+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Notre Dame is on fire     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    This is one of those things that a sane president would bring up in a meeting with advisors, where someone would say "No Mr. President, that is not feasible for xyz reasons." and the President would say "Oh, I was not aware of that. Thank you for making sure I don't look dumb to the public." But nah, not this president.
    He must act quickly though.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

The cathedral can and will be restored, but the extent of damage means we won't see it fully restored for a very very long time. The cathedral has plenty of data to pull from to rebuild including a full 3D scan (these have stupid accurate measurements). Hopefully most of the decorative stonework is in tact, those are likely the largest lead time in getting this restored. The interiors tho . .

Relic Shield
    BG Level

not sure how long will it take to fully restored

Leader of the Brain Eating Space Monkeys
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

RIP Quasimodo

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

French billionaires are going to put up 300+mil to see what they can fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Osede View Post
    not sure how long will it take to fully restored
    A fair chunk of Windsor Castle (also 12th century with major later alterations) burnt down in 1992. Reopened fully in 1997. Notre Dame will take longer, but it's not going to take the 200-odd years it took to build it in the first place.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Scizor View Post
    RIP Quasimodo
    No ones ever really gone

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mythe_Seraph View Post
    No ones ever really gone
    Oh. Oh you.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

I mean I'm not seeing it in the same light everyone else is. This isn't the first fire. Sure, maybe for our lifetimes it'll "never be the same" but they've already gone through multiple reconstructions after fire damage; so while we're looking at rebuilt shit, a couple hundred years from now, some other generation will see the rebuilt structure in the same light as people today look at the rebuilt structure

I stick my dick in Crayfish
    BG Level

Also maybe when they rebuild it this time, they'll use better materials and have adequate fire safety mechanisms....

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    French billionaires are going to put up 300+mil to see what they can fix.
    Donations for the restoration are up to $700 million. Too bad we don't get donations at that level for other worthy causes other than restoring the church of a religion that has billions of dollars. I was surprised at how well the building survived the fire in the after photos today. They did a good job of preserving a lot of it. Also since it was under restoration currently a lot of the artwork was saved too.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I'm calling inside job to squeeze money from sources because they didn't have enough to do perform a restoration at the quality they desired.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post
    The cathedral can and will be restored, but the extent of damage means we won't see it fully restored for a very very long time. The cathedral has plenty of data to pull from to rebuild including a full 3D scan (these have stupid accurate measurements). Hopefully most of the decorative stonework is in tact, those are likely the largest lead time in getting this restored. The interiors tho . .
    Much of which future generations will see when it is fully restored and there is no more scaffolding or anything are going to be recreations. It would be like if someone took a crown of an ancient king out of a museum and melted it down and they were like, "We'll just make another one!"

Here is a article on some of what was saved and what was lost:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/notre-d...tunic-windows/

I also read somewhere else that what happened to a piece of wood believed to be part of the cross Jesus was crucified on and a nail are unknown.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

Its a tragedy, but will be rebuilt no problem I suppose. We’ve had Hagia Sophia burned, collapsed in earthquakes multiple times in history. Still up and good for 1500 years now...probably even stronger.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

There apparently aren't trees in France large enough anymore to rebuild the roof the way it used to be, so they'll have to source it from somewhere else or build it differently.

Just one of the many changes that rebuilding will entail.

Idk, every time I go to a historical monument and see a sign that says "partially rebuilt in 19xx" I always wonder which parts, and feel a little sad...

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It'll be like how the temples are in greece where you'll be able to see what used to be old and what is new.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Fiye View Post
    It'll be like how the temples are in greece where you'll be able to see what used to be old and what is new.
    It fucked me up hard playing Assassin’s Creed Odyssey and seeing all the statues and shit with actual paint and fully colored.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

The misinformation running around about the windows is driving me bonkers. One report claims all the rose windows survived; another reports many are lost. Some say the windows date from the 1200s, others say the windows were replaced in the 1960s. I have no idea what's real and what's bullshit anymore. I hope we get a proper report from France at some point.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries