FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    Are there really that many kids playing that game on an iPhone of all things? Seems like an all-around terrible way to play that game given the structure-mashing gameplay on PC I've seen.
    You must not know how popular mobile gaming is, boomer.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Its big on mobile but also its 30% of their sales, they can force people to buy direct and lose a bunch of customers and still make more money based on that extra margin.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Yeah they're really lining their pockets with all that extra money right now

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I mean, egs is a huge success. I'm sure they're very happy with their moves thus far.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'm pretty sure the not-Fortnite portion of EGS is actually a money pit.

Once you factor in the 88/12 split they made just over 30 mil from not-Fortnite sales in 2019, and they surely paid way more then that in exclusive deals (Control alone was 10 million for 1 year exclusivity)

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post

Once you factor in the 88/12 split they made just over 30 mil from not-Fortnite sales in 2019, and they surely paid way more then that in exclusive deals (Control alone was 10 million for 1 year exclusivity)
    Since when is success measured by making a profit? Business 101, man.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    Are there really that many kids playing that game on an iPhone of all things? Seems like an all-around terrible way to play that game given the structure-mashing gameplay on PC I've seen.
    My nephew and his friends pretty much play it on iPhone or iPad while their older brothers hog the ps4.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Ah cool were at the completely make up shit phase of the thread. Cool cool cool.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Just so were clear, spending $10mil on exclusivity on control doesn't mean they lost money on control. They just made $10million less on it lol

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Ah cool were at the completely make up shit phase of the thread. Cool cool cool.

I mean you can literally just google their sales numbers from 2019 and work the math from there.

Epic had $251 million in sales from third parties in 2019, which at a 12 cut means 30.1 million.

People also claimed 200 million copies of free games from them in 2019, which they would have had to pay the publishers for. I get that they're obviously trying to muscle their way into the market and will be losing money on the EGS for a good while, but i don't know if you can call making like... 1/5th or less of what Valve does (just in revenue, not talking profits. of which there likely was none for Epic) from steam a success

*I am making up the Valve number, just know they had 4.3 bil in revenue in 2017. Reasonable to assume it's only gone up

BG Level

their overall 2019 revenue was $4.2 billion, Fortnite is obviously subsidizing everything else at the moment but it's hardly an issue with their cashflow. indeed it's rather the smartest thing to do as Fortnite's popularity will inevitably wane and they will have pivoted towards a more sustainable alternative-to-Steam model.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I get that they're obviously trying to muscle their way into the market and will be losing money on the EGS for a good while, but i don't know if you can call making like... 1/5th or less of what Valve does (just in revenue, not talking profits. of which there likely was none for Epic) from steam a success
    And they can muscle their way for awhile with how many pulbishers are owing them royalties for using UE4 after the $1mil income mark, in addition to Fornite bucks.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

posting this here since the Epic lawsuit involved discussion of App Store cuts, even though this change obviously won't benefit big companies like Epic
    https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1329085505976164353

- Existing developers who made up to $1 million in 2020 for all of their apps, as well as developers new to the App Store, can qualify for the program and the reduced commission.

- If a participating developer surpasses the $1 million threshold, the standard commission rate will apply for the remainder of the year.

- If a developer’s business falls below the $1 million threshold in a future calendar year, they can requalify for the 15 percent commission the year after.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Epic Purchases a Mall to Covert into Their New Headquarters

Spoiler: show
    Epic Games, Turnbridge Equities and Denali Properties are pleased to announce an agreement to transfer ownership of the 980,000-square-foot and 87-acre Cary Towne Center to Epic, with the goal of converting the property into its new campus by 2024. The facilities will include both office buildings and recreational spaces, allowing Epic the flexibility to create a campus customized from the ground up to accommodate its long-term growth.

Epic plans to commence development of its new headquarters this year and the company will continue to be based at its current location at Crossroads Boulevard in the interim. Epic has been proud to call Cary home for over 20 years and has immersed itself into the community, often hiring locally and from nearby universities as the company continues to grow and scale.

While plans for the Epic campus are still in the early phases, the company is already working with the Town of Cary on its development and exploring ways some of this property might be used by the community. Epic is grateful to the Town and its leadership for how welcoming it has been to the company over the years, and this positive relationship played a significant role in Epic’s decision to pursue a campus that secures its future in Cary for decades to come.

“We’re extremely proud that Epic has chosen to call Cary home for their new global headquarters, and we greatly appreciate the company’s recognition of Cary’s existing assets as well as the unlimited potential of the area for their growing business,” said Cary, NC Mayor Harold Weinbrecht. “We look forward to continuing to work closely and collaboratively with the Epic team as they conceptualize their new campus, and we’re honored to partner with them on this exciting new development.”

Epic, which was represented by Stephen Porterfield of Capital Associates in this transaction, is also collaborating closely with Turnbridge and Denali to ensure a smooth transition of ownership. Turnbridge and Denali acquired the Cary Towne Center mall in January 2019 in a distressed sale following the loss of three of its five anchor tenants. The firms recognized the potential to transform the space into a revitalized new development for the region, and have since invested in the successful rezoning of the property. Thanks to this investment, Epic will be able to commence development of its new headquarters this year, and begin the transformation of the property.

“Epic shares our vision for transforming Cary Towne Center into a vibrant community space. This sale is further validation of our value-driven investment strategy, and the property could not be placed in better hands,” said Jason Davis, Managing Director at Turnbridge Equities. “After years of shifting development plans for the Center, we are thrilled the space will be utilized to its full potential and turned into something the Town and community of Cary can be proud of.”

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Spring Showcase - February 11th @ 2 PM ET

Join us as we take a look at some of the games launching on the Epic Games Store this year. We’ve curated a collection of new announcements, gameplay and extended looks presented by the developers creating the games we all love.

Our Spring Showcase premieres on Twitch February 11 at 2 PM Eastern, 11 AM Pacific, 7 PM GMT. Be sure to head over to the Epic Games Twitch Channel and hit that follow button for Go Live notifications!

The Showcase Sale runs February 11 at 11 AM Eastern to February 25 at 11 AM Eastern. Hit the preview link to get an early look at the games participating in the sale. While you’re there, add some games to your wishlist to get notifications when they go on discount!
    https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-U...-11?lang=en-US
    https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-U...ale?lang=en-US
    http://www.twitch.tv/epicgames

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

This publisher push for metaverse crap is going to blowback so hard on them. That said, Harmonix already having had experience with VR development does give them a leg in creating content for such an environment, assuming they still have the devs around from that time. Don't think they've ever done much post-Rock Band 4 other than some physical games. Weird acquisition regardless.