+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Enhancing My WiFi     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Enhancing My WiFi

I use my PS4 on WiFi due to the router being upstairs. Any tips for boosting the signal down here? I keep getting DC'd while playing games online and its driving me nuts. Pretty sure that the WiFi router we have is the same one that Cox sent us whenever we moved here 4 years ago

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

I guess 2 options and possible 3rd

1) Powerline adapter
    2) Snake a line from the modem to a router to use as an access point that's closer to the PS4.
    3) Wireless extender/repeater that will get the good connection upstairs before it travels through the floor. It's what I had to do to get better signals on the other side of my home.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Also google mesh? Isn’t that a thing for making WiFi hella good throughout the house?

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'd also say if you're using a router given to you by your provider, consider buying your own.

I've been using this for years - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear...?skuId=4403100

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

same, I skipped the ISP router and have my own and a wireless repeater to boost the signal in the other half of the house

though Im interested in the google mesh but I want to keep most of my shit wired at this point

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Chiming in on powerlan.

If your electrical wiring is anywhere sane it’s the best way to get a rock solid LAN connection throughout a household.
    I tried for years to properly span my parents house with WiFi but there’s factors outside a bad router that you can’t influence (namely interference from other networks, especially on 2.4ghz where any other WiFi router as well as Bluetooth and a ton of IoT devices are active now).

Powerlan (or d-lan) simply modulates your LAN traffic over your houses power grid, safe and encrypted and gives you native LAN outlets on whichever power socket you plug in a receiver.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I've been using a motorola surfboard sb6121 modem forever and now some middle of the pack Asus router. Those are set up in the living room and run a switch so I'm hardwired to my PC which is across the room. I run a couple of Asus RN-N12 repeaters upstairs. Those have been on sale for $10 after rebate numerous times.