+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Challenge 34: War of the Worlds 2

The cast members are a lot more athletic and focused on the challenges themselves now. Versus the earlier seasons where it was more akin to a summer camp with booze and the occasional team activities.

I also bet MTV is being hyper vigilant in making sure not to showcase and enable someone who’s clearly an alcoholic, i.e. Tonya; discourage and condemn bullying when it used to be the norm; and begin to intervene immediately with security when there’s a chance of a physical altercation.

We’ll probably never see the Eric and Kenny’s of the world type as new cast members on the challenge ever again.

BG Level

That's true, and the thing is that once they hiked up the prize money and started doing stuff like "only the winner gets any", there's probably no going back. Now, I'm not saying I'd want them to go the whole way, but I'd definitely prefer something that at least somewhat leans towards the old seasons. That's not just nostalgia glasses. It would probably be easier to toughen up the old way of things than it would to have things lighten up now.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I never look at spoilers for eliminations or winners for next season, because that's dull as fuck, but I do look up the casting, looks like 28 have been confirmed in this Reddit thread..

Spoiler: show
    You know what excites me about this? No Cara Maria or Paulie. Tori Hall is an interesting and surprising return. Looking forward to having Melissa back.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    I never look at spoilers for eliminations or winners for next season, because that's dull as fuck, but I do look up the casting, looks like 28 have been confirmed in this Reddit thread..

You know what excites me about this? No Cara Maria or Paulie. Tori Hall is an interesting and surprising return. Looking forward to having Melissa back.
    Cast looks excellent. Fuck yeah at the first sentence of your spoiler.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BG Level

All 3 parts of your spoiler are surprising to me.

Looking at the list
    are they going to have a team of people who have been kicked off shows? Seems like there's quite a lot on that cast list.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I feel like no matter who wins, members of the minority alliance seem to be getting voted in on both sides, regardless of the outcome of the elimination.

Turbo's leaving was a surprise. I wonder if he's going to be a sitting duck in future Challengers - manipulating him is ridiculously easy. As Zach said, he's a slightly evolved cave man.

Kayleigh's smug smile when Georgia got voted in really rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. Not sure why - it's pretty standard challenge fare.

Scoring:
    Vil 730 5
    Moss 695 3
    Byrd 520 2
    Valisk 490 3
    Headspace 450 3
    Xno Kappa 445 2
    UFA 5 0

Scoring Notes:
    Nany yelling at people during Turbo's fight and nominations (5)
    Nany crying (5)
    Turbo kicked out due to bad behavior (75)
    Jenny blurcled top during mud wrestling (5)
    UK wins challenge. (10)
    TJ said the Brits killed it. (20)
    Leroy yelling at Nany (5)
    Georgia crying (5)
    Tori wins elimination (15)
    Tori defects (15)

Player Standings:
    Turbo 210 BYRD HOME
    Georgia 170 MOSS HOME
    Josh 170 VIL GAME
    Dee 165 MOSS GAME
    Jordan 160 HEAD GAME
    Paulie 160 VIL GAME
    Theo 160 XNO GAME
    Rogan 150 MOSS GAME
    Tori 160 MOSS GAME
    Kam 140 XNO GAME
    Jennifer 135 VIL GAME
    Nany 135 BYRD GAME
    Natalie 135 VALISK GAME
    Zach 135 VIL GAME
    Cara Maria 130 VIL GAME
    Leroy 130 VALISK GAME
    Ashley 125 BYRD GAME
    CT 110 VALISK GAME
    Joss 105 HEAD GAME
    Kayleigh 100 HEAD GAME
    Bear 90 XNO HOME
    Idris 65 VALISK HOME
    Esther 60 XNO HOME
    Bananas 50 VALISK HOME
    Laurel 50 MOSS HOME
    Kyle 45 BYRD HOME
    Wes 45 HEAD HOME
    Nicole 40 HEAD HOME
    Faith 5 UFA HOME
    Tula 5 BYRD HOME
    Zahida 5 XNO HOME
    Sean 0 XNO HOME

BG Level

Man, I remember when Mr Irrelevant Josh had a nice padding on our fantasy points lead. Now he's been caught or passed by two eliminated people in the same episode! Ok, obviously Turbo would jump ahead, but I didn't pay attention and realize that Georgia was kind of quietly creeping to the top of the fantasy points.

At least they had "some" transparency with the Turbo boot. Saying that he and Jordan had been given their one warning... and I guess Paulie and Josh got one too, or maybe TJ was just telling them to watch themselves in general. There's still that grey area where you question if production steps in, and if they need a talk after or just need separated in the moment, but they were at least clearer than they may have been in the past.

It's been two seasons of Georgia and I'm really not sure what I think of her. She's a good competitor, but I'm not sure if she's great. She cries a lot but I swear I question if some of it has to be an act because she is constantly setting herself up for heartbreak. Not even talking about the romance side, but considering how fast people were shutting down Jenny wanting to be speaker, I'm shocked that she could be so confident that all is well. I know Theo was fuming too, but I think there's a slight difference. She absolutely believes that the rest of the team would be true to their word, while Theo probably only hopes they would.

Nothing wrong for that way you feel about Kayleigh. The difference is that people that get a pass for that stuff usually have had some success in the past or show potential. If those girls didn't throw her suitcase over the balcony, would she have even got a second season, let alone stay after her partner got the boot? The way she went to Joss about voting Georgia was just bizarre though. I know it seems like he doesn't want to get too tangled in all that BS, but this is a situation where he's the swing vote and you just say "ok, we're voting Georgia". Not talking to him about what would happen if Tori came over or even asking what he'd think about voting Georgia. Just basically saying it to the swing vote like a fait accompli.

Have they done an elimination like that before? It seemed somewhat familiar and is a cool concept.

BG Level

I thought throwing in Georgia was brilliant and completely undermined Tori’s threat to turncoat and start some kind of rebellion lmao.

Sucks that Turbo’s gone but the dude is just too easy too manipulate. This would’ve been awesome in the old seasons though and we probably would’ve gotten to see him cave in Jordan’s face.

BG Level

Everyone knows what would have happened. She'd go to CT and say "Hey CT, you're their 5th wheel, come join us. We'll all be equal." Reality is that he'd just be the 5th wheel over there (though 2nd instead of 3rd male), and piss off the tribunal who might retaliate and send CT into elimination to punish him or to try to protect Rogan or Joss. That doesn't seem like something he'd try, and US could just throw challenges if they need to spare him.

That alliance has had such a big majority for weeks so this was just more cushion that they really didn't need, and for Kayleigh it gets someone who was after her off her back. That's about it. Yay for "big movez" for tv. Maybe she'll get a call for another season where she can be a weak competitor with occasional snarky confessionals but be ignored for 80% of the season. Congrats on basically being Jemmye of Wales.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

I truly don’t understand the logic that the Brits have with working with the opposite team now that there’s 4 of each sex left. Having the alliance on the other side helps them possibly GET to the final, but unless there’s a shake up in how the final is run (no longer team vs team) then that alliance isn’t going to do jack shit when it comes time to run the final.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Headspace View Post
    I truly don’t understand the logic that the Brits have with working with the opposite team now that there’s 4 of each sex left. Having the alliance on the other side helps them possibly GET to the final, but unless there’s a shake up in how the final is run (no longer team vs team) then that alliance isn’t going to do jack shit when it comes time to run the final.
    It's weak logic because they're manipulating the likes of Rogan (dumb, challenge noob), Joss (dumb?), Dee (dumb, friends with ninja), and Kayleigh (incredibly weak). The previous eliminations like Idris were weak noobs too that just jumped at the chance to be in an alliance. Kayleigh is the only one that really stands to gain since her only value is as a vote, and for the US as an anchor for the Brit team. To your point, I have no idea what the likes of Joss and Rogan expect to happen during the final if Kayleigh is still on the team.

I give Laurel credit for taking a big shot early, she was the true visionary. It might not be sexy to go out that early but she took a shot at that big alliance in the hopes of evening things. We might be had a much more interesting season if she had won that elimination.

It's just like how everyone would basically fall in line behind bananas back in his heyday. New people were always too scared to stand up to him, now it's the same thing except it's to Paulie and Cara.

I think there were a lot of good ideas for the mechanics of this season in theory but in practice it's a load of garbage. Like someone else posted, the day to day challenge is almost meaningless because the alliance is spread across both teams. We would've had the exact same matchup if the US had won.

The other misfire is that because of this setup, that house is about as toxic as I can ever remember. Some drama is necessary to keep the show entertaining but for me it's well past the point of being enjoyable and everyone just hates each other. I think the show is much better when you have little individual vendettas spread throughout but some general team unifiers. Not so with this challenge.

Ultimately I like seeing the best people compete in the final. Politicking is great but historically the best politickers (Wes, Johnny) were also strong competitors. This is... not that. I think I'll rewatch the episode of Paulie failing right before the final last year and Cara failing during the final as a palate cleanser.

BG Level

To be fair to Kayleigh, I do think that she's playing a very good game and is a big part of the relative success of the overlapping group as she's kind of a bridge between the teams. The issue is that it's an uneven partnership between sides and the UK side is being treated as junior partners. When Rogan says things like "I'm not making moves for Paulie, I'm making moves with him" it's true, but the partnership has felt like it's at best 60-40. But Team US wins everything, maybe they should feel like they're getting more! Aren't the people in the minority on the US side the ones that are consistently the stars of these challenges? Jordan and Zach have been two frequent standouts pointed out by TJ at least.

Is there a way that the UK team can cut Kayleigh and not have the US team turn on them? Considering these idiots fumed about them allowing Esther to volunteer, I'd think they'd take this more personally. Forget that it was the UK tribunal that sent Laurel in and saved that side of Team US. Forget that after that, they allowed a tribunal that voted in Joss.

GATTACA!

BG Level

You'll note I didn't call her stupid, Kayleigh has played a smart game. Also forgot to mention she's friends with Kam.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Lmfao I'm at a fancy gym in SF and Tyrie Ballard is here. Walked up to a rando and asked to use his clamps, and Tyrie was his trainer

BG Level

Sledgehammer eliminations in this series are like 95% technique. Good move picking Jordan, fools.

What a frustrating episode. There was no doubt after last week that this would be the elimination matchup no matter what happened. Then next week, I'll be shocked if it's not 2 out of Nany/Jenny/Tori. In this case, the challenge may actually matter because US probably doesn't want to lose their buffer yet. People on the UK team were talking like there might be just one more round, and then a double or something so hopefully it's nearing the end.

I said some time last season that Cara's got to be the most miserable person to be around on this show and the last 5 minutes of the episode prove that again. Zach said something during the episode, and while he's a dick about the way he says basically everything, he did have a point. The channel guide said something about Tori/Jordan's relationship, but I wouldn't have expected that.

Theo probably should have switched when he had the chance, but I'm not sure it would have really been better result. The only difference is he probably wouldn't at least sort of get his hopes up. The team did vote Kyle over him, though that was probably with the understanding that US would vote Theo in after. He did well individually, but what a rough season this was for him and his group.

I don't like Rogan, but shoutout to him for at least admitting what kind of crap game they're playing, considering they've got useless Kayleigh being absolutely no help in challenges. Still frustrating that someone takes himself and another out of the challenge so early and it's pointless to even try to consider the guy.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I worked up the spreadsheet last night, but completely forgot to write it up and send it out. I'll do that when I get home tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Vil View Post
    Sledgehammer eliminations in this series are like 95% technique. Good move picking Jordan, fools.
    I actually thought this might be a good idea given Jordan's hand situation. I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Vil
    What a frustrating episode. There was no doubt after last week that this would be the elimination matchup no matter what happened. Then next week, I'll be shocked if it's not 2 out of Nany/Jenny/Tori.
    Pretty much. I don't see anyone else going in until two of these people are gone. I suppose that is one of the drawbacks of team seasons - everything gets really predictable. I would also rather see a full team vote as opposed to a tribunal. You might think that having a tribunal increases the chances of something weird happening, but it really doesn't since everyone votes on the tribunal anyway. Why have two votes when one vote will do?

I said some time last season that Cara's got to be the most miserable person to be around on this show and the last 5 minutes of the episode prove that again.
    That was awful. Many of the people who start out on this show as likable underdogs turn into unsympathetic narcissists as their Challenge career goes on, and she's amongst the most egregious. Even Paulie called her out on it, which made me like him slightly more. Cara Maria has definitely lived long enough to become the villain.

I don't like Rogan, but shoutout to him for at least admitting what kind of crap game they're playing, considering they've got useless Kayleigh being absolutely no help in challenges. Still frustrating that someone takes himself and another out of the challenge so early and it's pointless to even try to consider the guy.
    Rogan seems self-aware, although unapologetically so; I can handle him. Although I feel like he talks an awful lot about having proved himself when he hasn't been in an elimination yet. I think the Brits in the majority alliance are doing a great job of getting themselves to the final, but they're playing right into the Americans' hands of getting rid of their best players so they have no chance to win in a final against the US team. If Jenny and Tori are really their next female targets, good luck in the final, my dudes.

I wonder if we'll see the stronger Brits actually trying to get into elimination at the end of the season in order to be able to switch sides and join the winning side. That seems like something that very well might work. If you're Joss or Rogan right now, and you end up going in against, say, Josh, and win - why wouldn't you switch sides?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Not much scoring this week, mostly just competition related. Josh didn't have a breakdown this week, and Georgia went home, so minimal tears.

Standings & Scores:

Vil 785 5
    Moss 715 3
    Byrd 555 2
    Valisk 525 3
    Headspace 505 3
    Xno Kappa 460 1
    UFA 5 0

Scoring Notes:
    US wins challenge (10)
    Nany crying (5)
    Jordan wins eliminatIon (15)
    CP: Jordan (10) proposes to Tori (5), who accepted
    CP: Jordan switches sides (5)

Scores to Date:
    Turbo 210 BYRD HOME
    Jordan 205 HEAD GAME
    Josh 185 VIL GAME
    Paulie 175 VIL GAME
    Dee 170 MOSS GAME
    Georgia 170 MOSS HOME
    Tori 170 MOSS GAME
    Theo 160 XNO HOME
    Kam 155 XNO GAME
    Nany 155 BYRD GAME
    Rogan 155 MOSS GAME
    Natalie 150 VALISK GAME
    Cara Maria 145 VIL GAME
    Leroy 145 VALISK GAME
    Ashley 140 BYRD GAME
    Jennifer 140 VIL GAME
    Zach 140 VIL GAME
    CT 115 VALISK GAME
    Joss 110 HEAD GAME
    Kayleigh 105 HEAD GAME
    Bear 90 XNO HOME
    Idris 65 VALISK HOME
    Esther 60 XNO HOME
    Bananas 50 VALISK HOME
    Laurel 50 MOSS HOME
    Kyle 45 BYRD HOME
    Wes 45 HEAD HOME
    Nicole 40 HEAD HOME
    Faith 5 UFA HOME
    Tula 5 BYRD HOME
    Zahida 5 XNO HOME
    Sean 0 XNO HOME

BG Level

Cara just seems like a genuinely terrible human being. Other people you at least get somewhat an impression of being a good person outside the cameras. Fucking with Josh on the vote though did give me a chuckle lol.

Also, anyone else felt Nany got a weird amount of camera time this episode considering she really hasn’t done anything all season? I was half expecting her to get kicked/leave before it was all over.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    Cara just seems like a genuinely terrible human being. Other people you at least get somewhat an impression of being a good person outside the cameras. Fucking with Josh on the vote though did give me a chuckle lol.
    I was hoping TJ would hold her to it, and then make someone from the tribunal go in for forcing a tie. Imagine the bullshit that would have happened had Paulie ended up getting forced into the tribunal because Cara Maria was trying to be funny and teach Josh a lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa
    Also, anyone else felt Nany got a weird amount of camera time this episode considering she really hasn’t done anything all season? I was half expecting her to get kicked/leave before it was all over.
    I noticed that too. For someone who has had very little impact on the game this season, and hasn't had a strong story beyond her conflict with Leroy, she is sure getting a lot of screen time; this episode was no different.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Regarding the mention of Jordan's hand and it's effect on the hammer challenge - how about the fact that he still did well in the rock climbing?! That's insane! I go to a climbing gym and every freaking finger is paramount to your grip and this dude has zero on that hand. Impressive stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    I was hoping TJ would hold her to it, and then make someone from the tribunal go in for forcing a tie. Imagine the bullshit that would have happened had Paulie ended up getting forced into the tribunal because Cara Maria was trying to be funny and teach Josh a lesson.
    I'm biased because I hate her guts but that was some bullshit. Since when are you allowed to do a "joke" vote and then take it back? It's common for the voters to think out loud and say "hmmm I think I'd like to put Josh in now" but never a flat out "Josh." vote and then "loljk" 5 minutes later

Talking it out, I guess technically the next step is TJ says "does anyone want to change their vote" when there is a tie like that. Still lame as fuck and still Cara is the worst.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast