Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: June 2019 Version Update     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I didn't say MG was the whole kit, I said it completed the whole kit. I specifically called MG a tool.

BRD was shit and losing an entire GEO spell to haste was wasteful, BLU could walk in and cover that on their own just fine while loading out self-SC (or SCing with each other) on a WS that solidly hit for 20-25k in all content. Your response is "I didn't get invited to stuff, so not OP." The only people who don't consider BLU to have been OP at that time are people known almost exclusively for playing BLU, gee, I wonder why that is.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

imagine still talking about this

Relic Shield
    BG Level

The BLU's are both salty and in denial about how they were OP and how SE responded to it. I agree with them that it's overboard now, but they're being idiots for trying to say they were never OP. COR's and SMN's know they're OP atm, at least they'll admit it.

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Relic Shield
    BG Level

You don't need to have a 100% perfect understanding of a job to judge its impact on the rest of the community. I don't know much about SMN, I still know it's OP and broken.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I think the fact that BLU has been soft nerfed for the last few years means the burden of proof has been met. But keep being you, Spicy.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Campaign
    BG Level

I think a big part of "BLU IS OP!" thing has to be brought down to the community. It's no coincidence, most of the time it's like that. People playin this game tend to exxagerate (or simplify?) things in a dichotomic way.
    Things are either OP or they suck, you hardly find people talking about shades of gray, it's always a matter of extremes one way or another and never the infinite levels in between those extremes.
    And that's how differences which are actually not really that huge suddely become "OMG! Like night and day!"
    People always look for the simplest way to do things, once a way that's efficient is found, people tend to follow and reiterate that, instead of tryin different ways which could be pretty much equally efficient if not even better.

With that said, I think it's undeniable there has been a window of time where BLU could truly shine. Lowmen pts they could truly take advantage of their pros.
    Think about being able to ride Cocoon+Berserk, then add Nat's meditation and a Def down like that from Tenebral Crush.
    Add to that a very good WS that SCs with itself and can be spammed (CDC), the possibility to stun monsters (Sudden lunge), to remove their debuffs in AoE (Winds of promy or more), to sleep (light or dark!) monsters AoE, to dispel (light or dark!) monsters, to heal themselves in a very mp efficient way (magic fruit or others), to boost their defense for specific fights (barrier tusk, cocoon, Saline Coat), to refresh themselves (Battery charge) and, last but not least, to keep their magic haste capped (Erratic Flutter + Mighty guard, which also provides regen and MDB) and you have it.
    With such an incredibly nice synergy you could afford to use less party slots for buffers, to use their buffs for other purposes (fury/frailty, entrust whatever else) since they didn't really need haste or acc, gaining new pt slots for more BLUs rotating AoE buffs and doing more damage.
    Blah blah blah.
    These are the situations where BLU was "OP" (air quotes due), and people around these communities seem to tend to prefer lowmen content (less people to handle, easier/faster to get items for everyone, more gil if you're splitting, etc).
    After all there hardly have been a lot of large scale content over the last few years.
    It's in that type of content that BLU's "OPness" became meh. Once PT slots aren't "limited" to 6 max and you can afford to have multiple buffers to truly empower any sort of DDs, then all of the BLU's many advantages suddely become sorta irrelevant if you ask me.
    It's just that this game over the last few years didn't really see a lot of that sort of content, so it's no surprise BLU was under the spotlight.

So well, if on one hand it's clear it was the same old situation of people being sheeps and exagerating (like I mentioned before), on the other hand it's also undeniable that BLU truly made a difference in all those lowmen situations.
    I don't think the problem has the same scale of other "Job is OP!" we've seen throughout these 16+ years of FFXI history, but then again we can't really dismiss it like it was nothing special, because imo in that window of time BLU was really nice.
    If you ask me BLU is still incredibly nice for that sort of content, it's just less evident nowadays because of how the game subtly changed, one small step after another.
    BLU hardly received anything cool for a long time, whereas other jobs have been directly or indirectly buffed aplenty since then.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

The BRD buff is actually the biggest part to hurting BLU's because you can now more easily get to haste cap on any melee, and honor march and minuet gives a high base attack to then play well with fury/frailty. So BRD buff combined with a GEO largely attack and haste caps a group, and then gear acc caps. This essentially removes the OP nature that BLU had at the time. Then they tacked on no new good gear for BLU and it fell behind a little in damage(rather, it didn't go up as much as others), and the general community isn't going to care about the massive side benefits of having a good BLU around and so the job fell out of common usage. But it's undeniable that from around the time MG, or at the latest 1200 JP gift, until the BRD buff, that BLU was the king of the game. Aside from Reisen t4's, BLU was the king of all other content out there.

The biggest issue with BLU's being OP at the time, is if you brought one BLU, it's better to just bring a 2nd BLU so they can cycle MG, then you don't need to find a BRD for haste cap, so you can't haste cap any other DD, thus no other DD is going to keep up, so...bring another BLU. The job was exclusionary because of how it worked (hilarious now seeing how they implemented BLU in XIV, actually) and didn't play well with other DD's in the context of the game at the time. I would run COR during this time and I never got to be haste capped, and it sucked. But then I had 3 BLU's decimating shit for me so I guess it didn't matter.

Campaign
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kanriel View Post
    The BRD buff is actually the biggest part
    Biggest part I dunno, one of the key parts for sure.
    Together with the multiple eva nerfs they did to monsters.
    Then you have additional gear with lots of nice stats (acc, mostly) and buffs to specific jobs, weapons, WSs, blahblah.
    All of these changes one after another slowly made the "objective" differences between BLU and other DDs less and less relevant, meanwhile the "mentality" of players slowly started to change and we get back to my initial point, people being sheeps etc.
    People finally started realizing you didn't really need to go BLU or naft to clear content, and that's it.

I still think BLU has several pros over other DDs when you're in extremely small groups. It's just that such difference is much less relevant nowadays than it used to be.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sechs View Post
    I still think BLU has several pros over other DDs when you're in extremely small groups. It's just that such difference is much less relevant nowadays than it used to be.
    BLU very much still has a niche. But the general community doesn't care about niche, they care about power. Which is why they were BLU crazy for the late Adoulin / Escha era of content, as they were the most powerful.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Ownage so bad he must be a BLU.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

sounds like BLU was OP to me

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsudoku View Post
    imagine still talking about this

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

June 2019 Version Update

Quote Originally Posted by Day View Post
    sounds like BLU was OP to me
    I missed the gravy train.

BG Level

I’m bringing sexy back. Make Cannonball Great Again.

BG Level

Why are CORs doing crazy damage with savage blade and leadan salute? Why are SMNs so brain dead with 30k+ damage BPs easily even with the gimpest of gears?

NERF!

BG Level

It’s dumb as shit my 85+ mil in gear BLU barely outparses a day 2 SMN lol.