+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Online learning resources     submit to reddit submit to twitter

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Online learning resources

Hey Tech land.

What is everyones favorite resource for learning new tech stuff? Specifically I want to learn SQL then MySQL and Oracle specific stuff. I would also like to learn more about networking.

I have heard of Udemy, CodeAcademy, and CBTNuggets.

I tried a trial of CodeAcademy and I liked how the lesson was a mixture of hands on typing and reading material. I do better when I learn by doing but I also am better when my doing is guided if you know what I mean.

So what resources has everyone in the IT world or wanting to break into the IT world done in the past?

(For the database stuff after I learn the basics of SQL I want to learn how to manipulate and analyze data as well.)

I did a search but didn't see this topic.

Thanks!

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

I tried Codecademy Python way back, and found it didn't have enough reading material, and then I hit the wall.

There was an exercise, where if you've learned things properly, and put in the right solution, the site wouldn't recognize it as valid.
    After googling to figure out wtf I was doing wrong, discovered I was doing nothing wrong, found other people had the same problem, and the program had had the issue for years and they'd done fuckall to fix it.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    I tried Codecademy Python way back, and found it didn't have enough reading material, and then I hit the wall.

There was an exercise, where if you've learned things properly, and put in the right solution, the site wouldn't recognize it as valid.
    After googling to figure out wtf I was doing wrong, discovered I was doing nothing wrong, found other people had the same problem, and the program had had the issue for years and they'd done fuckall to fix it.
    That is really good to know. I don't want to pay for a site that isn't updated/fixed. I will be more wary of code academy.

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Tech On The Net is usually my go-to for anything SQL-related.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

And by that: Fuck SQL

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Haha what else should I learn? I need to advance my IT career and data manipulation/analysis is a very strong market at the moment and SQL is pretty much it for databases.

Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ragns Meuhie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Until a Fortune 1000 company needs you because their bootcamp devs know fuck all about SQL and their database is crippled with data corruption. Then you can ask for twice the salary.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Oh I wish to be clear. Having the ability to do quality SQL queries, know how to validate the data and do all the complicated inner/outer join shit is super valuable.

I just hate java script and SQL alot.

Although at least SQL makes sense.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Oh I wish to be clear. Having the ability to do quality SQL queries, know how to validate the data and do all the complicated inner/outer join shit is super valuable.

I just hate java script and SQL alot.

Although at least SQL makes sense.
    I had a really bad java teacher in college therefore I hate java. I am sure it isn't as bad as I remember 17 years ago (fuck I am old) but he was so bad it left a sour taste in my mouth even after all these years.

SQL on the other hand I think will really open up some opportunities for me. Specially in the ability to work remotely.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I had an SQL professor who's stance on teaching was to figure it out yourself. Needless to say, a lot of people did poorly in the class. However because she had tenure, she gave no fucks.