+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Apple stand $999     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Apple stand $999

2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Distraction from the mac pro pricing lol.

8 core xeon
    32gb ram ( I think the lower tier ones are 2666 mhz? lol ).
    256gb ssd
    amd 580x

$4k for that garbage bullshit.
    What a joke.

6k monitor. Although it doesn't come with the mac pro, it's an extra for $5k - which is dumb because dell sell an 8k monitor for $3899.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The monitor itself is actually not that bad of a price all things considering. Supposedly has better contrast and whatnot then the comparably (well, 1k or 2k less, but Apple tax) priced stuff from Dell and LG.

Of course it's also trying to fill a niche that doesn't exist (as per usual with Apple). Despite what Apple is claiming, it can't fill the role of the $40k Sony displays they're trying to compare it to because once again Apple is getting weird with the inputs. And all the big movie studios already you know... own that stuff.

I guess it can find a target for those 20 something indie filmmakers living off of their rich parents. Which I likely Apple's real market here since those are the only kind of people who would give a fuck about what kind of logo is on their studio monitor.

I think the $200 VESA adaptrr is far dumber then the $1000 stand, it's just a smaller number so people are kinda ignoring it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    which is dumb because dell sell an 8k monitor for $3899.
    That monitor doesn't have the same nit brightness as the apple 6k monitor.

Not defending the price (Because lol) but there is a difference to the monitors.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Fiye View Post
    That monitor doesn't have the same nit brightness as the apple 6k monitor.

Not defending the price (Because lol) but there is a difference to the monitors.
    Yeah it's not all terrible - the monitor is nice and there's an argument for photo work, and some weird video niches.
    The dual thunderbolt is nice for accessing thunderbolt nas for live editing networked footage/photo libraries.

The really criminal shit though - 3 case fans and the CPU cooler is passive.
    Are apple really trying to tell us this isn't going to throttle like a MFer with that setup when it's under an any kind of sustained load?

The cooling shroud also blocks part of the pcie expansion slots precluding long addin cards in the 2 higher slots.

The power supply, ram capacity, etc. make it interesting for some uses... but really...

You can buy a threadripper 2 system with more cores, ram, storage space, addin thunderbolt card and an 8k monitor for less than the price of the monitor or the base spec mac pro. The apple tax on this is ridiculous, and it's going to look even dumber when ryzen 3000 series hits next month.

Oh and bhphoto are doing the 8k monitor for $3400 ( and it includes a stand and is vesa compatible out of the box lol ).

How the fuck do you release a pro monitor and not make it vesa compatible? I have 3 monitor stands all on vesa mounts... even the weird monitors work with a $10 adapter plate. $10 for fucks sake. Apple is charging $200.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    You can buy a threadripper 2 system with more cores, ram, storage space, addin thunderbolt card and an 8k monitor for less than the price of the monitor or the base spec mac pro. The apple tax on this is ridiculous, and it's going to look even dumber when ryzen 3000 series hits next month.
    That's not what this is competing with. For the type of product it is, it's not badly priced. It's just not something a home user, hobbyist, etc should be looking at purchasing. To a fair point, it's less an Apple tax here, and more a Xeon tax. The Xeon Ws that the upcoming Mac Pro (and the iMac Pro) use start above the price point that a lot of users would consider, and skyrocket from there (the base model Mac Pro's is a $750 part, the high end one is $4500 I assume, though there's a $7500 variant). The platform to support them is, in turn, not cheap, and neither are machines based on it. The point of buying into them though, is to actually take advantage of the greater capabilities. For instance, the support for 1.5-2TB of RAM, as opposed to the 128GB that things like i9s or Threadripper tend to support.

If someone is buying that $6k SKU with any intent to use it as-is, then yeah, they bought the wrong thing. For them, you're right, they're far better off configuring up a more consumer level system. The new Mac Pro, or things it'd compete with (Dell Precision 7000s, HP Z 6 or 8, etc) are more appropriately used as a base for $10k+ workstations, likely up into the $20-30k range. In that space, maybe some of the aspects of the new design you mentioned may limit it. Maybe not. It's a massive improvement over the outgoing model either way.

I wasn't really worried about the monitors. But... 1k stand. Come the fuck on.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

The whole setup for the stands/mounts on the monitor doesn't seem justified. It's like ADC, just with even less of a purpose and even more expense. Maybe it's to give them something to "throw in free" when negotiating a contract, or create a big window for third party solutions in an attempt to popularize their quick disconnect setup. More likely just because they know people will pay it.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Apple isn't a tech company, Apple is a fashion company. What they do is not ground breaking, most of the time it's been out for months if not years. They just are marketing geniuses and have better aesthetics.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipotent View Post
    Apple isn't a tech company, Apple is a fashion company. What they do is not ground breaking, most of the time it's been out for months if not years. They just are marketing geniuses and have better aesthetics.
    amazes me that more people don't realize this

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Kinda mad it's not 1$ more for at least a round number

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Well what is equivalent to an apple pen? I lost mine through the airport security. Damn expensive apple products.