+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 157 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

i stopped watching wwe at the sucky raw after mania... if aew can keep this up with weeklys im done for good

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

That ending was fucking LAME!

Champion of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

That evolution of Jericho entrance was awesome.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Huh, I dunno if anyone saw that finish coming.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

That was a letdown compared to the previous matches. Not in who won since I was fine with either. It just didn't seem as exciting and the finish was lame.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Called it on Discord! Jericho beats Page next. Omega chases Jericho and the title.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Fucking awesome!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Wow! What an ending.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I marked huge for the Super Smash Bros debut. Love that the crowd didn't know who they were lol. If you're gonna be a so called BTE fan and follow the Young Bucks you gotta at least know their history in PWG with these guys lol. Evil Uno is a stand out for me. Jon Moxley at the end was awesome.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I'm reading the show recap on the WON website and not even the reviewer know who the Super Smash Bros are.

Here's a quick video of their match vs the Young Bucks at last year's ROH/NJPW War of the Worlds tour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE5I02qTPOU

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

He talks about getting busted open at 2:25.

It was Brandi hitting him with Cody's cane which has a wolf head on it.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Finished up the show this morning and just wow. Overall was very entertained. They had their hiccups but nothing too bad. My only gripe is the patting on the back Cody/Bucks sort of do.

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Anywhere i can watch this? I saw some highlights from r/sc and was pretty blown away

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'd imagine it's on the high seas somewhere.

And it's been confirmed by Cody that Moxley has signed a multiyear deal.

What a get for AEW, especially with how WWE was still treating him like such a big deal on his way out.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I do not have the illusion that <insert WWE person> will automatically be better used or just better in AEW. I am very intrigued to see what will happen to those that do join. I realize AEW only has so much space to occupy. I hope they realize regardless of said space if a big name pops up that they can get they should indeed get that person. Getting Mox is not only huge for AEW currently but it could be the thing that pushes others to explore other avenues.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Now that it's been a day, I still think Double or Nothing was excellent. I really liked that they were able to highlight so many different styles of wrestling. Each match on the main card felt unique which is what wrestling always was until WWE decided their style was the only way. I also felt each match left a distinct impression on who was important while not making anyone look like a nobody.

The bad stuff was production. Too many camera cuts, too many missed spots. Commentary was usually solid, but had some bad moments. I'm hoping that they learn from this and the Jacksonville show is better and then the Chicago show is even better.

Individual match thoughts in the spoiler
    Spoiler: show
    • Battle Royale - Kind of underwhelming, especially compared to last years BR. I didn't think enough guys got a chance to showcase themselves in this one. Hangman winning was not a surprise, but what should have happened.
    • Kip Sabian vs Sammy Guevara - Good match, but nothing blow away. I haven't see Kip Sabian beyond some highlights, but I've seen Sammy Guevara do some incredible stuff. At this point of the card, I thought they kinda fucked up. Nothing was really enticing anyone to watch the ppv, I felt.
    • SCU vs Strong Hearts - This changed the direction a lot though. Really great match. Thought everyone looked really good. Strong Hearts got over big despite a large portion of the crowd probably never watching Dragon Gate of OWE ever. I do wonder how long Scorpio Sky sticks with SCU. He is the youngest of the bunch at 36 and in the prime of his career. Conversely, this is the most over he has ever been.
    • Britt Baker vs Kylie Rae vs Nyla Rose vs Awesome Kong - Brandi came out in full gear and I legit thought she was going to go full Stephanie and insert herself in the match. Instead, once she said "awesome", I assumed it would be Awesome Kong. Kong got a huge fucking pop. As for the match, Kylie and Britt were the best which shouldn't be a surprise. Nyla has some decent power moves, but she looked pretty green. I know she was done some Japan tours with Sendai Girls and (I think) Marvelous, but they flew under my radar. I think the introducing of Kong kinda made Nyla redundant in the match though. Not surprised Britt won. She would be a really good brand ambassador as champion.
    • Best Friends vs Angelico and Jack Evans - This felt like the Jack Evans show to me. He bumped hard the entire match and pulled off his normal, crazy stuff. Thought the match hit its peak right before the end, as it should be. After the match, Super Smash Bros appeared with their minions and took out everyone. I guess they don't want to call them Super Smash Bros because of Nintendo, but I was surprised they went without naming them at all. Maybe they expected the crowd to know them from ROH and PWG, but it seemed like no one did with the crowd chanting "Who are you?" Probably one of the bigger mistakes made so far.
    • Hikaru Shida, Riho, and Ryo Mizunami vs Aja Kong, Emi Sakura, and Yuka Sakazaki - I thought this was awesome. Aja Kong was super over, I wasn't sure if the crowd would remember her. Yuka and her sugary hyper genie/magical girl gimmick got over huge. She is one of the best in TJPW, so I'm not surprised. Riho sold really well early and got some really impressive offense in late. Ryo Mizunami got some good stuff in, but didn't get the same reaction as the other girls. Her stuff is more just hard hitting whereas everyone else(minus Aja Kong) is a bit more flashy. Also, finding matches of hers is kinda hard since she works in WAVE a lot which doesn't post shit anywhere. Emi Sakura is so good. Obviously, her Queen "She Will Rock You" stuff got a reaction. She also looked really good with her other stuff. I wasn't surprised she took the fall of the bunch. Hikaru was maybe a little overshadowed by Yuka and Riho, but I thought she got enough in. She obviously has the physical appearance. Once she gets some singles matches, I think people will take to her even more. She was the correct one to win the match, being the only one with a full time contract, and showed off her Tamashi no Three Count to pin Emi. From a purely in-ring perspective, this was the match of the night for me.
    • Cody vs Dustin - I'm not a big blood or deathmatch person. It got really uncomfortable for me as the match went on. That being said, the shit at the end was fucking brilliant. From an entertainment perspective, this was probably the match of the night even if the in-ring stuff was nothing special.
    • I was legit shocked that Bret Hart came out. It was really cool. MJF cut a hell of a heel promo. Bret smiling at it was amusing to me. I guess Jimmy Havoc and Jungle Boy are getting presented as the tier below the Young Bucks/Kenny Omega/Cody/Page/Jericho.
    • Young Bucks vs Lucha Bros - I thought this match was awesome. It was very much a lucha inspired match. My "complaint" is that maybe too much was done. There were a million destroyers, there was that spot where Fenix was given a brainbuster onto the top turnbuckle. There were just so many moves getting kicked out that I stopped believing anything was going to be a pinfall until a finisher was hit. Not surprised the Bucks won since AAA already announced these 2 teams are going at it in Mexico in a few weeks
    • Kenny Omega vs Chris Jericho - I thought this was both great and not as good as their NJPW world match. The one thing I like about Jericho's back elbow finisher is that it can literally come out of nowhere. It adds a bit to the surprise.
    • Moxley coming out and beating up Jericho a little and Omega a lot immediately put him in with the other A-listers. I think a lot of people expected him in the battle royal, so for Moxley to come out after the main event and a short Jericho promo was really cool.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

AOC picked up on the Cody-Brandi story and retweeted it with comment. That should give AEW a huge amount of exposure.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1132759023281934337

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

A politics crossover for pro wrestling that's actually good press? Wild.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

So, the person who was being hyped to wrestle Juice Robinson in those video packages was revealed. RIP Juice.