's not a stretch to think you'll get a key for a local copy too.
    Oh wow I didn't know this. Haha, even better.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The AC:O keys given out for participating in project stream were promotional via Google's partnership with Ubisoft for the test. Let's not make the lofty assumption that just 'cause PS testers got a copy of the game from Ubisoft (not Google, also worth mentioning that it took over a month for Ubisoft to send these keys out, it wasn't a seamless 'stream it and get it' experience) that you're going to be getting keys for every game (or any, really) you stream on Stadia.

See what I mean? This pendulum is swinging both ways but somehow only one side is apparently jumping the gun. Hmm.

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The AC:O keys given out for participating in project stream were promotional via Google's partnership with Ubisoft for the test. Let's not make the lofty assumption that just 'cause PS testers got a copy of the game from Ubisoft (not Google) that you're going to be getting keys for every game (or any, really) you stream on Stadia.

See what I mean? This pendulum is swinging both ways but somehow only one side is apparently jumping the gun. Hmm.
    Nobody can predict how it would work, but it's not a stretch to think...
    So we're just straight up ignoring when people say sensible things so we can keep arguing about things we still know nothing about.

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Maybe I'd be as pessimistic as y'all if I didn't actually look at the presentation and then see the success they had with project stream.

That's a lot of faith for something that was being presented under ideal conditions that may not be representative of the average user.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Yeah dude, it's entirely sensible to suggest that Stadia is going to be "even better than" physical and digital downloaded media like Steam, but it's not sensible to say that it could very well not be. Using a fucking testing reward key as evidence to suggest that you could get a local copy of games you stream on Stadia isn't bad, but saying that you might not get one is. Makes sense to me. Your bias is showing as much as you're trying to hide it, honestly.

You: It's not a stretch to think that you could get a local copy of the game because they gave out a local copy of the game to testers
    Me: It's not a stretch to think that you won't get a local copy of the game because Ubisoft gave out a local copy of the game to testers (via UPlay), not Google
    You: Lol ur not being sensible

Until Net Neutrality is restored and ISPs aren't monopolistic jokes, we're up shit creek, anyway.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbeansman View Post
    That's a lot of faith for something that was being presented under ideal conditions that may not be representative of the average user.
    It's a lot of faith because they released project stream which does the same thing, and it worked pretty well. Steam has steam link and TV streaming, playstation has it, Microsoft now has it. Everyone cept Google is doing it over wifi, and the only difference now is Google says they can do it over internet, at 4k 60fps.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Eh, nevermind.

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It's possible you need to fucking pay attention to who the fuck you're talking to and what I've said, instead of projecting shit you think I'm saying.

Yeah dude, it's entirely sensible to suggest that Stadia is going to be "even better than" physical and digital downloaded media like Steam
    I've never said that, as such this leap

but it's not sensible to say that it could very well not be.
    is idiotic.

Using a fucking testing reward key as evidence to suggest that you could get a local copy of games you stream on Stadia isn't bad, but saying that you might not get one is.
    It's possible your understanding of English syntax is under-leveled. "They've done x, so y might be possible" is not equivalent to "They are going to do y" but it carries more weight than, "I doubt they'll do y." I said something might be doable based on history, you position is "it might not be doable just because..."

Your bias is showing as much as you're trying to hide it, honestly.
    LMAO, yeah, we're done here.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Maybe you should take your own advice, because it's blatantly fucking obvious that i'm referring to Salodin's tripe and not referring directly to you. The issue I have with you, specifically, is that you seem to have a problem with people criticising the prospect of Stadia in general, but you are simultaneously turning a blind eye to ppl such as Salodin who are licking Google's asshole. It's transparent as fuck.

Moving beyond that, your argument is, "My evidence is better because I say it is even though it is no greater than yours, but anyone who has criticism of this product is wrong and I'm going to take the moral high ground about it". In the same breath that you say "No one can predict how it could work", you fucking predict how it will work and act like your opinion is superior despite being no more or less impactful than anyone else's in this thread.

Ok dude, fuck off already. Lmao

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

It's a lot of faith because they released project stream which does the same thing, and it worked pretty well. Steam has steam link and TV streaming, playstation has it, Microsoft now has it. Everyone cept Google is doing it over wifi, and the only difference now is Google says they can do it over internet, at 4k 60fps.

Its funny you mention the steam link cause I was playing FFX a while back and streaming it to my TV through the steam link and the input lag was bad enough to make certain mini games legit harder.

edit and no not just the lightning dodging

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Then maybe you need a quick look at the twitter link I posted again where I interacted with Salodin. The difference between our argument is "here's some evidence" with you going "nu uhhh evidence doesn't count because"

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Good thing this is something faster and stronger than steam link.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Then maybe you need a quick look at the twitter link I posted again where I interacted with Salodin. The difference between our argument is "here's some evidence" with you going "nu uhhh evidence doesn't count because"
    Your evidence is non-evidence. Keys for AC:O being handed out to PS testers != evidence that keys will be handed out to all Stadia customers for all games. There is zero fucking possible way that you don't see this. Using it as "evidence" to "predict how Stadia is going to work", so to speak, is fucking retarded.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast