+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Investing in a Thief seems good (Mia is fine if you play safe with her). Steal can get job memories which might be much better than the drop rate.

Farming Elemental Awakening mats from the Alcrystals stages is long and boring (the first two stages aren’t bad since there are chests, but level 3 and beyond have no chests and you’ll likely get like just 1-2 drops per run). It’s not so bad if you’re afking auto on multi but it still seems like one of the most pointless grinds in this game.

I wish gacha would have higher difficulty rates for higher drops on all stages. One thing I appreciate about Star Ocean Anamnesis (especially Episode 2 which had the same for story missions).

Gacha games won't be improving anytime soon as long as we have assclowns with more money than sense dropping thousands of dollars on banners and/or ways to skip grinding. Industry needs regulated so fucking hard, but this isn't a new argument from me.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Swore up and down after FFBE I would never touch a Gumi game again, but started this last night and am enjoying it immensely. Got 2 UR units, Mediana (who I also got a dupe so LB1 atm) and main chars dad, also leveling that SR time mage, Yshtola, and MC.

Too low level ATM to care about guilds, but I'll hit this thread up again in a few days.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Wish I could say the same Rob. I tried this last night and was overwhelmed and hated pretty much everything. There's a really good game in here somewhere, but it's buried behind insane levels or grinding that I can just see coming a mile away at this point.

Weapons, levels, jobs. needing a squad will all different affinities etc. No thanks, Gumi.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

I think it’s an okay game to keep up with just for the story, and if you just log on and get login bonuses here and there. It’s definitely like any other gacha if you try to min/max though.

I actually wanted to try playing FFBE again last month. I logged on, did a few missions... then just logged off and haven’t look back so far.

I think I’d love to play it again because I actually really enjoy all the characters and the story but just clicking reload and repeat and clicking through menus 20x once or twice daily gets tiring really fast.

This is definitely not that much different either (there is at least some QoL that makes it less tedious). However, if you feel like having an old school FF experience again and if you are okay with not worrying about min/maxing too much, it can still definitely a fun experience. The game definitely tires you out if you try to go for everything everyday (unlike FFBE, a lot of resets happen every 8 hours which adds up to watching video ads 9 times per day instead of only 5 times per 24 hours like FFBE; etc).

So far though, you can get away with not playing much and progressing though. These games really make me wish there was a single player version without all the gacha baggage, because I really do enjoy the characters, and the stories, etc but until then, it’s an okay replacement if you are looking for an old school FF experience on the go.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Is anyone else having issues with hangups or force closures with this game? Makes the game harder to enjoy than anything.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I play on a Pixel 3 and had occasional crashes, maybe once every few hours. In the settings, I changed the graphics to low a few days ago. Since then, I've had maybe a crash a day or so, playing for hours on end. The only issues I still experience involve multiplayer.

The Free Play arena is a crapshoot, sometimes I fail to connect to someone and have to restart, other times it works without issue. Multiplayer co-op seems to also be a bit rough. When I get a room where everyone is on point and seemingly playing on good connections, then it's snappy and works well. Rooms like this that go on for 10+ fights are a great and lucrative experience. All it takes is one person having a jank connection for it to all go to shit though, you end up sitting there for minutes at a time waiting for someone to disconnect, reconnect, etc. The rooms that don't have Auto enabled are terrible too.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Robertfb View Post
    Swore up and down after FFBE I would never touch a Gumi game again, but started this last night and am enjoying it immensely. Got 2 UR units, Mediana (who I also got a dupe so LB1 atm) and main chars dad, also leveling that SR time mage, Yshtola, and MC.

Too low level ATM to care about guilds, but I'll hit this thread up again in a few days.
    Just apply for BlueGartr, we have one slot open and I'd rather get you in now before someone else takes it. Don't worry about level, the only thing guilds are good for right now are free rewards.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    Just apply for BlueGartr, we have one slot open and I'd rather get you in now before someone else takes it. Don't worry about level, the only thing guilds are good for right now are free rewards.
    Thanks, but I already joined the discord one that is up.

If getting Mont to JL12 has taught me anything, it's that BRV maintenance is a fucking pain. Ahrimen can go to hell. The job orb he needs for Lord doesn't exist, either.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    It's that BRV maintenance is a fucking pain. Ahrimen can go to hell.
    Oh damn, that's what's been dropping my bravery lol. My Sterne dropped to 70~ at some point and I had no idea why.

Mine was 97, dropped to like 20 because every time their gaze landed it knocked off 4-5. Stages for Mont have 3 ahrimen apiece. Can do the math when having to run them dozens of times. Occasionally had to manual play 3-4 rounds to stall and collect crystals to avoid starting in chicken status.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Couple of new events coming. Etre Unlockable and guild battles on April 15. Just like most gacha, it’s disappointing a lot of characters with cool unit designs won’t be used much due to their rarity rating. Though, a lot of MRs and SRs have uses here and there but still it’d be neat if there was a way to upgrade lower rarity units to higher. I found Etre to be a really silly character (smelling gimmick) but I did enjoy her and found her funny in the event story.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I've found a good bit of use from N, R, and SR units by LBing them and awakening them on the cheap to get the missions completed for extra rank. With friend points having a real use, getting a few extra can help a lot. I've got the ones I've unlocked lvl 40 for sitting in the chocobo expedition so they'll eventually hit 40, giving me their master ability quest for extra visiore and job orbs and such. Definitely a long term benefit, but in a few months, I'll likely be able to get some TMRs outta them too.

Rainbow fragments of thought are a massive gating material though. It makes me not want to awaken those lower rarity units past 3-4*, once the rainbow frags begin showing up. It's far too limited of a material to invest in units I won't be using at this time. I've also found Azure spheres to be a huge gate when it comes to using MR characters. I can't really do anything with any MRs because I awakened Mont and Y'shtola. I even pulled on the banner a few times just to get extra Azure spheres to awaken Y'shtola more. This barrier carries over to vision cards too. I have some I could awaken, but compared to units, awakening them just isn't worth it.

Wish the crafting QoL change to pick which random type you'd like to carry over to your new weapon would land. I'm nearing the mats needed for a Golden Sword +4, but I don't want to craft it and end up rolling Vital or something else. I have next to 0 interest in +5 gear, so +4 is pretty much my end goal.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

So, as someone that played (well still does on occasion) TAC and this, some initial thoughts since this game gets a lot of "This is just a cut and paste of TAC". Feel free to ignore the ramblings and move on. ;tldr basically "things that are similar, things that aren't, speculation about the future"

Upgrading Units

The job system is very similar to TAC: Each character has three jobs; the jobs get unlocked as you awaken units. The farming of materials for job upgrades was a little bit easier in TAC (you leveled each job through six equipment slots -- these were all available through story missions).

WoTV makes upgrading units a *bit* easier even though there's both 'limit break' and 'awakening' because, save collabs, you can farm the shards and mats easily.

What's different is that TAC units were initially capped at 85 once you limit broke them fully. Getting to 99 required Kaigan (enlightenment -- more on this later).

Weapon Upgrades

TAC tied it to a combination of a low cost gacha mechanic along with some event exclusive items that weren't bad. WoTV's is a convoluted freaking mess. On initial observation, it's a crapton worse.

Vision Cards

TAC had something similar called Nensou(JP)/Mementos(NA). On a surface glance, it actually seems to be easier to upgrade these in WoTV. There's also the added benefit that even the normal rarity ones have some use.

TAC didn't have the additional slot for espers. However, fully limit breaking a Memento gave you an item (basically like a TMR). Also, certain Mementos gave the character a different skin or outfit (in the case of Zahar, he goes from being Edgy to MAXIMUM EDGELORD)

Mementos also had a similar deal with 'group skill' 'individual skills' but made it a bit more complicated: i.e. the unit equipping it got some bonuses; certain units connected the equipping unit would get separate bonuses. Sometimes the latter overlapped. Other times they didn't. Also, Mementos sometimes would come with a unique passive or active ability depending on the unit equipped.

I actually like how WoTV simplifies this quite a bit.

Unit Set Up

Both follow the same elemental spread. All units in TAC had a leader skill (e.g. All Dark Units +50% Physical attack). WoTV appears to have scrapped that.

In some ways I think that' s a lot better, since the early meta of TAC (and even to this day) really pushed for mono element team. You'd have the rare unit that would have a skill that applied across all elements (Envy from the FMA collab is notable).

