+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

And making the Ancient One Tilda Swinton was a capitulation to the Chinese market which would have banned the film if it featured a prominent Tibetan character, so absolutely a fucked up move yes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

She killed it in that role though. Much like Hitler constructing the autobahn, sometimes morally bad decisions can lead to something good.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    Ok but being an African King is literally an unshakable part of T'Challa's character the same way being a white kid who was lost in a hidden martial arts city is part of Iron Fist's and having pale skin was Snow White's. There are characters for whom race is an immutable, intrinsic aspect of their history and the Little Mermaid is not one of them. If they called it The Little Mermaid and were like "surprise! Ariel is a centaur now" there'd be an issue but the color of a fish person's skin is unlikely to make any difference to their character.

This is an acceptable answer to me. Though I wish everyone followed it. Side note: Can we talk about how living far under the ocean would make developing Black Skin Pigment as humans did basically impossible tho? checkmate.

Edit: Devils Advocate here - King Triton is based on a character from Greek Mythology, and would almost certainly have been white. Now we're blackwashing Greek Mythology smh

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

black people can't swim though so this is gonna have to be a short movie

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    This is an acceptable answer to me. Though I wish everyone followed it.

Side note: Can we talk about how living far under the ocean would make developing Black Skin Pigment as humans did basically impossible tho? checkmate.
    Why would fish people have the same evolutionary traits as people, maybe being harder to see in the dark is an advantageous trait to them. Or maybe fish people live in tropical climates and stay close to the surface, which still lets UV-B radiation through up to a depth of several meters.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Why would fish people have the same evolutionary traits as people, maybe being harder to see in the dark is an advantageous trait to them. Or maybe fish people live in tropical climates and stay close to the surface, which still lets UV-B radiation through up to a depth of several meters.

They almost absolutely wouldn't, I'm starting to think ancient humans maybe didn't think this mermaid thing all the way through.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by gaira View Post
    black people can't swim though so this is gonna have to be a short movie

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    I never understood why they have to touch established characters instead of just creating new characters if its a race thing. I think tons of people would be outraged if something like Black Panther, was changed to all white people? Or how the Dr. Strange ancient one was a white woman, people raged about it. So what makes this okay? Or any of the other examples of changing established characters (Heromione, Fantastic Four, etc.)
    So here's a couple of things outside of what was mentioned regarding stuff like the black panther.

1. Thinking this is touching an established character strictly over skin color is dumb af. Being that specific on skin tone is insane. Like they could do a shot for shot adaptation but they messed with the character because she's now black? really?

2. Movies are an extension of theater and theater never cared about this shit. Women play male characters, male play women characters, different ethnicities play even historical figures (hi2u Hamilton, which while amazing, is hardly the first time a black man has played a white historical figure). You mentioned Hermione, well, the stage play has her played by a black actress. I wish we got back to that idea.

3. To me, in a perfect world, actors would constantly play other races, sexes, etc. etc. because the whole point of acting (to an actor that is) is to play something you are not. I do worry that we are trying to pigeon hole people into playing their race. This includes saying Asian characters should be played by Asians; however, I am not ignorant to the fact that situations such as Black Panther the issue is representation. We're not at the point where white people can play black characters, because the playing field isn't remotely leveled yet. So I see why we want more of that (for a long time probably) first before we could ease up on it.

And lastly: I post this all the time, but whenever you think people shouldn't touch the source/established characters, and that canon is so important, remember this: Red was an Irishman. He got the name for his flaming red hair. And they picked the absolute best man for the role. So to those who are so worried about her skin color, I say:

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

When you change a characters appearance, yes you are changing them. Most people grew up with the cartoon version of the movie, so when they saw a live action they didn't expect her to be changed so drastically. When I see an adaptation of something like a video game or cartoon, i personally like to it it faithful to the original.

Movies are a lot different than theater. In fact, in many movies and in sequels they try to get people who appear very close to their source material or hell even kids to look like their parents. There is a stronger realism aspect and people critique the choices these movies make for actors so that they look like the source material. I remember for an example, the X-men being critiqued as if they look similar to their comic counterparts.

I brought up Hermoine because its an example of changing an established character. It just seems to cause an outrage if its done by any white person, but never in reverse (its celebrated then.) So when all the people praised Hamilton for changing the race, why didn't they praise Tilda for being the ancient one?

We're not at the point where white people can play black characters, because the playing field isn't remotely leveled yet. So I see why we want more of that (for a long time probably) first before we could ease up on it.
    That's my whole point. Why is that fair? Why does it even need to be a thing? Just create more black characters or movies (some of which are already being done and successful like Get out or the horror one recently.) Why changed established characters just to create a stir, seems silly. I honestly would be disapointed if they changed Black Panther to feature all white guys, because it isn't in the source material.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

"To me, in a perfect world, actors would constantly play other races, sexes, etc. etc. because the whole point of acting (to an actor that is) is to play something you are not. ! ExceptWhitePeoplelol"
    Well I mean I'm okay with this portrayal of Ariel like 100% do not care, but I appreciate the laugh.

Edit: I mean if ya'll want Blaxploitation back sign me up

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

They 100% should've cast a real fish for this. Casting a human to play a half-human is clearly a middle finger to all aquatic craniates out there. Disgusting.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Thats the argument they're trying to hide from us

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    When you change a characters appearance, yes you are changing them. Most people grew up with the cartoon version of the movie, so when they saw a live action they didn't expect her to be changed so drastically. When I see an adaptation of something like a video game or cartoon, i personally like to it it faithful to the original.
    Why does this adaptation need to be for old people? Why can't it instead be for attracting new generations? This film isn't for you.

Movies are a lot different than theater. In fact, in many movies and in sequels they try to get people who appear very close to their source material or hell even kids to look like their parents. There is a stronger realism aspect and people critique the choices these movies make for actors so that they look like the source material. I remember for an example, the X-men being critiqued as if they look similar to their comic counterparts.
    Yes, but it doesn't have to be.

I brought up Hermoine because its an example of changing an established character. It just seems to cause an outrage if its done by any white person, but never in reverse (its celebrated then.) So when all the people praised Hamilton for changing the race, why didn't they praise Tilda for being the ancient one?
    Because a. it's theater and b. it's about representation.

Why is that fair? Why does it even need to be a thing?
    Because we can't change our history. Because people our age never got a black princess when they were a little girl, so time to fix that for future girls. Because we care a little bit more about making it better than "mah immersions."

Just create more black characters or movies (some of which are already being done and successful like Get out or the horror one recently.)
    We are. But there's nothing wrong with doing both.

Why changed established characters just to create a stir, seems silly.
    The people who are creating the stir, are people that hollywood probably doesn't care enough about (outside of free advertisement). And they don't have to cater to them.

Face it, movies based on kids cartoons aren't for old people.

I have watched several of these remakes, and while I have in my head "I like the original more", guess who doesn't agree? My kids. Guess what? That's fucking awesome 'cause that means we each have a version we enjoy.

BG Level

What the eff are you on about Draylo

In the original book the mermaid is green and is a metaphor for Anderson's forbidden bisexual love of another man.

Make a solid case for ONE THING about the story from the Disney movie that changes if Ariel is played by a black actress instead of a white one.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Well I mean I'm okay with this portrayal of Ariel like 100% do not care, but I appreciate the laugh.

Edit: I mean if ya'll want Blaxploitation back sign me up
    Oh noes, won't someone think of the white people?

We are all going away, anyway. Don't fight it, just be like me and help make it happen.

BG Level

Smdh Brandy played Cinderella and everyone was fine with that but Draylo is upset about a fucking fish.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Honestly It'd be kinda fun helping it happen just so I can watch the third world shithole the world would quickly become, sadly I won't live long enough to see it, so I just wanna resist. But thats off topic, next time I visit Clown World we can throw poop at eachother over this.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

now that's what i call yikes volume 5

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Honestly It'd be kinda fun helping it happen just so I can watch the third world shithole the world would quickly become,
    I have never seen any post more racist than this one.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Smdh Brandy played Cinderella and everyone was fine with that but Draylo is upset about a fucking fish.

This meme is floating around, too, and it's so true:

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag