1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 1 hours, 15 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 22 hours, 44 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 18 hours, 15 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 15 hours, 44 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Starting out     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The only way for it to ever stop working with XIV is if XIV switched from DirectX to another API.

Aka, it will never happen.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Make sure you do your weekly fashion report to have MGP for the FFXV mount.

https://twitter.com/KaiyokoStar/stat...33565290717184

Just get the Starter Curiass from the Lv5 GLD quest (Might have to visit a Calamity Salvager to buy it for 100 gil) and dye your helmet soot black.

https://twitter.com/KaiyokoStar/stat...38593581850624

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Obviously not a big poster, (hence why I had to post instead of making a thread) although certainly can't thank BG enough for a great forum over the years. That being said, I have played XI since release and really want to start playing XIV. I did play 1.0 and bout lost it over how bad it was. I know a lot has changed isn't even the way to describe it now.

I don't really know anyone personally that plays, which is my biggest fear topped with I am a horrible typer which means I'd rather just Discord, which likely makes it hard to find folks to play with.

Based on the above, is it even worth it or has the ship passed?

Thanks,
    Nite

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Nah shit's pretty friendly. Most jobs are pretty simple to play up to 50 and things get layered on slow enough you'll catch on quick.

Also you won't be able to type during combat. Combat is like WoW's except with a longer GCD (2.5 seconds) that gets bumped down a bit depending on your job + all the buttons you have to press.

If anything else think of the leveling content as mostly single player ala The Old Republic. When you reach the new expansion that comes out you'll be able to run the level71-79 leveling dungeons there solo with NPC partners. (This doesn't extend to other dungeons)

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

definitely wouldn't say the ship has sailed. while no game will ever be able to replicate playing XI as a 14 year-old idiot, I can honestly say XIV gets better and better over time

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Thanks for the replies, apparently I made it to level 9 during 1.0 and have a shit ton of mail. I am on Excalibur, and a somewhat familiar face. I played with you on Leviathan in Draylo's shell.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I think there's a contingent of BG posters on Excalibur (or maybe that's the hardcore raid Bluegarter FC, I dunno), so you might be able to join a FC or LS though that.

But yeah, game is still going strong and is at its highest as far as accounts and logins go. You're also in a good spot I think. If you like storylines and etc, you got 3 expansions worth (well, basically 4 if you count 2.0 and 2.1~2.5 as a game/expansion each) of storyline to play through. HW's story being my favourite and with ShB coming out in like a week, that storyline is looking to be fucking awesome so far too!

Much of the game you can do solo and yeah, dungeons are pretty easy to play through with other people. And they ease you in as far as mechanics and job skills and etc go too. If anything, I'd say go at your own pace and just enjoy all the content for the first time.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Is there any European ls or anything on the forums? My FC will probably revive for the launch but otherwise is pretty dead

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I did most of your tips Fiye (thanks helped a lot), but the HUD is pretty massive compared to XI lol. Is there any like HUD configs like you can download and use or you just have to keep tinkering? 2nd question is in combat in XI you can just set to autotarget whatever is next you will start attacking if in range, cant seem to adjust the setting to achieve this.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Nitenichi View Post
    I did most of your tips Fiye (thanks helped a lot), but the HUD is pretty massive compared to XI lol. Is there any like HUD configs like you can download and use or you just have to keep tinkering? 2nd question is in combat in XI you can just set to autotarget whatever is next you will start attacking if in range, cant seem to adjust the setting to achieve this.
    I play on ps4 so auto attacking I just click on mob twice with Controller. Should be same with mouse. And hud configuration is in menu settings on far right when looking .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Nitenichi View Post
    There isn't. On PC you do can do tab targetting to swap to the next monster.

For your HUD follow the directions I gave AG. There's a lot of QOL stuff that for some reason isn't automatically set even though its universally good. Beyond that I would look up a screenshot or some streams on twitch and try seeing what works for you. I'd compare XIV's UI to the WoW Addon ElvUI. There's a lot of extra shit that's now baked into XIV's UI that you probably won't find out or need until way later on.

For the first 35 levels though you should be pretty set. Just tweak things as they become apparent.

Or complain in here and someone will probably know how to deal with it.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Aye, I'll adjust as needed, thanks again for all the tips though. Only issue is the duty finder. I don't really like the loss of story downtime since I can't move forward til I get a party.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

If you're not a tank or healer then yeah the queue can take slightly long, but since you're new if I remember correctly the game gives you priority in the queue (somehow) over people manually queuing it.

So just queue, and either go do some side activity (appreciate this is not always possible depending on area) or just mute BGM and turn up the game and go do something else for a moment until you hear the ding.

Otherwise, I really blame Square's poor implementation of the "Levelling Roulette" rewards. A pity 5 tomes (current content/patch currency) is all you get out of it, for the exchange of neutering yourself way below level and gear in what is potentially a boring run. Heck, they don't even throw the new temporary tome into the levelling roulette as a reward to entice people doing the roulette. If they did that then I believe the queue would move much quicker.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

leveling gives you GC seals and 100 mendacity in addition to the 5 genesis. and that's before adventurer in need bonuses

if I ran it right now I'd get ~20k gil, 3.5k GC seals, a T6 materia, 100 mendacity, 5 genesis, and possibly a newcomer poetics bonus

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

nevermind that the stars could align and I could end up in ifrit, garuda, or titan storymode for a 2-minute run

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

oh man, titan leveling roulettes are god tier

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    oh man, titan leveling roulettes are god tier
    “I wonder if you can fall off the edge in story mode”

60% of the time it happens everytime

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Gonna leave this in here since it seems to be the general newer player tip thread: if you have a lv 70 and plan to lvl to 80 right away, stop EXPing on alts starting tonight (Monday)/tomorrow (Tuesday) morning if you want a full rested XP bar ready and charged.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

First off thanks for giving me the reason to play, this has been really amazing. A couple things looking over thus far, since I play with a controller, targeting is a bit annoying. Free companies, I still can't seem to find any or the right ones. Now I dont know enough about offenses but 1 FC i had joined kicked this guy for saying "PLD's in general use shit stances" and when I asked why the guy got kicked said what he said was a bannable offense. Now I am used to FFXI where it was downright abusive but GD just saying that is a game bannable offense? So now i just dont say anything and basically just use the heat of the battle from this FC.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

the best FCs are the ones you are in by yourself