Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Riperoni, co-op is the selling point of those games for me since I play them with my brother... what a silly idea to just axe it entirely.

Champion of the House of Weave
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Unlisted video showing special skills

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I've kept up with the series over the years. I've always found the Tales series fairly generic and boring. (that's fairly unpopular I know). But that being said this looks like from the trailer, the first Tales game I WANT to play. Here's hoping to a good one.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

New trailer is giving me some Eternia and Graces vibes...so thats a positive thing instead of more Xillia or Zestiria.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Xilia made me bored out of my mind, never finished it. But Zesteria was great, thoroughly enjoyed that one. Feel like I should point out I've only ever played the entire Tales franchise (Save Symphonia) as the Co-Op partner with my older brother, so YMMV. Really liked the weapon system in Zesteria and trying to make great or busted weapons.

Loved Graces too though, never played Eternia.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Zesteria was... fine.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Zesteria was fine, but Berseria absolutely did not miss the horrid weapon synthesis horse shit. I still think Xillia/Jude was the pinnacle of the old Tales combat. I wish they'd go back to that combat style but I've pretty much accepted that they won't.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I always hear people talking about the combat, but what about the plots?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    I always hear people talking about the combat, but what about the plots?
    Nothing to write forums about..

Oh, maybe you meant "plot"? YMMV.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

My take on the plots, as someone who's played a lot of Tales games (didn't play Innocence/only got a little bit of the way into Rebirth, which supposedly has one of the best plots)

Xillia: Eh.

Xillia 2: An improvement in most respects; the individual character side story system that had going on was great (for all that people panned it; Legendia did something similar in the second half that made it better). Stuff got stupid at the end, and you had to read supplemental material to make sense of some of the crap not explicitly stated.

Graces F: Amazing combat system. Some parts of it get dark in a way that remind me of Phantasia. Also some of the most hilarious skits (Jewel Box? The Masked Barona), as well as end battle quotes.

Bersaria: About the only thing it did worse than Zestiria was the music (it wasn't bad; just sounded like baseline Sakuraba). Skits were also top notch.

Zestiria: If they deleted Rose from the plot entirely and just made it "Sorey and Mikleo's excellent adventure" then it'd be better. Re: music. If you notice some weird ups and downs with the music (like some areas sounding totally different) it's because Go Shiina did a few tracks. Which were awesome.

Eternia: It actually took me a long time to warm up to this one because I disliked the character designs at first, but it was a great game. A lot longer than I expected, too, but a fun ride. No idea what happened to my copy (well the English one; still have the Japanese one).

I mean it's easy (and damn near borderline hipster-like) to say they have cliched plots. Play enough RPGs and you see a repeating theme. If they have endearing characters or funny quirks, then it ends up being ok.

For reference for Graces:

And poor Hubert:

Vesperia was the last great, or even good, Tales game (not counting Graces F since that's a rerelease). Everything since has been bad to ok. Berseria was close, but the equipment system was terrible.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Kachiko View Post
    Nothing to write forums about..

Oh, maybe you meant "plot"? YMMV.
    No. Not anime tiddies, because any bog standard anime can churn out the fanservice. I mean actual story. Plot.

There's gotta be something beyond all the screeching combat and combo counters and girls in dresses and sword-wielding protags.

Quote Originally Posted by KuroTsuki View Post
    Vesperia was the last great, or even good, Tales game (not counting Graces F since that's a rerelease). Everything since has been bad to ok. Berseria was close, but the equipment system was terrible.
    Actually, I might bump Berseria up to "good," but I'd still say it's way below stuff like Symphonia, Abyss and Vesperia.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Abyss was truly excellent. Vesperia wasn't as good but still a great game. I've also played Symphonia, which I would put under Vesperia but definitely good.

Note: this is all in reference to the plots of each.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I watched the entirety of Berseria and enjoyed what they were putting down. I thought they did a very good job of a "win at all costs" narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    Abyss was truly excellent. Vesperia wasn't as good but still a great game. I've also played Symphonia, which I would put under Vesperia but definitely good.

Note: this is all in reference to the plots of each.

That would be my order too for those 3. Abyss >> Vesperia > Symohonia

Definitely the GOATs of Tales games.

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Vesperia is the best game to me by far, both for the characters and the combat which is greatly improved over Abyss.

However, Zestiria is at least "okay" tier for a single reason: Zaveid's theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNKeQWyrfVU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Spoiler: show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayn View Post
    My take on the plots, as someone who's played a lot of Tales games (didn't play Innocence/only got a little bit of the way into Rebirth, which supposedly has one of the best plots)

Xillia: Eh.

Xillia 2: An improvement in most respects; the individual character side story system that had going on was great (for all that people panned it; Legendia did something similar in the second half that made it better). Stuff got stupid at the end, and you had to read supplemental material to make sense of some of the crap not explicitly stated.

Graces F: Amazing combat system. Some parts of it get dark in a way that remind me of Phantasia. Also some of the most hilarious skits (Jewel Box? The Masked Barona), as well as end battle quotes.

Bersaria: About the only thing it did worse than Zestiria was the music (it wasn't bad; just sounded like baseline Sakuraba). Skits were also top notch.

Zestiria: If they deleted Rose from the plot entirely and just made it "Sorey and Mikleo's excellent adventure" then it'd be better. Re: music. If you notice some weird ups and downs with the music (like some areas sounding totally different) it's because Go Shiina did a few tracks. Which were awesome.

Eternia: It actually took me a long time to warm up to this one because I disliked the character designs at first, but it was a great game. A lot longer than I expected, too, but a fun ride. No idea what happened to my copy (well the English one; still have the Japanese one).

I mean it's easy (and damn near borderline hipster-like) to say they have cliched plots. Play enough RPGs and you see a repeating theme. If they have endearing characters or funny quirks, then it ends up being ok.

For reference for Graces:

And poor Hubert:

Graces was probably my favorite in recent memory, played the Forte edition and really enjoyed it, especially the hidden arts like the one you posted, which I found entirely by accident once which prompted a google search lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag