Thread: Ram stick died     submit to reddit submit to twitter

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Ram stick died

One of my ram sticks took a shit monday night, and I was getting BSOD all evening Tuesday. Ran a mem test this morning, and it immediately said theres an issue, at like 1% lol. When I got home from work, I got to test if its the memory channel or just the stick. Fortunately, its just the stick.

Heres what I previously had, and my store doesnt sell it in 8x1.

Should I either get a replacement 8x1 of the same speed and almost same latency ($50) or get another set of 8x2 and pair those up and use the other single channel ($90)? From my understanding, there shouldnt be any issues of just buying another stick though.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

RAM always runs faster in dual channel. Unless you actually need more RAM (probably not) or have a channel enabled board, it is better to stay with two sticks than three.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

That series of RAM has a limited lifetime warranty on it, so you should be able to get a matched replacement 8GB stick for $0. I had a similar failure years ago with a Corsair DIMM, and they got it sorted with no fuss.
    What I did at the time was buy a second pair of DIMMs and used those in the interim, and ultimately both sets once I got the replacement in.

That said, if you can't RMA it for some reason, you should be able to pair it with a different stick, provided both still meet the requirements for your mobo/etc. The main thing with mixing RAM is that it all has to run at the same settings. It's not typically a problem if you're running at stock or relatively conservative settings, but may be limiting if you're really trying to push things.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I put in a RMA request with G.Skill and will being the dead ram to the store I bought it too to see if they have a way to expedite the process.

I dont want to play any games on my PC with 8GB of ram though. If I wanted to play a game that looks like minecraft, I'd play minecraft.