• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Questions about selling some old computers

Hey all. I'm looking for some advice to sell some old computers and a laptop I have.

The first computer was a Compaq Presario with a Nvidia Card. All I have from the machine is the tower and none of the discs.

The second computer is my old gaming rig. The case has some issue where the front audio analog doesn't seem to work and neither do the USBs on the front. The motherboard also has slight damage where one of the plastic clasps to secure a PCI card snapped off:

For the laptop it's an a HP EliteBook 8560w. I'm not aware of any damages to the laptop itself but the charging cable has seen better days:

Similar to the Compaq I don't have any of the discs that came with it as this laptop was provided to me by the tech school I studied at.

Anyway with that said, here's a few questions I have:

1. For obvious reasons I am going to run DBAN on these machines to wipe the hard drives. Should I reinstall Windows 7 though my OEM disc before selling them?

2. If yes to #1 are there any free programs that are useful for finding the devices and driver information?

3. Are there any good sources for finding a good price range to sell these at? Just to be sure I'm not getting ripped off if I try to sell at a store here in town.

Leader of the Brain Eating Space Monkeys
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

I think I have Driver Doctor installed at home, that is usually pretty good at finding the right drivers for stuff.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

For those, since they are both HP compaq, if you go to hp.com and go to drivers and support and punch in the serial #, it will let you download all the applicable drivers as install files. I'd just do that first, dump them onto a usb flash drive, and copy and run them. I have to do that a lot at work as we have a bunch of laptops that don't even have optical drives.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

When they have valid Win7 keys, why bother with this oldie that will go out of service in 8 months and takes tons of effort to find drivers when you can just slap Win10 on it? It finds 90% of drivers by itself and doesn't run out of support...

BG Level

I don't have a win 10 cd or USB with the installer

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    I don't have a win 10 cd or USB with the installer
    The great thing about it is you can make a USB yourself for free. And even better, if you've never made one before, it LITERALLY makes itself.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BG Level

Hmm interesting. Any problems I should be aware of such as it being unregistered? Wouldn't mind upping my current machine to Win10

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

None. Matter o fact, my wife's desktop has never had a registered key and not one issue has occurred. I wouldn't have noticed (I thought I had obtained a key) but I saw the watermark. She has no complaints so neither do I!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

The things it takes away dont honestly affect the average user these days

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BG Level

Sounds promising. I'll try to get around that when I can.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

About a Win10 installation media: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10 It just needs a USB stick (ideally 8GByte since a 4GByte stick might be too small) and a bit of time.
    And license-wise: did the devices come pre-installed with Windows? If so they should have a license sticker with a key somewhere. Type that in and Win10 will activate just fine.
    For devices that already came with Win8 and only have the small windows flag sticker, the license key is in the BIOS and Win10 will pick it up automatically.