+ Reply to Thread
    E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Linux is the future of gaming

I've been hearing some tech people say this around the time that AMD started getting seriously back into chips (about early 2018). With Google's streaming service (Google OS is a fork of Linux but I think the streaming is going to be full Linux) and Nvidia is spending more time tweaking their cards for Linux and just rolling basic updates for Windows, I was curious on BG's thoughts. Steam always adds more and more support and I've always loved Ubuntu and Manjaro is a very close second. Could Linux be the future of gaming?

Edit: Google will use Vulcan and PopOS is another OS I'm liking.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Honestly, it depends if the games that end up on Strada get a release that's compatible on a native Linux distro.

Considering we already didn't see that for Assassin's Creed Odyssey for their project stream beta I don't have near term hopes that the status quo for PC gaming will radically change.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

The future: rather unlikely, it's not mainstream and widespread enough, so too many game studios/publishers will keep ignoring it.
    An alternative: definitely. Especially when you prefer indie over AAA titles your chances are high that there's a linux port or even a native version that runs fine.

It's also a good thing that the GPU manufacturers have finally started to invest into the open source drivers instead of only caring about their proprietary code, that should vastly improve graphics compatibility and performance under linux, and that will make it easier for developers to see value in creating linux versions. Valve and their approach to get linux-based "steam machines" out paired with getting more games ported for them also helps.