+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Car questions     submit to reddit submit to twitter

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Electric Car questions

I am debating whether a Tesla is actually worth it nowadays.

So I promised my husband he could get a car once our son started kindergarten ($300 reduction in childcare costs, doesn't have to be that low a payment, just that helps make the payment manageable).

He (and I) wants to lease an electric to test out whether having an electric works for our lifestyle before doing a purchase (if it's too much of a hassle for us, we'll get a hybrid instead). Plus, once his lease is up, my car payments are done, giving extra money for a purchase.

So my husband wanted a Tesla, and at first I was adamantly against it for three reasons. 1. The cost. 2. It's just paying extra for bragging rights (we got kids to send to college, yo) 3. This one may sound stupid, but I don't trust Elon Musk. He is a legit loose canon nutbar, and with so many electronic parts connecting to their system, I could foresee him snapping one day and shutting the whole thing down.

But now he just got a $15k raise, and I wonder if maybe I should let him get one. What are your thoughts on the Tesla compared to other electrics? There are so many out there now, is it really any better?

TL;DR-Hubby wants to lease a Tesla. I don't think they're worth it. He got a huge raise, so maybe we should get one anyway. IDK

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

College will be free by the time they grow up

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

#3 is tin foil hat territory I'd say. As far as cost, remember outside of tires and brakes, your maintenance costs go down significantly. There's a few members here who gave Tesla's and can give you more information.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Do it.
    Just do it.

80% less maintenance costs, no time spent at the gas station, preheating the car on a schedule during winter, sentry mode ( plug a usb stick in and several of the cameras will record to it like a dashcam ), even without autopilot the crash avoidance technology is sick.

eg. Driver is rear ended by old lady - tesla jukes the car in front to avoid a worse accident. https://old.reddit.com/r/teslamotors...el_3_saved_me/
    Driver nearly gets sideswiped and thinks autopilot is misbehaving with lane control in the rain - when he checks the footage later he finds out it saved him from a sideswipe - https://youtu.be/uVdVuYPvQ9s?t=42

Banned.

BG Level

Lol "let him get one"
    Edit: I mean the man just earned himself 15k raise I think he should be able to do what he wants with the money without being scared to piss you off
    Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by milez View Post
    Lol "let him get one"
    Edit: I mean the man just earned himself 15k raise I think he should be able to do what he wants with the money without being scared to piss you off
    You gonna be a bad husband.

The Tesla saves you money over time, ksan. I know its said often and sounds hyperbolic, but its 100% true. Save hundreds a month in gas, no fluid changes, and "refueling" happens overnight when you're sleeping so no wasted time. It's one of the safest vehicle to be in a crash with, if you even get in that crash because the car is working so hard to prevent them. Sentry mode gives you, afaik, a 360degree dash cam for all your needs. So yeah, if you can afford the upfront cost of the vehicle, then over the course of your auto payments you'll see the savings in maintenance, and by the time its paid off you'll have saved more than the difference in price of a comparable luxury sedan. Over the life of its vehicle it'll pay for itself with the savings.

Banned.

BG Level

I been with my wife for 20 years actually....I'm just saying planning is the right thing to do but sometimes you just got to do things that make you happy and if you got to tip toe around that it builds resentment but you do you I ain't about that walking on eggshells bull if its something I really got my heart set on I go for it.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

If a new car payment, without your wife's input or knowledge, is "just something for yourself" and you dont think your wife deserves any acknowledgement in the decision then you are a bad husband lol.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    You gonna be a bad husband.

The Tesla saves you money over time, ksan. I know its said often and sounds hyperbolic, but its 100% true. Save hundreds a month in gas, no fluid changes, and "refueling" happens overnight when you're sleeping so no wasted time. It's one of the safest vehicle to be in a crash with, if you even get in that crash because the car is working so hard to prevent them. Sentry mode gives you, afaik, a 360degree dash cam for all your needs. So yeah, if you can afford the upfront cost of the vehicle, then over the course of your auto payments you'll see the savings in maintenance, and by the time its paid off you'll have saved more than the difference in price of a comparable luxury sedan. Over the life of its vehicle it'll pay for itself with the savings.

How much of a spike in your electric bill did you notice jumping to electric? I would think the money 'saved' on gas just gets offloaded onto your monthly rlectric bill. Genuinely curious about this because I've been tempted and its the only thing really holding myself back.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I dont have a Tesla, but the math all works out (except the monthly payments I cant afford ).

The standard battery atm is 220miles, which is from a 62kW battery. I pay $0.11 per kW, so that's $6.82 per complete recharge, or about $0.031 per mile.

In my current sedan, with an avg of 24mpg and gas at 2.50ish, it works out to $0.104 per mile. I'd save over 66% per mile driving a Tesla. I drive about 3-5kmiles a year, so even at the most conservative I'd saving 220ish a year in gas, up to around 365ish in savings. I imagine ksan drives more as a citizen of cali however, and I doubt gas is as low as wawa prices in Florida so the savings will add up quicker over there.

Thats not including maintenance either. Both cars need new tires so I wont include that, but as far as other maintenance goes that's about it for a Tesla. My previous car, in its life, needed about 4 or 5 batteries, 35+ oil changes, replaced engine fluids twice, I lost count of how many times I replaced the alternator and starter, and all for a car less advanced than a Tesla (as far as capabilities go).

And if that's all not good enough, the car is super safe. One of the safest on the road, just from a construction point of view. The self driving aspect helping to avoid crashes is on top of that.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Honestly with my use I'd only need to recharge once a week, and for the long drives id have to bunny hop between quick charge stations which is entirely possible for me in Florida.

Ugh...one day...one day...

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I dont have a Tesla, but the math all works out (except the monthly payments I cant affoed)
    So... then the math doesn’t check out lol. $365 in savings per year is what, $30 a month roughly. Is the difference between the estimated Tesla payment and your ICE of choice $30? Tesla lease is $399 a month I believe and that’s with other cash down factors and lease end costs. So if your ICE costs, let’s say $350 or more (to including maintenance fees) then yeah sure you’re saving money. There’s a loooot of cars you can get for under $350/mo lease. Some insanely fuel efficient ones as well.

I love cars. The only Tesla id want is the X with ludacris mode. And I wouldn’t even think of buying it to “save money” because it’s not happening.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Were not comparing Teslas to geo metros here my guy. The model 3 is a mid tier vehicle, and it is priced accordingly. 35k for an entry luxury vehicle seems about right to me. Mid 40s with upgrades is comparable to other mid sized sedans with a good trim on it.

Dont scoff at maintenance either, if you're buying the vehicle and not leasing. You're spending a lot of money over the life of the vehicle between oil changes, transmission maintenance, and all those lovely pieces and parts. Tesla is so simple that it has an extra trunk instead of an engine, which is another sell for a large family.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I'd compare a Tesla to my "realistic" dream car of a new version of my previous car which was a gs 300. A brand new one will run you 46k+, and I know I dont want the standard trim on it. A model 3 performs better, is cheaper with the upgrade packages than the gs300 is standard. You spend less on upkeep, and it can also drive itself cause of course it can.

If you can make charging it work for you, its clearly the best vehicle to get outside of just preference for the feel of ICE vehicles. Or if you want to save money on an economy vehicle.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Plus, you're driving a Tesla. You're everyone on the blocks envy.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

We should just ask ksan how much gas is and how long is the commute lol

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

someone light the Archie signal

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

We should just ask ksan how much gas is and how long is the commute lol

We go to Costco fulltime which is $3.69 today.

His daily commute is 11-17 miles (depending on whether he goes streets or highway).

Car would be used for all other outside driving except when my car (SUV) is needed for space-related situations.

We go down to SD about once a month, and that's about 119 miles, so he wants to see if we could make that.

I should also note, we aren't getting the car to save money so much as getting the car to be environmentally friendly. Comparing electrics to fuel efficient cars isn't on our priority list. Comparing electrics to other electrics is, though.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by milez View Post
    I been with my wife for 20 years actually....I'm just saying planning is the right thing to do but sometimes you just got to do things that make you happy and if you got to tip toe around that it builds resentment but you do you I ain't about that walking on eggshells bull if its something I really got my heart set on I go for it.

We've always discussed big purchases together. If he had a fit about me vetoing a car then he'd be a hypocrite as he talked me out of getting the Mazda 6 when I got my SUV (I don't resent him at all for it, we both were essentially paying for the vehicle.)

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

How much is electricity near you?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast