Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for FFXI "Classic"?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by D44kpunk View Post
    omen is daily, name an ffxi event ouside of HNMs that was an hour and daily. aeonic runs take 4hrs(if you're good) to 8 hours. it consumes the same amount of time generally. funny how all the content you listed before evaporated once people brought time into the equation. it's amazing how after 15 years you have not changed at all. embarrassing.

also yeah i agree with you karbuncle leveling took forever in old ffxi. not sure i agree with the new way of afking to 99 and then CP botting to 2100 CP though. give me the old way any day

also we're at 85.4k now, dropping a solid 1k every day
    Omen can store up to 4 Canteens at once, so it's not daily, I think plenty of LS's go twice a week and just burn all KI's each time, and people skip out when they need to go to bed. Aeonic runs don't need to happen all at once. I usually do Zitah in one swoop, Ru'aun in one swoop, t1-t3 in one swoop, then we knock out t4's, that's at minimum four separate runs, because there's no requirement to doing it all at once. And that's basically one of the defining changes from todays XI from that of old, it's not a constant competition, so you can do it at your (groups) pace.

All the other content to do is done as needed and as desired, there's no strict timeframe on it.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Kanriel View Post
    Omen can store up to 4 Canteens at once, so it's not daily, I think plenty of LS's go twice a week and just burn all KI's each time, and people skip out when they need to go to bed. Aeonic runs don't need to happen all at once. I usually do Zitah in one swoop, Ru'aun in one swoop, t1-t3 in one swoop, then we knock out t4's, that's at minimum four separate runs, because there's no requirement to doing it all at once. And that's basically one of the defining changes from todays XI from that of old, it's not a constant competition, so you can do it at your (groups) pace.

All the other content to do is done as needed and as desired, there's no strict timeframe on it.
    ok.. so we're back to 3-4 hours of omen twice a week.. jesus you can't be this daft, can you?

fuck it actually i'm not gonna respond to you further and that takes a lot from me, you're too stupid to see the ignorance in how you argue

Relic Shield
    BG Level

ok.. so we're back to 3-4 hours of omen twice a week.. jesus you can't be this daft, can you?

fuck it actually i'm not gonna respond to you further and that takes a lot from me, you're too stupid to see the ignorance in how you argue
    3-4 hours of Omen you can do...at your own pace...at your own schedule...either solo, small man, or full LS. Do you really not get how those details matter?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Most content itself didn't take that long. Travel took a long time. The logistics of coordinating an entire LS of 20~80 people on the right jobs, with the right gear, in the right alliances took a long time.

All your tank mains are missing? Guess your WHM will have to PLD and one of your BLMs will have to WHM. Half your summoners are offline today? Guess we'll try a different strat for Einherjar today. Or maybe we won't? Let's debate about it for an hour while we wait and see if people log in. Someone's in a merit party and they can't leave because they can't find a replacement? I guess we can let them come late...

Miss the airship? Fuck you, wait another 12 mins for the next one. Now your LS event is behind 15mins. Can't get a teleport? Fuck you, beg someone to port you or pay that guy who's charging 20k. Now your LS event is 30 mins late. You forgot your gear/arrows/shihei on your moogle and you need a D2 and then another tele/ship? Yikes, bro. People been waiting an hour to start by now. Used your 2hr to save your leveling party and you need it refreshed? Spend half an hour hitting up peoples' corsair mules! You're waiting for someone to open the gates in Sky? Better hope your LS planned for that and left some disposable people behind for you. Event is somewhere you have to hoof it to? Sneak and invis over to your party and try not to die on the way! ...what do you mean your oil wore off and you died? I guess someone with rez will have to come get you. Hmm, better send the BLM too so we can tractor you to a safer location.

...What do you mean they both died too? Well fuck, we can't just leave you all there, I guess we'll need to send the whole LS to eradicate the mobs and save you guys. LS event is now a rescue mission. Everyone is so pissed off and so much time has been wasted by this time that the actual event is cancelled.

When people talk about things that sucked hardcore about old XI, this shit is the kind of stuff foremost in my mind. No amount of rose-tint would ever make the shitty travel and terrible logistics the game had look good. This is one thing current XI has vastly improved upon. Even if you or your party members forgot something, travel is so much faster and stress free at this point that it's no big deal. I always stressed out so much when I would make my ls late (or worse, accidentally warp/teleport out of a zone I couldn't get back into), it's just not good for anyone's health.

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The irony is incredible.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

3-4 hours of Omen you can do...at your own pace...at your own schedule...either solo, small man, or full LS. Do you really not get how those details matter?
    You could do any event at your own pace on your own schedule if you look at it in that light. Embarrassing

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

It was infinitely more fun and interesting for me to be able to solo original content than to care about Endgame stuff at all so, Ilvl+trusts is the best era.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Most content itself didn't take that long. Travel took a long time. The logistics of coordinating an entire LS of 20~80 people on the right jobs, with the right gear, in the right alliances took a long time.

All your tank mains are missing? Guess your WHM will have to PLD and one of your BLMs will have to WHM. Half your summoners are offline today? Guess we'll try a different strat for Einherjar today. Or maybe we won't? Let's debate about it for an hour while we wait and see if people log in. Someone's in a merit party and they can't leave because they can't find a replacement? I guess we can let them come late...

Miss the airship? Fuck you, wait another 12 mins for the next one. Now your LS event is behind 15mins. Can't get a teleport? Fuck you, beg someone to port you or pay that guy who's charging 20k. Now your LS event is 30 mins late. You forgot your gear/arrows/shihei on your moogle and you need a D2 and then another tele/ship? Yikes, bro. People been waiting an hour to start by now. Used your 2hr to save your leveling party and you need it refreshed? Spend half an hour hitting up peoples' corsair mules! You're waiting for someone to open the gates in Sky? Better hope your LS planned for that and left some disposable people behind for you. Event is somewhere you have to hoof it to? Sneak and invis over to your party and try not to die on the way! ...what do you mean your oil wore off and you died? I guess someone with rez will have to come get you. Hmm, better send the BLM too so we can tractor you to a safer location.

...What do you mean they both died too? Well fuck, we can't just leave you all there, I guess we'll need to send the whole LS to eradicate the mobs and save you guys. LS event is now a rescue mission. Everyone is so pissed off and so much time has been wasted by this time that the actual event is cancelled.

When people talk about things that sucked hardcore about old XI, this shit is the kind of stuff foremost in my mind. No amount of rose-tint would ever make the shitty travel and terrible logistics the game had look good. This is one thing current XI has vastly improved upon. Even if you or your party members forgot something, travel is so much faster and stress free at this point that it's no big deal. I always stressed out so much when I would make my ls late (or worse, accidentally warp/teleport out of a zone I couldn't get back into), it's just not good for anyone's health.
    The last part especially, one time I accidentally left the ZNM zone where you need a KI to enter once to help tractor someone to a safe spot and I didn't have enough to reenter. It made me almost carve lines into my scalp cause of how much time it put everyone back.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    It was infinitely more fun and interesting for me to be able to solo original content than to care about Endgame stuff at all so, Ilvl+trusts is the best era.

They need to abolish the require 3+ people to enter certain events, being locked out of delve, incursion, vagary is kind of a pain in the dick unless you triple box then it isn't a problem, but hey it keeps those items values higher than they need to be!

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

The idea that I can run into Gustav Tunnel if I want to and spend all day camping NMs there for no reason but to do it, and won't need to either call for help or waste anybody else's time to kill them, that's all I want to do.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post

Ngl, LS rescue missions and the shenanigans that occurred on the way to a pop location, BCNM, Limbus, etc. brought it's own form of entertainment that may have sucked in the moment but left memories that we talked about or ragged on each other jokingly later on. It was disastrous fun but I can definitely do without the long wait times or rng mechanics to enter zone (looking at you Kirin room).

Relic Shield
    BG Level

You could do any event at your own pace on your own schedule if you look at it in that light. Embarrassing
    Not when you needed 6-18 people to do so many events. You were at the whims of the combined schedules of everyone involved.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I wouldnt play xi classic or retail without clipper/cupper/tako

imagine a game where 6" tall ledges and moving slow as fuck is a feature

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Fondue View Post
    I wouldnt play xi classic or retail without clipper/cupper/tako

imagine a game where 6" tall ledges and moving slow as fuck is a feature
    XI "Classic" would have just as much Tak and bots as the real game does, if not more due to the grid/time sinks more associated with then than now.
    Just to put that out there.

If they were to actually put resources into giving a shit about a classic server, they would probably police it for at least a little while to make it feel authentic

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

People keep saying that as if the ship hasn't sailed.

No, they arent going to suddenly dump resources into this game.
    Enjoy what you've still got while you've got it.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Not when you needed 6-18 people to do so many events. You were at the whims of the combined schedules of everyone involved.
    8 decently geared players is enough to handle W1-3 divergence and make a sizable dent in the fomor boss if that is your goal. I've found 1 DD dedicated to solo sc while a THF + COR handle others making darkness spam was faster than throwing a laggy alliance of 18 at everything. Pretty much everything else you can skate on by with 6 or fewer.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    8 decently geared players is enough to handle W1-3 divergence and make a sizable dent in the fomor boss if that is your goal. I've found 1 DD dedicated to solo sc while a THF + COR handle others making darkness spam was faster than throwing a laggy alliance of 18 at everything. Pretty much everything else you can skate on by with 6 or fewer.
    Yes, but they were saying that as a negative of the 75 cap. Not how you can play the game without having to move heaven and Earth.

S N K
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Edit: Wrong thread.

Ninja Edit: You didn't have to edit my post Spicy damn. Anyways I got help from Funkworkz, After a bit of talking and testing we found out that the Mission listed on the wiki was wrong. Turns out you have to be on Balamor's Ruse to progress instead of Lightslad.

P.S. Now If you'll stop editing my posts, get back to work on the wiki you fucking slacker.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

As someone that's said they would play a classic FFXI... I think a lot of people are making the assumption that the game would release exactly as it was at some point from 2003-2007. I don't think such a game would stay afloat. I think some changes would certainly need to be made for it to have a chance of success (by which I mean the game is profitable enough for SE to actually engage in making/maintaining it). However, I don't think SE would ever actually want to invest the time and resources needed to reboot a classic version of FFXI.

Similar to the private servers that exist now, certain changes would HAVE to be made for it to be feasible. For example, any decently populated private server has level sync that usually is unlimited or within a large level range that scales on population. FFXI without level sync only worked when thousands of people were playing it on the same server. Maybe if the game had a huge resurgence it could work, but that is highly unlikely, so level sync would need to be the backstop.

WoW classic is very unique in its ability to still work in the modern era because of how the game innovated the genre. I am sure many of you who were older FFXI players remember hearing that WoW had quests that awarded EXP and were surprised just like I was. At the time it was a pretty revolutionary idea, and one that allows the leveling aspect of the game to be played completely solo if someone wishes. That is the biggest issue with an FFXI classic - Leveling requires other bodies, even with the implementation of level sync.

This fact is why FFXI classic will never happen, and why it would likely fail if it did. I'd still try it though, of course I would.