It's also what made Mementos a lot more annoying: You might have a powerful Mementos that gave boosts to a range of units, but they were all different elements (for example, imagine something like "Leonis Royals receive <x> stat bonus". . then consider the elemental spread of Mont, Oelde, Helena, and Sterne).

Collabs

TAC has run a ton of collabs: The ones I remember:

Fate: Gilgamesh, Saber, Rin, Ilyasfel (w/e the name), Archer (free) + Collab versions of TAC chars.
    AOT: Eren, Mikasa, Hange, Levi, some blonde dude (free)
    FMA: Edward, Roy, Pride, King Bradley, Riza, Envy (Free) Al (free)
    FFXV: All the bros (1st Collab) | Regis, Iris, Cor (2nd collab; N/A hasn't gotten it)
    Disgaea: Laharl, Etna, Killua, some other D5 characters I can't remember
    7DS: All the sins save Merlin/Escanor

7DS / Fate were straight up cash grabs (no story attached to them). AOT came when they introduced raids. The others actually had a pretty good story attached to it (Disgaea, in particular, was freaking hilarious).

JP has rerun a few of them (Disgaea, FMA, and FFXV for sure).

The main thing with collabs is that there are some characters that were straight up busted when they came out: Laharl, Levi, Meliodas and Noctis, and the King of Carry--er, King of Heroes, Gilgamesh. . who eventually fell off hard which brings us to:

Unit Meta/Viability

So, the Enlightenment/Kaigan thing mentioned earlier. Eventually they introduced a mechanic to further boost characters. I'm happy to explain it more in depth if people are curious later, but the basics is that it's sorta like merits in FFXI.

Unfortunately, doing them requires exclusive Enlightenment materials *and* unit shards.

And this is why collab units fell off in some cases: Some were released before Enlightenment and never got them. Others were released after, but since shards were in limited supply.. you were kind of screwed unless you got the 'omni-unit shards'

As an aside, remember Zahar I mentioned earlier? He was an initial "UR" style pull that was a Dark Unit (a lot like Sterne). ..They also gave him away for free later. And his event-farmable sword is stupidly powerful (high attack, TP-equivalent regen). He's also one of the most powerful dark units in the game.

Random thoughts

Anyway, what does this mean for WoTV? Some takeaways:

1) If we learned anything from other gachas, I'm going to be wary as fuck about chasing limiteds (even Orlandeau), because if they pull a similar bit of nonsense with Kaigan, not rerunning events will screw us.
    2) Unlike TAC, lower tier units seem a bit more viable in WoTV
    3) No leader skills means multi-element teams might be more viable in WoTV. Good, since materials are scarce

Anyway, if you read all of this, thanks! I'm happy to chat if anyone also wants to compare thoughts, or add to this.

Speaks in riddles
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Reyd Nalaar
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Draenor

I have never put so much time and effort into a phone game before. I'm finally on the yellow memory/shard grind, I can't imagine how the Pink will be.

As I'm taking Y'shtola as high as I can manage, will it be in my best interest to grind out tombs for the yellow/pink job memories in the Mog shop?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Jinn View Post
    As I'm taking Y'shtola as high as I can manage, will it be in my best interest to grind out tombs for the yellow/pink job memories in the Mog shop?
    Yes, you can't get Sorceress memories anywhere else, so if you don't get them, your only other option would be the Nameless Hero memories, which are much more expensive.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah, you'll need to buy the job orbs from the shop, only place to get them. The rest of the yellow and red materials can be grinded. Yellow has story quests to grind, while red is relegated to only the far plane. You can get double drops on Saturday, so grinding them then is best, but it's a massive pool of RNG.

Good insights BTW Ayn.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Thanks Malithar. And Jesus, your Sterne helped me one shot the ex and ex2 shadowbringers mob.

To be clear, there’s a lot I do still like about TAC and stuff I WANT to like about WOTV. The farming for jobs is less tedious in some ways and more in others.

Also, for those waiting on the FFT event, Gaffgarion is a free MR unit that’s solid.

If this follows the pattern with other Gumi games, though, the key is going to be to wait for some ridiculously broken global exclusive, if Esther, Zeno, and Roxanne have shown us anything..

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Our first Guild War seems to have gone well lol. The system mentions crap about Guild Leaders setting defenses and stuff but I can't find ANY of that crap actually in game, so guess I'll figure that out when the time comes... perhaps its for when the enemy guild has more/fewer people? idk.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast