+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Car questions     submit to reddit submit to twitter

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Let him get the Model 3. Last time I did the math (granted, for my LEAF), the cost to refuel was roughly equivalent to driving a (50 mpg) Prius when gas was $2.50/gallon. That was on LADWP, I know SoCal Edison (which I think you're on?) is even more expensive for electricity. Tl;dr don't expect huge fuel savings because our electricity is so fucking expensive. It's not nothing though.

The leases kinda suck, but the good news is that Teslas have really high resale value compared to other cars. The maintenance savings are real though, literally the only thing I've paid for on my LEAF in 4 years/35k miles is tires/tire rotations.

Because you'll have another gas vehicle anyway and California's supercharger network is so built out, there's no good reason to get a larger battery. The standard range+ has a 240 mile EPA range and "partial premium" interior starting at $39,900 (before $3750 federal and $2500 state rebates), feels like the sweet spot. Otherwise you're spending 10k more for an extra 70 miles of range and a few interior perks (premium audio, rear heated seats...in California, and a whopping 1 year of satellite maps/traffic info and internet browsing) - not worth it.

Let him buy a standard range+. And don't pay for full self driving, let other people be Elon's crash test dummies for the next half-decade plus it's fucking $6,000 and who knows when it'll actually be released. Autopilot is standard anyway for highway cruising. If he wants to be fancy let him spring for a different paint color and/or the 19" wheels (that look way nicer). Make sure you take delivery before July 1st (or you'll lose another $1875 in federal rebates). Do some internet shopping for your car loan, you should be able to get a much better APR than Tesla is offering.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    My parents paid for my sister’s and my college. It’s only fair I pay it forward.
    Respect, don't let these poors tell you not to do something super important for your kids' futures.

BG Level

Also, do you own your place? I think you do. What's your electric panel amperage? Installing a charger plug in your garage (you have a garage right?) can get pricey if you also have to upgrade to a 200 amp panel (and run a high-amp line to your garage).

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Respect, don't let these poors tell you not to do something super important for your kids' futures.
    Yeah, except it's not. Taking responsibility for your own future is actually one of the most important parts of going to college. If you want to help, sure. But giving them a full ride on your own dime in most cases doesn't actually help.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag View Post
    Yeah, except it's not. Taking responsibility for your own future is actually one of the most important parts of going to college. If you want to help, sure. But giving them a full ride on your own dime in most cases doesn't actually help.
    Giving them a full ride on your dime doesnt help as compared to...a full ride on their own dime? This makes no sense. College is stupid expensive for something necessary for a lot of jobs even when those jobs cant hope to pay back that education in the time borrowers expect. Theres a lot of problems with education, but a person's parents being able to afford that education without a loan isn't one of them.

They could also not go to college...and enjoy, on average, lower income and stability throughout their life. Being able to provide that for your child is not a negative for that child.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Giving them a full ride on your dime doesnt help as compared to...a full ride on their own dime? This makes no sense. College is stupid expensive for something necessary for a lot of jobs even when those jobs cant hope to pay back that education in the time borrowers expect. Theres a lot of problems with education, but a person's parents being able to afford that education without a loan isn't one of them.

They could also not go to college...and enjoy, on average, lower income and stability throughout their life. Being able to provide that for your child is not a negative for that child.

People take shit much more seriously when they have to pay for it themselves.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I'd say that persons immaturity is a different problem entirely.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I agree fully on this, mom'n'pop wont be around forever. Whose going to bail them out if they hit a rut and were never prepared for how the world really works? College taught me a lot of life lessons I probanly would have only experienced entering my early 30s right now. The importance of money management, having money put away if I am ever in trouble and getting shit paid on time. Life is hard and no one wants to see their children struggle, but its just college and once they have that experience they're better prepared for the world and you've helped make better humans. There is a night and day difference in quality of person out there that had a free ride and those that didn't.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I think you're generalizing based on an experience you had.

My cousin had a full ride through MIT and worked her ass off. Works for Google X, or whatever it's called now, helping to develop their drones.

