Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I might make it there, but I'll never grind crabs in qufim again. What the fuck were we thinking, what the fuck were the developers thinking?

Maybe I won't make it past the dunes actually. I have nightmares about those crabs.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Never going back to loldrg with fucking chr on our AF. Wearing fucking assault curiass as BIS, watching all the other melee worth a damn getting haubys and shit. No thanks.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipotent View Post
    I think this is just a cry to bring back Dalmatica/Ridill and A.Berk.
    I've used Ridill plenty amount of time lately!

Relic Shield
    BG Level

LFG for whole week and gain negative exp

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    I might make it there, but I'll never grind crabs in qufim again. What the fuck were we thinking, what the fuck were the developers thinking?

Maybe I won't make it past the dunes actually. I have nightmares about those crabs.
    I was 13, not very smart.

Shit was fun to aspire to do stuff with a group because I had loads of times on my hand. Like I said, it would never work again unless I quit my job.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    I try to tell people. You do not miss the game. You miss that particular time in your life when you got to play as much as you did with other friends and like minded people. There are many f2p private servers you can hop on if you want to test it for yourself. Most of y’all will quit before you make it to Jeuno.
    Current XI is honestly pretty friendly to get into, its when you want to run end game is where it becomes a problem, 3 days for Omen if you don't want to lose any tags, scheduling aeonic runs, weekly vagary for RoE, you have your monthly RoE for objective, you have a month to cap out your ambuscade points for your cape, armor and high gil value items such as alex, hmp, dross and cinders, dynamis twice a week and then you have pulse weapons to farm for your ambuscade ultimate weapons.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Crabs are so bad and it's amazing how people just followed the same levelling path for as long as we did. Shell guard just kills chains especially when you don't have access to dispel.

On Eden, everyone exps on flies until you can do colibri. As long as you have competent healers, you get much better xp/he than crabs. Piercing damage is in very high demand. It's kind of bizzaro world where drgs get snatched up quickly and mnks and nins have to wait for invites.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Acid bolts overwrite the defense buff if you have a THF or RNG, used that to get around cocoon and shell guard.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I started dabbling casually on Eden as well. It's enjoyable and frustrating in equal amounts, but I've found it worth the time. Sense of progression and social interaction are immensely more satisfying than modern MMOs...they're also frustrating given time investment / travel time / difficulty involved / etc. It's also amazing how much easier the leveling process is given the benefit of hindsight and accumulated knowledge (level sync is also immensely helpful); you're out of the Dunes in a few hours as opposed to 1-2 weeks which is how long it took me on retail.

Just some assorted musings. I'd consider an XI classic, but it would be an off and on affair at best. Too many other games and too much work these days.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

fortunately ffxi classic would be about 3x the population current retail servers.

nasomi alone has about 10% of the active population that retail does(distinct IPs)

current retail is horrendous.

BG isn't really the place to post this question though as the only people who still lurk here are for some reason 14 fans that are looking for a different forum but just can't seem to find it or people holding onto the decaying dumpster fire that is retail.

retail could still be good, but unfortunately the only content in the last 4 years has been a reskinned version of dynamis. the QOL changes are not enough and the changes they do make are absolutely asinine, they tease the playerbase with things such as stacking to 99 but then add it for shit like mog kupons.

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    No thanks. The whole classic fad is just the typical WoW bandwagoning, with the current hype likely to quickly fade from WoW itself the more people realize how awful back in the day really was. Meanwhile, pointing to a few private XI servers with a very small number of active, long-term players is hardly indicative it'd be a success for XI, either. Basically, things across all these games changed for a reason, and to many, for the better. SE largely abandoning XI for XIV is also a factor the slow of XI content late-ToAU, while I'll continue to assert that Abyssea just really exposed how many tended to feel about the people they didn't like but were nonetheless forced to help with random shit because hurdur LS politics.

While I largely enjoyed my time in XI, there's definitely shit I do not miss. And yes, I feel their current content drip and recycling is a tragedy because SE could do both the game and community better. But sequentially and arbitrarily quarantining the game into eras isn't the answer. XI needs to some legit modernization overhauls (AH, party finding, graphics, true instancing, shedding the vestiges of PS2 limitations, etc.) and a new, full expansion.
    i wonder if you'll admit how horrendously wrong you were about wow classics success in this thread and others, but i don't see it happening. you don't seem the type

Relic Shield
    BG Level

WoW classic just launched. It being successful will be seen in a few months, not when hype is still real about it.

It's also not very indicative of how a XI classic would go because the big change WoW did was get rid of a lot of time sinks. They still had some crazy grinds, but food allowing full hp/mp in seconds allowed people to keep playing the game at low levels and got people really into it. THEN time sinks started to really show with reputation grinding and the sort. XI's timesinks begin almost immediately and go through the entire leveling process. As others have said, only having an hour or two to play makes XI classic extremely hard to do things with.

Also, retail last few years is still a better game than 75 cap was, simply because you have more options for gear, more sidegrades are around, you can do more with each job, and there's just as much/more variety of content to do. I could never go back to 75 simply because it would feel so incredibly limiting.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Yeah, not really seeing why WoW Classic succeeding would somehow equate to XI succeeding. WoW crushed XI when it came out in terms of sub numbers. It wasn't even close. Where are these mysterious millions of players going to come from to somehow put the XI Classic on the map? Even if every person who ever played in 2005 prime time came back to XI Classic, it would still be crushed.

Wanting it because you want it is one thing. Wanting it because you believe it'll be some rousing success long-term is something else entirely.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

They would need to rework the whole engine to ever get mainstream success, and if they were going to do that, they may as well make a whole new game.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

depends what you define as success, current retail ffxi maybe has 30k active players? max? 2005 ffxi had 500-800k, i don't think numbers were ever completely released.

75 era ffxi would never have as many as wow-classic, no one suggested that. wow classic is already a huge success even if they only maintain 10% of their current playerbase, current estimates are they added over 2mil subscriptions(they previously had 1.4) based on server population numbers.

no other paid subscription mmo has cressed over 1mil afaik.

again comes back to how you define success. still the wrong place for this question though as i outlined above, BG isn't the target market at all, it would be people who have far moved on from the shitstorm that is modern day ffxi.

you're also talking completely out your ass if you think wow classic has no time sinks..

Relic Shield
    BG Level

It's a 17 year old MMO, the only MMO that's even still "alive" after that long is WoW. It's an anomaly of MMO's. All games lose people with age. FFXI lost its numbers 5-6 years into the game, and now it's actually holding steady and getting increased funding by SE because it's doing so solidly now. Pretty sure that shows that retail XI is doing as well as could be considered, not a sunk ship. It's extremely hard to get people back into a game like XI, or to get new people to try it, so hard to get the numbers up, but it's been extremely consistent in its numbers so as to get SE to okay 3 years of funding when previously it was on 1 year at a time, so it's doing pretty good.

I also never said WoW didn't have any timesinks. They're just mostly later in the game. And there's also a massive difference in playstyle when WoW you can level solo, and FFXI you need people to do much of anything. It just doesn't translate well at all to classic being any level of success.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

where on earth are you pulling out of your ass that numbers are holding steady/it's extremely consistent..?

the only, key word only, indicator you can look at is ffxiah's active characters via transactions and that has been steadily declining since about 2012 and has continued to decline. most people i know that still play do so with 3 characters so numbers there are even wildly skewed, bots are ran 24/7, gil prices are at an all time low and continuing to sink due to no demand.

the only piece of content in the last 4 years was reskinned dynamis. empyrean+3 equipment was promised mid this year, here we sit in september with nothing seemingly on the horizon. best case they announce that "hey we are working on something" in 2020, worst case they string you along further. in the history of SE they have always announced major expansions or content at least a year in advance so expecting something soon is naive. you will be on 6 years with the only piece of content as dynamis-d.

i'm baffled how anyone can be such a cheerleader for SE based on how they have handled ffxi in recent years. anyone who has played any other game or worked with any other company should avidly hate how SE has abandoned and mislead their 11 community. it is clear to me that you have never played other games though and will remain an ffxi-faithful doing reskinned abyssea in 2085 when you pass away

edit: as previously stated, current ffxi has potential to be good, SE has dropped the ball and i think they are in an irrecoverable state based on how they consistently act as a company.

i would bet my bottom dollar classic-ffxi would have more subscribers than retail. do i think we will ever see classic ffxi? no. judging by how they have maintained the game they have absolutely no handle on their code base, they act like an indy game studio.

edit2: also you're being a bit misleading furthermore because it's almost like you're insinuating they will get more staff to do some sort of content, they actually said the opposite in the freshly picked iirc. i would expect ambuscades to continue to be cycled, jobs slightly changed and nothing major except maybe a reskinned zone or two within the next 3 years. probably abyssea if i had to guess

Relic Shield
    BG Level

It's not exactly pulling it out my ass when it's right in an interview: https://gamerescape.com/2019/05/23/t...d-yoji-fujito/

Once the game releases, the line goes up really quickly and when it reaches it’s peak, its naturally start to fall down. When an expansion is released, the line starts to increase and decrease making a mountain shape and then it starts to decrease again. The natural decrease’s degree is known for almost any MMORPG, and in accordance to that degree there is a decreasing line which the real data neatly follows, but FFXI is going against it. (laugh)

Famitsu: You’re developing an exception of the rule. (laugh)

Fujito: Currently, FFXI is going sideways most of the time. You could say it has hit its bottom. It does go up a bit sometimes as well.
    This is them saying the lowest of FFXI subs is past, and they've been fairly consistently staying steady or even going up.

And I'm not so much a "cheerleader" for SE as not really wanting to deal with your negativity. I'm enjoying the game in this era more than I did in the past, or during Adoulin. Are there problems still? Absolutely. But the game is doing very well considering the circumstances, and is a more fun game as a result. Also, XI classic would suck.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I have no idea how you can interpret what he said the way you did but I am not going to argue with delusion

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I’d wager that a FFXI classic would draw much more attention than a lot of people here speculate. Especially if they made a decent marketing push for it and added some of the great QOL features like mog wardrobe etc.

As noted, WoW hasn't been up long. Take another look in 6 months, but a year would be pretty much be my litmus test as that was about how long it took Rift's classic mode to crash and burn.

And of course, success will be speculative. I'd be inclined to relate it to WoW's peak numbers, so of 13m or whatever players it had, I'd be shocked if they consistently stay over 1m. Comparatively, even over 100k would still trounce a lot of other MMOs. I'm just not inclined to call that a success, however, when you'll likely have the main game still at 3m+ users between those who'd rather have new content or are just plain unwilling to start fresh. And that question of just how much this will cost current WoW is something we do need to ask, because I'd personally say seasons hurt Diablo 3 as a nod to another Blizzard title that pandered to the restart gimmick.

Nonetheless, the bandwagoning bores me. Give me new content in whatever I'm playing. Don't care if it's XI, XIV, or whatever. Sub fees go toward that, not giving the devs an EZ mode on what largely just amounts to upkeep.