+ Reply to Thread
    The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Dafuq, halp! Windows logon screen issues

So a ridicilously annoying issue has started popping up after our clients started hitting 1903 version of windows.

When the user has to log on after the computer has been locked, every now and then the logon prompt just doesn't appear. We disabled the blurry background, but the issue still arises as far as I can tell. I tried posting on the MS answers section, but that place is crowded with dipshits who want ratings with contributing absolutely nothing of worth (pleaes try rebooting your computer, please reinstall windows, please check your driovers, please boot into safe mode and...). I have 100+ Lenovo laptops randomly not showing the logon prompt when users return.

In our case a reboot let's people get back in, but a lot of people on old Dells are completely stuck. Trying to enter into that thread sees the horde fear you taking their spotlight (because two different manufacturers laptops having the exact same symptoms except reboot working on Lenovos, but not on Dells means the problems are guaranteed to be entirely unrelated...)

ngh, I hate people.

Anyway, anyone encounter this particular bug and have any ideas? It seems entirely random. It hasn't happened on any of the VMs I set up to test with yet, but I have had very little time to tinker with them.
    To my knowledge, it hasn't happened at bootup yet

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I dont know if you got this figured out, or if you ran updates and patched it up...but its the july and/or august update of the .net framework. One of our clients was getting plagued by something like this, and when we removed these KB patches (idk the numbers) or ran the September patch, the problem went away.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Our initial testing suggests we figured it out, or rather, we found someone who had figured it out. %windir%\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Loc al\Microsoft\Windows\Caches has two files, renaming that folder has windows recreate the folder with files, and with our limited testing so far, the problem stops then.
    Very nice to know that it's the .net part, I recently put in a force reboot and install gpo, so it should clear itself up soon then, rather than me running around manually, thank you very much for the new info :D