Having a full ride didn't make her work any less. On the flip side, I paid for most of my college and I certainly could have worked harder.

I agree making sure you can retire is important, but helping your kids get an education is not something you should be fighting so adamantly.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

"let him get a car" - poor man smh my head

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    I think you're generalizing based on an experience you had.

My cousin had a full ride through MIT and worked her ass off. Works for Google X, or whatever it's called now, helping to develop their drones.

Having a full ride didn't make her work any less. On the flip side, I paid for most of my college and I certainly could have worked harder.

I agree making sure you can retire is important, but helping your kids get an education is not something you should be fighting so adamantly.
    Full ride is something you earn and can lose. Parents paying for their kids as a "full ride" is not the same thing at all. He worked his ass off because he had already earned it and didn't want to lose it.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Her parents paid for it. Not grants or scholarships.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    Her parents paid for it. Not grants or scholarships.
    Again, that's fine. I'm just saying that she shouldn't delay her own financial well being to save for her children's college. Other things take priority and children should pay for their own school in one way or the other.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/susanad.../#19356a6461d3

Article is from 2013.

BG Level

Again, that's fine. I'm just saying that she shouldn't delay her own financial well being to save for her children's college. Other things take priority and children should pay for their own school in one way or the other.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/susanad.../#19356a6461d3

Article is from 2013.
    And despite their lower grades, the graduation rate for students whose parents paid their full freight was higher than for those whose parents didn’t. That’s not surprising, since many students leave college for financial reasons.

BG Level

Being bogged down with student loan debt for 10+ years after graduation sucks dick, it's bad, should be avoided if possible. Delays homeownership, marriage, raising kids - debt is bad.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    I agree fully on this, mom'n'pop wont be around forever. Whose going to bail them out if they hit a rut and were never prepared for how the world really works? College taught me a lot of life lessons I probanly would have only experienced entering my early 30s right now. The importance of money management, having money put away if I am ever in trouble and getting shit paid on time. Life is hard and no one wants to see their children struggle, but its just college and once they have that experience they're better prepared for the world and you've helped make better humans. There is a night and day difference in quality of person out there that had a free ride and those that didn't.
    It's extremely funny to me that you think it's EASIER to manage your money and save for unexpected expenses and making payments on time if you have a pile of student loan debt than if you don't.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

It's extremely funny to me that you think it's EASIER to manage your money and save for unexpected expenses and making payments on time if you have a pile of student loan debt than if you don't.
    I don't find it funny. People talk like this all the time, give terrible advice like this all the time, all without ever thinking twice that maybe graduating with no debt is probably better than graduating with a high 5 figure debt, for all facets of life.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Yeah, people are nuts in thinking it'd be better to let my kids go into debt right off the bat.

I mean, I get that this is something some kids are stuck with doing, and I don't blame them. But it is definitely not my goal if I can avoid it for my kids.

I think personal responsibility has to start way earlier than college. My parents paid for it, but I worked my butt off anyway. My mom was a teacher and my father was a math professor, so I think I had a much better understanding of school expectations. I do that with my own kids, too.

As to our own "personal retirement" we both have retirement funds at work. And when I'm 70, I'd much rather spend the rest of my life knowing my kids are having a good life, than watching them struggle and have to bail them out with that "extra savings" anyway.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

lol retirement, we workin til we die fam

get that Model 3

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Also, do you own your place? I think you do. What's your electric panel amperage? Installing a charger plug in your garage (you have a garage right?) can get pricey if you also have to upgrade to a 200 amp panel (and run a high-amp line to your garage).

We do own our place and have a garage, but I don't know the amperage. I'll ask him. Good info on the battery though, thanks.

How do you like your Leaf? What has been the pros/cons to going all electric since you kinda live by us. Honestly, if it were my car, that's the one I'd go with. I like the look of it a lot.

At your previous post: Even with the Tesla having a higher resale pricetag, it's still a huge lose to buy one and sell it in a couple years if it doesn't work out for us. That's why I'd still like him to lease something else to test an electric before just buying one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast