Closed Thread
Page 37 of 151 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 87 ... LastLast
    TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level

I think the difference in feed accounts for a lot of the taste, e.i in eastern Europe pork is wheat/barley fed. Plus until recently US had temperature requirements for pork, so unless you cooked it yourself it was gonna be well done.

Quote Originally Posted by guartz View Post
    I think the difference in feed accounts for a lot of the taste, e.i in eastern Europe pork is wheat/barley fed. Plus until recently US had temperature requirements for pork, so unless you cooked it yourself it was gonna be well done.
    Decent restaurants will ask you how you want it cooked.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Feed does change taste (grass fed beef vs. corn/wheat) but in addition American pork is relatively low fat with low marbling in an attempt to make it healthier; the fat is pretty much limited to fatty layers. It's like the exact opposite of wagyu where we attempt to increase the marbling. Pork is the meat that tastes the most different overseas, but all meat definitely does taste different as a result of efficient factory farming processes.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Couldnt disagree more. Grass fed cow tastes ever so slightly different than grain.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

I've never understood why so many people say they prefer grass fed cows while also complaining that things like rabbit and duck are too gamey..

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I dont have a preference but I have tasted a difference. Venison and Bison have an odd flavor and texture for me, but I haven't tried it enough to label it as "gamey" cause honestly I'm not even sure if that sensation is what they call gamey lol

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

you have to make adjustments when cooking bison if you're used to cooking beef. it's so low fat, you'll need to add oil/butter/whatever to the pan (if you're using a pan), for instance.

most people just dunno how to cook pork, especially if they're fucking old. i was making my smoked chops (i have an amazing butcher shop at the corner, walking distance), big beautiful 2" cuts while my daughter was over. told her i'd make her one and she turned her nose up at it. said she couldn't stand pork. this was a shock to me, because she's a fucking carnivore. i convinced her to try it, her eyes about came out of her skull when she dug in. issue was that she had never had it cooked by someone that wasn't under 60, that didn't cook a pork chop like it was old leather. go figure. the grand parents she had been staying with can't cook for shit.

pork is versatile, and good pork chops are amazing. if you guys are meat eaters and you don't dig on pork chops, you may want to look at a better butcher or something. i like to play with mine because i eat them so often. right now i'm doing something similar to the dry rub i use on my ribs so it has a little heat, on the smoker about an hour until 120F ish, then finish on the cast iron with butter a minute and a half per side. make sure to sear the fat on the edge too.

if you like it simple, it really doesn't need any different treatment than a nice steak. get a thick cut, salt/pepper/garlic, cook it just on the other side of medium rare.

edit: i haven't used venison as anything other than chili or stew in forever. my grandfather used to do fried cutlets but honestly i never cared for them.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

"Gamey" flavor is how I would describe lamb vs. beef. I personally enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Couldnt disagree more. Grass fed cow tastes ever so slightly different than grain.

I can taste the difference but it's not nearly enough to make me pay the premium for grass fed. I'm just saying it's there. But it's relatively minor, for pork, in comparison to the taste difference that just results from low fat content

https://www.wsj.com/articles/another...con-1501256000

The problem is most pronounced with leaner cuts like chops.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Venison is also super lean so you need to add fat.

I've made venison burgers. I mix in ground pork to add fat without overpowering the flavor of the venison itself.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Imma try that oil with the bison. I had burgers with them once and they were alright, tried meatballs another time and it was terrible, but I didnt use fat for the meatballs so that might have been it.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    "Gamey" flavor is how I would describe lamb vs. beef. I personally enjoy it

I can taste the difference but it's not nearly enough to make me pay the premium for grass fed. I'm just saying it's there. But it's relatively minor, for pork, in comparison to the taste difference that just results from low fat content

https://www.wsj.com/articles/another...con-1501256000
    Oh fuck no it is not worth the premium. I'm just saying it's like sunglasses, theres a difference in quality but idk if that premium is worth it for 90% of people.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

I can't say for sure, partially cause I'll eat just about anything and have never had a problem with any type of meat, but I've always assumed that gamey complaint was due to the meats being leaner.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

I used to dislike lamb, then I tried Fogo de Chao's lamb with their house rub.... amazing!

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    I used to dislike lamb, then I tried Fogo de Chao's lamb with their house rub.... amazing!
    oh I'm from Azeri descent, lamb is all about how you prepare it. Something magical happens with simplest alterations. Get a lamb rib rack, separate 'em into chops and fry them in a iron skillet with butter and tomatoes, no seasoning necessary. Acid from tomatoes and fat from butter will make lamb taste like nirvana. Peasant food? Sure. but god it's good for the soul.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Ugh, lamb is just too gamey for me.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

oh I'm from Azeri descent, lamb is all about how you prepare it. Something magical happens with simplest alterations. Get a lamb rib rack, separate 'em into chops and fry them in a iron skillet with butter and tomatoes, no seasoning necessary. Acid from tomatoes and fat from butter will make lamb taste like nirvana. Peasant food? Sure. but god it's good for the soul.
    Not even salt? What?

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level

Try it. Butter and tomatoes.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Not even salt? What?

Can always salt after to taste, but also remember butter's got salt.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Only if you salt it!

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

You use salted butter whyyyy

Not that it's bad just less useful. Can salt your unsalted butter, but when the recipie calls for unsalted butter you're fucked

Closed Thread
Page 37 of 151 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 87 ... LastLast