Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

If you feel like sitting through 20 minutes this video will explain it far better then I could.

Its frankly bullshit that fair use is structured this way but yeah no matter how much people on the internet will fuss otherwise abridge content doesn't fall under fair use.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbeansman View Post
    Except its not enough to just claim your doing a parody you have actively be commenting on the work itself while using only enough of the material to make your point. Weird Al has this weird thing going where some of his songs legit fall under fair use and others don't and he's actually had to pull back before under label pressure.
    And if he was willing to spend the money, he'd win. It's been established many times team four star falls under it. If YouTube wasn't so shitty they wouldn't have as many take downs because as of right now, you don't even need to be a copyright holder to issue a takedown.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Since I don't think you read the link, this is straight from the Stanford law page concerning fair use

A parody is a work that ridicules another, usually well-known work, by imitating it in a comic way. Judges understand that, by its nature, parody demands some taking from the original work being parodied. Unlike other forms of fair use, a fairly extensive use of the original work is permitted in a parody in order to “conjure up” the original.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fiye View Post
    Unless Chris Sabat is violating his contract with Funimation its not.
    Well I meant a moral problem, not a legal problem. Because it's animu so who cares. Japan might care if Japan was paying attention though.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'd hardly call a cartoon character making a purposefully silly political ad a moral problem.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

You'd figure people would have more of a moral problem with that long audio skit he made, featuring the dragon ball characters he voiced raping each other in the ass, with references to pedophilia and incest.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Considering that was friends making jokes about cartoon characters? Nope. Its not like they were promoting rape or targeting someone real.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Not talking about the ones that were spur of the moment jokes during voice recordings. Chris sabat put together like a 5 minute solo production of the characters he voices fucking each other, complete with sound effects, official music from the show, one of them talking about raping his child son. It's just bizarre.

Spoiler: show
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFJr0qj7_Jk
    starting from a minute in if you really want to listen to it

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

I'll admit that did give me a bit of a chuckle, especially when Yamcha thought he could finally kick ass.

Remaining legal issues were dismissed with prejudice. So, justice is served or the legal system is broken.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

And rekieta got himself banned from twitter after a rant after mediation fell through.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    Remaining legal issues were dismissed with prejudice. So, justice is served or the legal system is broken.
    The judge did seem rather incompetent and didn't seem to care either way so I do expect appeals to happen. So I expect this to get revived in 6-9 months.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    The judge did seem rather incompetent and didn't seem to care either way so I do expect appeals to happen. So I expect this to get revived in 6-9 months.
    They would be actually retarded to keep this going with an appeal suit.

Edit: From a legal 'We're trying to win this case' standpoint. From a 'We're going to keep fund raising money on GFM because these idiots will keep the grift going' its probably the smart move as long as they don't care about how much damage they're going to incur on Vic personally.

Edit: Actual document.

https://www.scribd.com/document/4287...ge-Chupp-Order

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Ty Beard has already more or less confirmed that they're going in to appeals. Right now the consensus is that the judge didn't want to deal with or read a 1000+ page document and just dismissed the case to pass it off to another Judge. As it stands a lot of evidence (including first party admissions by Toye et al) were ignored entirely in the dismissal.

BG Level

Yeah that's the part is why I think the judge was incompetent. There are texts showing Ron interfering with Vic's contract for KhameaCon and the head of the con even admitted they brought Vic back under the circumstance he pays out of his own pocket for his own room/security. That should be a clear sign the judge gave zero fucks.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    Ty Beard has already more or less confirmed that they're going in to appeals. Right now the consensus is that the judge didn't want to deal with or read a 1000+ page document and just dismissed the case to pass it off to another Judge. As it stands a lot of evidence (including first party admissions by Toye et al) were ignored entirely in the dismissal.
    You're eating some grade A horseshit if you legitimately believe that. You understand that since this was filed in Texas its applicable to Texas Anti-SLAPP law which acts as a go or no go test to see if there are even grounds for the lawsuit to go on. Ty Beard submitted a 1,000 page document and couldn't direct the Judges attention to substantial portions to even prevent the court from just throwing out the accusations Vic was levying. If Ty Beard couldn't do that then either he needed to shorten his document to the sweet and juicy (Or maybe include some references in his disposition or something) bits that would make his case even the slightly bit meritious.

Or you could be a complete fucking asshat and decide its the judge who's retarded not the guy who has to bring evidence to assert his accusations.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    Yeah that's the part is why I think the judge was incompetent. There are texts showing Ron interfering with Vic's contract for KhameaCon and the head of the con even admitted they brought Vic back under the circumstance he pays out of his own pocket for his own room/security. That should be a clear sign the judge gave zero fucks.
    This is a straw man argument that doesn't even handle its own weight. Were those text messages included in the case? What damages were caused to Vic because of this situation. How does this contribute to conspiracy to continue to defame Vic?

You're literally alleging because of one anecdote that the judge (Who is barred and managed to get his ass elected) is incompetent instead of realizing that Ty Beard went way over his fucking head in this grift.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Like for fucking real getting 17 out of 17 charges dismissed and then going on to bitch about the judge is the sorriest loser bullshit I have ever fucking witnessed and its going to cost Vic hundreds of fucking thousands of dollars.

Congratufuckinglations the lawsuit did more damage to Vic than cancel culture could have ever fucking done.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

I’m not sure what’s going on, but seeing Fiye so angry leads me to believe Vic was right.

BG Level

Wouldn't know. I blocked him weeks ago. But always nice seeing a SJW sperg the hell out.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Fiye View Post
    sorriest loser bullshit
    lol calm down fool. I have no horses in this race and I've just been enjoying watching two massive groups of cheeto dusted weeaboos fighting each other over their favorite cartoon character's voices having a legal battle. Eat your heart out on that one.

Some real galaxy brain outrage right here.