+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
    Caesar Salad
    BG Level

You wouldn't have access to multiplayer/gamepass if you did that, unless you went and made a whole new gaming account.

And thats assuming they cant just turn off your serial number/Mac address but I doubt thatd go that far. Canceling your game pass, which includes your multi-player access, is probably equal in threat to what cell phone companies do. Who wants to lose their gamertag cause they didnt pay 25/month?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Weltall View Post
    There is certainly some difference because the phone company will just turn off your service. The Xbox can (?) still be played, though probably only offline? I dunno, but it is interesting.
    Wouldn't surprise me if there's an account level tied with that system which requires regular online checks to simply function.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

For those in the know, the value is certainly there. But am I the only one getting Wii U vibes? Maybe I'm just old and nostalgia clouds my outlook, but I can't imagine anyone asking for the cheaper S version. Even if they don't need a 4k experience, they're going to want the more powerful X version. Naming them differently and having such a vastly different design feels like it'd create confusion for those who don't keep track of games.

If lil Timmy tells his mom he wants an Xbox X for Christmas, she goes to the store, and sees Xbox One S, Xbox Series S, Xbox One X, and Xbox Series X, would they shell out $500 for the X, or just skip out because the S isn't X and looks so differently? Would they buy another just cause it's an Xbox? Feels like a marketing nightmare to make it clear that both Series consoles play the same games. With the horror shows we see now of compatibility and massive issues with ports between the various consoles, I can't imagine the compromises or issues S would have.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

Their target audience for the S is two groups: very young kids and broke af people. "Just get them through the door" approach. Some of the "I only have a 1080 TV so I'll buy S" people may fall into the S category, but their target for them is very much the X.

The naming convention they have used is another subject, beyond fucking terrible, and anyone bothering to defend it is wild.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Malithar View Post
    With the horror shows we see now of compatibility and massive issues with ports between the various consoles, I can't imagine the compromises or issues S would have.
    The logic is that since generally speaking performance requirements scale with resolution, developers only need to design for the X at the 4k target resolution, and then simply dropping the resolution down to 1440p would provide the same performance level on the S.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

The naming convention sucks now, but if they keep it like they say they are maybe it won't be so bad by the series z or something lol

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

DF was first shown the console back in March and were given a demo unit (just the case, no innards).

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    The naming convention sucks now, but if they keep it like they say they are maybe it won't be so bad by the series z or something lol

Doesn't seem any worse (or different at all really) than Apple does with the iPhone.

BG Level

Iphone's isn't the best, but they at least went something like:

iPhone > iPhone 3 > iPhone 4 > iPhone 5 > iPhone 6 > iPhone 7 > iPhone 8 > iPhone X > iPhone 11 (+ various alternate models mashed in)

Xbox went:

Xbox > Xbox 360 > Xbox One (?) and I'm going to stop there because its already far worse than the iphone model.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Wait.. Was there no iphone 2?

BG Level

I think it went from Iphone > Iphone 3(G) because 3G was new.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Considering how much you love Street Fighter 4 it's weird you get so hung up on naming conventions

BG Level

I don't really care lol, it is just a really poor decision from such a resourceful and successful company.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

https://www.gamesradar.com/xbox-seri...ital-series-x/

Series V rumored, a digital version of the X. Microsoft does have one more Xbox in development under the codename Edinburgh.

BG Level

I think of the DEVs responded and said it isn't a console, but the V (Edinburgh) is Cloud-related and nothing that is sold to consumers.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

They really need to keep the launch simple. The naming scheme as it is will confuse the uninformed, or folks not quite understanding the lack of a disc drive on the Series S.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Has it really been that confusing?

It's the same way they've differentiated models for 4 years now

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    Has it really been that confusing?

It's the same way they've differentiated models for 4 years now
    I admit that without looking I really don't know which is the high end model. At least with PS5 I clearly know it's not a PS4. And if I want the PS5 +1 (HQ) then it's PS5 Pro or whatever if that comes along (otherwise currently I know there's just 2 versions, one digital and one that's both).

Besides, isn't this why the Wii U was a bit of a flop, since the U didn't immediately tell people it's the next big thing?

edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    Considering how much you love Street Fighter 4 it's weird you get so hung up on naming conventions
    Haha sorry I just found this funny, but then I think of Guilty Gear haha

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Did anyone know a single person who got confused when the One came out and accidentally bought a 360 instead? I mean y'all are comparing Nintendo and their overall incompetence in many areas of the business world vs you know... fucking Microsoft. They're everywhere and it's very easy for them to get the word out to people that the new shit is out.

Nintendo also did themselves no favors in the transition by continuing to manufacture the Wii after releasing the Wii U, whereas Microsoft has already stopped production of the One so that (in theory) there is only the Series S/X on shelves by November 10th.

And lastly, one is 300 dollars vs 500 dollars. If that doesn't tell you which one is the high end model you probably shouldn't be in control of your finances and in some kind of legal guardianship

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag