Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for FFXI "Classic"?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I love how in all these examples no one mentions RuneScape and how AMAZINGLY successful old school RS has become. Even though they were the first ones to do this.

Whatever fits your bias and pushes your agenda when defending a decaying piece of shit game tho

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

A few things:

1) I'm not "defending" anything. Facts are facts. WoW crushed XI's numbers. Everyone's numbers. Hilariously so. If you think this simple fact means I somehow play WoW or support it, I pity your dim vision.
    2) RuneScape gauges their success on a combination of players and microtransactions, and brings in a third of its revenue solely through MTX. XI had none to speak of, so that's an entire revenue stream lost to them.
    3) RS had far more players than XI ever did, so again, there were always more potential old players to bring back than XI.
    4) You seem to not take disagreement well. Such a needlessly hostile person.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

He is honestly insane, not worth arguing with him at all.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    4) You seem to not take disagreement well. Such a needlessly hostile person.
    Part of the reason he was banned from YCS.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Mythe_Seraph View Post
    I’d wager that a FFXI classic would draw much more attention than a lot of people here speculate. Especially if they made a decent marketing push for it and added some of the great QOL features like mog wardrobe etc.
    If you're adding the QOL shit, how would it even be different from just doing 1-75 content on current servers, beyond slower exp? Changes to old FFXI content are relatively minor, where as WoW has been repeatedly revamped to the point it's hardly even the same game, even at low levels in old content.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdan View Post
    If you're adding the QOL shit, how would it even be different from just doing 1-75 content on current servers, beyond slower exp? Changes to old FFXI content are relatively minor, where as WoW has been repeatedly revamped to the point it's hardly even the same game, even at low levels in old content.
    Yeah, I mean, WoW entirely revamped the entire world on its 4th expansion. Not the WotG "this is now the past" kinda thing, it fundamentally removed the 1-60 leveling process that came in the base game that anyone would remember and yearn for via nostalgia. So it didn't even have that little nostalgia kick for people who wanted to go back and try. XI still has 95+% of all the old camps there, and you can ignore rhapsodies to keep the EXP boost from being too high if you so desire a slow grind of levels.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Don't forget about the slow graphical overhauls that have taken place since Cataclysm. Pretty sure every race from 4.0 WoW has gotten an overhaul by now. I'm not sure how baked in FFXI's changes are (I honestly haven't dabbled in content past like 2008 era even when I attempted to resub in 2018)

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by D44kpunk View Post
    I love how in all these examples no one mentions RuneScape and how AMAZINGLY successful old school RS has become. Even though they were the first ones to do this.

Whatever fits your bias and pushes your agenda when defending a decaying piece of shit game tho
    OSRS success and comparing it to what could happen with Classic or OS-FFXI wouldn't really be the same. OSRS actually has developers that genuinely care and love the game and has built up a community of at least 150k+ unique users 85% I would say are actually paying for membership. They're very engaged with the community, they take lots of community feedback and run polls on content that they want to add to the game and let the community choose if they want it added or not-- needing a 75% or greater approval for content to be put into the game.

Classic WoW has a roadmap that it's following to stagger release raids and content that they had already developed, beyond that they will probably just release TBC servers and WoTLK servers and then be done with it and never develop new original content for the game because the community is so dramatically different and thinks it shouldn't branch off from its original retail run, it's doomed to hit a wall and only spike in interest when they release phase 2 and 3 and then announce the next expansion pack servers.

SE wouldn't do any of this, they would likely just release the game with Rise of the Zilart and leave it at that until it ran itself into the ground, you'd have some shills from the past that play and think they got a big dick but really they're really just nothing, they're nobody much like in today's FFXI where anyone thinks they're hot shit when no one is even going to give them the time of day or notice their 'impressive skill' of running 3 bots while they quad box.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

They removed the graphical changes in wow classic. RuneScape has no micro transactions in os RS.. not sure they even do in the main game.

People shitting on a version of the game that clearly trumps the current version (since the current version has 10% of the population) is insanity and will be met with hostility from lots of people including myself

lots of fallacy being thrown out to match a narrative..

if you think soloing in the dunes with 5 trusts is the same experience as seeking for a party you're insane. there was a sense of accomplishment when you leveled on the 75 version of the game that is completely non existant in the current version and that's just one example. this is definitely a different strokes for different folks conversation so I always struggle to see why idiots on BG and ffxiah are vindicated by saying "lol it's the same experience xD + new content !!" like that's even remotely true. your head has to be so far up your ass to believe such a thing.

all that being said the most populated ffxi servers are the following in order:

1. Asura
    2. Nasomi
    3. Eden
    4. Odin

when two piss poor(sorry at0mos but the management on eden is so fucking bad) private servers out rank 10 retail servers that is absolutely boggling to believe there aren't a trove of people who think the retail version is dog shit and 75 ffxi is better.

wow classic private servers averaged around 30k players online, wow classic when it launched had 3mil unique logins.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    OSRS success and comparing it to what could happen with Classic or OS-FFXI wouldn't really be the same. OSRS actually has developers that genuinely care and love the game and has built up a community of at least 150k+ unique users 85% I would say are actually paying for membership. They're very engaged with the community, they take lots of community feedback and run polls on content that they want to add to the game and let the community choose if they want it added or not-- needing a 75% or greater approval for content to be put into the game.

Classic WoW has a roadmap that it's following to stagger release raids and content that they had already developed, beyond that they will probably just release TBC servers and WoTLK servers and then be done with it and never develop new original content for the game because the community is so dramatically different and thinks it shouldn't branch off from its original retail run, it's doomed to hit a wall and only spike in interest when they release phase 2 and 3 and then announce the next expansion pack servers.

SE wouldn't do any of this, they would likely just release the game with Rise of the Zilart and leave it at that until it ran itself into the ground, you'd have some shills from the past that play and think they got a big dick but really they're really just nothing, they're nobody much like in today's FFXI where anyone thinks they're hot shit when no one is even going to give them the time of day or notice their 'impressive skill' of running 3 bots while they quad box.
    I agree with you for the most part and I already said as much in my previous post. SE won't make a ffxi-classic, if they did though I would wager it would have a higher population than the current version of the game even if they were treated equally. I agree with your analysis of why they wouldn't make it or if they did why it wouldn't be cared for correctly + I don't think they have a handle on their code base to be able to go back to a previous version of the game without remaking it completely. they would treat it much like they treat current retail, complete shit.

they don't even have full time developers for retail ffxi despite this dudes claim that they got 3 more years funding, they say so in the freshly picked that was mentioned abnove. they don't have full time support staff. GM calls are not answered. the game is on life support.

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

FFXI classic is platitudinous joke at this point.

Chalk it up to rosey retrospection, but these glory days people are chasing either did not truly exist or simply can not be replicated.

There is no actual moment of "FFXI Classic". Just as well, stripping QoL features out for some bygone "hardcore" time sink genre of MMO is equally as stupid an idea. Otherwise, picking and choosing such features wouldn't be classic.

It all adds up to another crummy idea from wishful people who should have already moved on long ago. Rather than a dopey desire to live in flawed and faded ideas of what the past was truly not.
    Lets stop rehashing the same "I WANT 75 ERA" shit already.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

it's hilarious to me to see people sit and defend this version of the game while attacking ffxi classic.

like you have some benchmark that's been set by current ffxi that shatters what classic ffxi is and was. the majority of you with BG join dates in the abyssea era. sad.

4 years, you got reskinned dynamis. keep defending this til the day you die

Sea Torques
    BG Level

there was a sense of accomplishment when you leveled on the 75 version of the game
    Oh so you're one of those

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I have no stake in or take on this, but your behavior is ridiculous. Not even pulling a "you mad", your hostility is just bizarre. Relax

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by CDF View Post
    Oh so you're one of those
    What you're telling me that when you were done killing the 894th weapon in Ro'Maeve and you RP walked your way back to Port Jeuno, you were not greeted by the entire server standing on the side lines cheering you on as you walked down to your mog house, cheering you on, throwing confetti. Sonomoa running over asking if you wanted to join the 3L13T BlueGartr linkshell where you would be launched into fame?

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

it's hilarious to me to see people sit and defend this version of the game while attacking ffxi classic.

like you have some benchmark that's been set by current ffxi that shatters what classic ffxi is and was. the majority of you with BG join dates in the abyssea era. sad.

4 years, you got reskinned dynamis. keep defending this til the day you die
    What is more hilarious is that there is no classic XI. It is entirely a subjective point in time solely based off of one's place in it and seemingly fueled by their own biases. Rather than some illuminating and impartial insight.

The join date to BG is completely irrelevant, and fantastically ignorant. For instance, I joined the game mid-2006, my BG join date is late 2011, and I was reading it for years before that. Try not to be so purposely obtuse.

As for your reskinned comment. I would say you are choosing not to see the forest for the trees.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    What is more hilarious is that there is no classic XI. It is entirely a subjective point in time solely based off of one's place in it and seemingly fueled by their own biases. Rather than some illuminating and impartial insight.

The join date to BG is completely irrelevant, and fantastically ignorant. For instance, I joined the game mid-2006, my BG join date is late 2011, and I was reading it for years before that. Try not to be so purposely obtuse.

As for your reskinned comment. I would say you are choosing not to see the forest for the trees.
    That could be said about any game that has launched a classic version.. arguing semantics over that is probably the dumbest thing I've ever seen but you are spicyryan

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Forum died

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

That could be said about any game that has launched a classic version.. arguing semantics over that is probably the dumbest thing I've ever seen but you are spicyryan
    Something being subjective isn't justifiably summed up as a mere matter of semantics. Is there any argument that doesn't involve semantics? What is the point of an internet forum again? Lol.

In regards to what I said, it was about this game and you know that, as well as what my point is. If you rather choose to dismissively ignore it, and cringe behind my image and perceived character as a shield, then so be it.
    I mean if you bother belittling when people joined BG as 'sad'. Like some limp quip of a post. Then I suppose that was just the next step anyway.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Your post is obtuse. Obviously how you define classic varies. I have no idea why that is even brought up. It's a challenge in every single other game that has done it.

4 years, reskinned dynamis.