+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I took a look at it. That home screen is crazy, someone needed to take a class on 'more is not always better.' Like 30 different things to click plastered all over.

Speaks in riddles
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Reyd Nalaar
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Draenor

Over the course of FFRK, FFBE, Valkyire Antomia, and now this the home screens and shit to do from day one are so abundant.

I DL'ed it, my first pull was lame but I'm going to press on through, still in the tutorial quests cause my work hasn't slowed down one beat with the COVID Death plague.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I think Arknights has spoiled me a bit, but there is way too much going on in this game for me to be able to enjoy it as a mobile game. So many different types of currency and ways to manage and advance your character. I understand that it's to prolong the grind, but it feels like a management sim, on top of a game.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

My little brother and I just had that same conversation. Like theres way too many simultaneous systems at work. I mean theres like 7 different systems just for powering up your character... at launch. We also discussed duplicates being used as a currency to level up (jobs?), like it just seems like thats going to be the paywall in Mid/late game. FFBE had that too with 7*'s but that was like, 1yr+ into the games life.

REGARDLESS

Going to try and get used to it and see if I enjoy it more when I got the hang of it. We'll see!

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The reason there's so many systems and currencies is because, again, it's a direct rip from TAC including all of the systems that have been added to that game over the years.

The monetization in this is classic Gumi scumfuckery. Need to spend hundreds/thousands of dollars just to unlock 2x battle speed for example. No less than 8 $80 monthly packs to directly buy power. Etc. Progressing your characters will eventually be locked behind months of progress or a swipe of your credit card. And units like Thancred don't exist unless you spend (this is the same as TAC too).

This is one of those games where the only currency is $$$ for some units and unlocks. No amount of time spent will get you some things.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Looking at the medal shop and seeing how much you can outright buy thancred for is absurd. He costs 300 medals and you get 20 per multi so that would roughly be 26k visiore needed to get him? You gotta whale hard to grab him or farm the absolute hell out of the event instead.

friend code: 3740123211

Decided to fuck around between stamina refreshes in 7DS. Kind of annoyed how derpy the auto is. Have a mage that has immobilize and comet as her default abilities, and instead of using comet, 90% of the time she'll use the debuff when she could've killed whatever with the nuke. Can't see any way to tell her not to use it, either.

Speaks in riddles
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Reyd Nalaar
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Draenor

3174275725 If BG people want to friend up.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    The reason there's so many systems and currencies is because, again, it's a direct rip from TAC including all of the systems that have been added to that game over the years.

The monetization in this is classic Gumi scumfuckery. Need to spend hundreds/thousands of dollars just to unlock 2x battle speed for example. No less than 8 $80 monthly packs to directly buy power. Etc. Progressing your characters will eventually be locked behind months of progress or a swipe of your credit card. And units like Thancred don't exist unless you spend (this is the same as TAC too).

This is one of those games where the only currency is $$$ for some units and unlocks. No amount of time spent will get you some things.
    Actually the speed increases come naturally via unlocks/time. You can just load out $$$ to get it all now.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

It takes real life years to hit rank 8 with free points

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I didn't check how long it would take, but I was just messing around and ranked up that royal rank thing and got auto battle to 1.5 speed. If the $$$$ is that bad I'll quit it like I quit TAC, but messing around with it for the moment.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

By all means, if you enjoy it go for it. Just hope people are tempering their expectations and knowing what they're getting into with this thing.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I don't get peoples hard ons with mobile games that are designed to fuck with your brain to drain way more $ than you'd ever really spend in a single game.

Yeah yeah, I'll see myself out now.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Well, I enjoy the building aspect. It's similar to what I like about FFXI. But FFXI is now at monthly updates, many of which don't even really give me any upgrades, whereas mobile games can have a ton of grind, but let you auto it, so you get the upgrading your characters aspect, and only need to actively play for the new boss fights every week or two. It's not ideal for me, especially the gacha systems, but I like the near perpetual upgrades.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hioki Mitone
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

Was able to clear most of the normal FFXIV quests with a team around level 20 and a level 40 medina(who died after her second attack anyways). After you clear the level 40 quest you get access to conquest which is level 25? You can pretty much guarantee getting thancred if you save currency from the bonus missions.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    I don't get peoples hard ons with mobile games that are designed to fuck with your brain to drain way more $ than you'd ever really spend in a single game.

I hate the shit out of it, too, but the release of good (J)RPGs on consoles or PCs has practically shriveled in the past years because it's easier for them to shill some sub-SNES tier game with PS1 graphics onto mobile, sometimes with sex appeal and/or nostalgia pandering on top for added cash grab. Also seems to be the only hope some franchises have for sequels/continuance. Occasionally you'll get decent standalone games like Another Eden, but it's still not hard to see how they could be improved if stripped of certain gacha/time sink elements.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post

Honestly I only ever truly enjoy about 1 in 10 that i play and about 1 in 20 that keep my attention for more than a week. Most mobile games are complete shit but every so often you find one that just hooks you and is real fun even if you don't spend money. I have one real rule, and its generally not to spend money, and if I spend money, I spend no more than 12$ a month... same as I would have on FFXI. So far in the last year i've spent about 0$ on a mobile game and its entirely because I've felt no need too but also because I'm poor :D

I hate the industry, I hate the manipulation and the "Designing games to be frustrating" portion of it all... Legit it sucks which is why I almost never reward it, despite that not meaning anything because the only people who matter are whales. but occasionally I find a "good" game among them.

Like, example - If you're a fan of the Chrono series of games, I'd seriously recommend "Another Eden". IDK if it gets bad late game but it feels like a genuine RPG, the gacha element is so unintrusive its shocking. Its the most "not mobile" mobile game I've ever downloaded and I highly recommend it to anyone whos a fan of JRPGs. Its a game you'd have to play to believe it exists as a free mobile game.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hioki Mitone
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    Like, example - If you're a fan of the Chrono series of games, I'd seriously recommend "Another Eden". IDK if it gets bad late game but it feels like a genuine RPG, the gacha element is so unintrusive its shocking. Its the most "not mobile" mobile game I've ever downloaded and I highly recommend it to anyone whos a fan of JRPGs. Its a game you'd have to play to believe it exists as a free mobile game.
    Can second this. Another Eden is full jrpg with very little gacha. You can clear nearly all the story with the main cast until into the second season with moderate difficulty. You also have a persona 5 collab and the characters from that are top tier while also being free.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Side note: Anyone create a BG Guild yet?

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Hioki View Post
    Can second this. Another Eden is full jrpg with very little gacha. You can clear nearly all the story with the main cast until into the second season with moderate difficulty. You also have a persona 5 collab and the characters from that are top tier while also being free.
    Another really good one is Evertale. Costs like 0.99c but that's it. Full on 40-60hr pokemon esque jrpg