Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

SE Software Token suddenly stopped working

So, this is weird... I was just prompted to accept the terms and conditions when opening the token app, after which it took me to the registration screen. The thing is, I've been using the app on this phone for months already, and I'm pretty sure I didn't somehow uninstall and reinstall it without noticing.

Okay, that's dumb, but at least I saved my emergency removal password so I won't have to deal with customer support... right? Wrong. The website claims the password doesn't match.

And now, to cap it all off, I'm just getting an error when trying to submit an email support ticket...

Anyone else had issues like this?

Edit: I managed to submit a ticket by changing the sub-category of my request from "Unlink" to "App Errors", which results in a slightly different and apparently error-free form. It's a bit sad that I don't even find this level of fail that surprising coming from SE.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

So, it turns out this is an issue with Google Fi. Apparently the SE Software Token app is designed to nuke your data if the phone changes carriers... which happens routinely with Google Fi because they lease network access from multiple providers and can switch your provider on the fly. I'm honestly surprised I made it over 3 months without this happening.

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Djohn View Post
    So, it turns out this is an issue with Google Fi. Apparently the SE Software Token app is designed to nuke your data if the phone changes carriers... which happens routinely with Google Fi because they lease network access from multiple providers and can switch your provider on the fly. I'm honestly surprised I made it over 3 months without this happening.
    That is not unique to Fi, multiple sim phones are easily a thing too. So it is surprising (not..) that SE would overlook something basic.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

This isn't the fault of SE, as they do not have control of how the authentication handles the swap of your SIM or the network attached to the phone. Their software token app makes use of a third-party library to handle the tokens, which they do not control. They simply license the lib to make use of it, while the parent company owns and operates the tokens and such. SE just attaches to their API as needed.

The token company that they use is Vasco Digipass. (Now known as OneSpan.) And on their own site, they overview things like this as part of their systems security to prevent fraud, man in the middle attacks and similar to prevent your token id from being abused or stolen.