Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for FFXI "Classic"?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by D44kpunk View Post
    Your post is obtuse. Obviously how you define classic varies. I have no idea why that is even brought up. It's a challenge in every single other game that has done it.

4 years, reskinned dynamis.
    Everything ends, change always comes, and if you don't like the content since the launch of Adoulin so be it. You aren't actually saying much of anything other than that you vaguely don't like it. Big whoop, I don't enjoy eating strawberries or post Vs Pearl Jam, so what?

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I'm not sure if you're naive or just unable to comprehend what you're posting. You're arguing taste when clearly there is some taste for the 75 version of the game, yet when I give reasons on why I think the current version of the game is bad you're saying it comes down to taste..

Do you see the problem here? Different strokes for different folks.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Current FFXI is a billion times better than 75 era FFXI, that doesn’t mean 75 era wasn’t fun at the time but anyone who genuinely thinks ffxi classic would be a profitable venture currently is fooling themselves. Maybe if they lowered the sub cost to like $5 for classic (or included it free with current sub). But who wants to pay full sub price for a 15 year old game when there’s already a bunch of f2p private servers? People would sub for one month and then get the harsh reminder of what it used to be looking through a 2019 worldview and quit pretty quickly.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

If FFXI Classic was F2P there could be a time where I see myself logging in every so often... but honestly the only thing that made XI during CoP/ToAu era bearable was the friends I played with along the way and none of them, including myself, would have the time to invest into XI to make the experience even remotely enjoyable. I grew up, most of us did (though not all)... so dealing with elitists who are now 30+ years old still clinging to some fake sense of relevance or stature for having x/y gear(See: This thread) doesn't seem like it'd be fun, Linkshells sucked, Kings sucked, DKP, "endgame" sucked, the whole thing was garbage back then and it'd just be worse today.

I liked old XI, and no game has ever come close to matching what I felt from old school XI, but I don't want a FFXI Classic, especially not for $$.

Lets not even talk about Bots, which are EVERYWHERE in FFXI today, absolutely blatant on-the-rails botters infest XI, and I promise you they'd be 10x worse in FFXI Classic because SE is definitely not going to hire more GM's/etc to take care of it because they do not care at all.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Because the private servers are horribly maintained buggy pieces of flaming garbage?

Thinking that a private server is a replacement for the official thing is by far the dumbest thought that can cross between your ears.

As previously stated the biggest wow private server had:

Classic wow launch had:

Notice the 0s?

I also think the idea that you guys think cost is a huge issue while also saying that most of the players would be over 30 is sad. If you can't spend $13 a month without thinking about it at age 30, you shouldn't be playing games at all.

S N K
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I'm gonna say Fuck no. Game back then was hard and fun but doing that shit again? Hell no.

I also think the idea that you guys think cost is a huge issue while also saying that most of the players would be over 30 is sad. If you can't spend $13 a month without thinking about it at age 30, you shouldn't be playing games at all.
    Subscription fatigue is a thing. This isn't just $13 or whatever in vacuum. It's on top of your internet, netflix, phone, cable, gas money, rent, insurances, groceries, and so on. Fuck your ass straight into the ground for trying to shit on people who dare consider saving a buck or getting their money's worth out of something. Next thing you know, you'll be telling them to just not eat lunch for a few days to cover the cost.

Otherwise, the zealous defense of retail you think you're seeing isn't really there. Sure, I'll reiterate that changes made to the game over time happened for a reason. Sometimes it was to compensate for a diminishing player base. Sometimes it was to better lure people from competition. Sometimes SE just gonna SE and thought whatever was a good idea. It's only really scratching the surface without going into specifics, however, but we can't just pretend point X was better for everybody or even a significant majority. Some of it will simply involve why WoW wound up more popular than XI in general. And I'll venture a guess that involved Blizzard being NA-based and not showing overt favoritism to JPs for so long.

FFXI doesn't "suck" now because Abyssea happened or whatever other inane pro-nostalgia logic that tends to pop up in these topics. FFXI is suffering from SE's ignorance. You can't expect shallow content to last forever, which I'd bluntly classify RMEADs. You can't cram an active population into a single world and not have issues, especially without other modern day cross-server tools in place. If anything, it's the addicts slurping SE's balls for whatever does come out that has been doing the most damage over time. They've sent the message that now is "good enough" or satisfactory. Meanwhile, the STF no longer seems to exist between bots and gil/merc spam, and anyone on dead servers can pretty much expect to not be able to do anything once Trusts are no longer an option.

I saw the writing was on the wall during the Voidwatch era. Not because I think Abyssea killed everything, but because so many realized that the old ways were bullshit and that you could still have a fun game with accessibility and none of the linkshell drama, internal or external. But no, it was back to alliance content, back to shit drop rates (you couldn't trade with people who did need), back to overt job discrimination, and eventually on to slipping mechanics onto monsters the game's engine didn't really handle well. Some jobs waxed and waned during these periods, for better or worse, but for all of Tanaka's oldschool balance obsession, I think deep down we knew the game wasn't on multiple fronts. And if you want to be the sort that feels MMOs should only really be for the hardcore, well, you're missing the point behind WoW's changing, too. Devs learned. Players learned. Accept it or throw a tantrum, whatever. We do have a new generation of gamers who weren't there for the back-in-the-day, so I don't really have a problem with the concept in instructing them on how things used to be. Sure, it may win some over, too, but we'll still creep back into history's repetition. Players will want new content eventually, and I'd honestly expect a World of Diablo from Blizzard before seeing some classic branch path off WotLK.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

i like how you're quoting me and arguing something i never said.

in fact i said what you said, SE has ruined their game their own way by diverting resources/staff to ff14 and abandoning it, i don't think it was any specific content. it was very clear they wanted people to transition to ff14. wanting to play by yourself on an mmo is hilarious though. i'll never understand how your brain works when you post that thought, the same thought you've posted 300000000000000000x in other places.

also nah, the argument wasn't how people should spend their money it was that if they can't afford $13/month without thinking about it they shouldn't be playing either retail ffxi or a classic version.

the rest is long winded saying nothing

It's pretty simple, really. Give players things to do where coming together when mutual interests align isn't a pain in the ass and you can still have an online game. No need for the equivalent of job applications, mandatory scheduling to do shit X nights a week, limiting things to various windows of opportunity, or just generally promoting one group(s)' progression at the expense of another. The people who have most suffered from the genre's evolution are typically those who love to gatekeep or just be a dick. Without a guaranteed static of players to get around all that, the only other real recourse is to have lots of time to try anything and everything you can until you do succeed. Look at other replies and tally the equivalent of "We don't have time for that!" sort of sentiments. What I ultimately recognize is you can have a game where you play on your own terms, chase the various little goals, and eventually you'll be an established player. For those otherwise stuck in the Raider mentality, they're still not going anywhere. Not yet, anyway. Nonetheless, that won't stop them from bitching about not having enough to do or that anything else isn't worth working on, either.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Pretty confused... You're arguing against all that in the 75 era but you are failing to realize that current top content requires the same scheduling?

You want 0 content for players that have an elitist mentality basically is what you're getting at.

Extremely laughable and stupid stance but sure I see what you're saying

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

As previously stated the biggest wow private server had:

Classic wow launch had:

Notice the 0s?

A consideration there is that a WoW account gives you something like what, 50 character slots? WoW Classic just comes down to using one of those for a character on that realm. If SE gave all of us a free character on a classic server, we'd probably jump on for shits n' giggles too. I suspect it'd be more of a cross-server social thing though.
    Sticking around and grinding endgame for years on end like we did before though? Probably not. I wouldn't be at all interested in that.

Pretty confused... You're arguing against all that in the 75 era but you are failing to realize that current top content requires the same scheduling?

You want 0 content for players that have an elitist mentality basically is what you're getting at.

Extremely laughable and stupid stance but sure I see what you're saying
    There's personal elitism and projecting it onto others. The problems arise when dealing with the latter. So, yes, I question devs wasting a considerable amount of resources on content that sub-5% of a community sees while it's current, let alone mechanically demanding that sort of efficacy beyond often inflated social expectation. I don't need to look too hard to find people in XIV that were salty that the Eden fights were beaten in a day or so. Conversely, I've felt the common concept of a raid where you have a dungeon with various bosses you bang your head against one for weeks to get a couple pieces of gear just to repeat the process on the next until you finally beat the dungeon to be dumb, too. Just don't be a dumbass and confuse my stance for accessibility to not require effort. Rather, I'm anti stupid gates and excessive time sinks.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Not sure why y'all are so obsessed with arguing the semantics of the wow classic launch, but the tldr is they exposed their API which told us they had 1.4m subscribers to the current version of wow prior to classics launch. So even if every single person from the current version was logged on to wow classic they still doubled their active subscriber count.

Several people when we had this same discussion in the wow thread said it would fail and whined the same thing about a ffxi classic. So far those people are wildly wrong. Time will tell though

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    There's personal elitism and projecting it onto others. The problems arise when dealing with the latter. So, yes, I question devs wasting a considerable amount of resources on content that sub-5% of a community sees while it's current, let alone mechanically demanding that sort of efficacy beyond often inflated social expectation. I don't need to look too hard to find people in XIV that were salty that the Eden fights were beaten in a day or so. Conversely, I've felt the common concept of a raid where you have a dungeon with various bosses you bang your head against one for weeks to get a couple pieces of gear just to repeat the process on the next until you finally beat the dungeon to be dumb, too. Just don't be a dumbass and confuse my stance for accessibility to not require effort. Rather, I'm anti stupid gates and excessive time sinks.
    So you want all content to be cleared by you and the shitters you find in pugs so that you don't feel left out. No I clearly understand, I just think that's a very stupid game design. You're better suited for offline games with that mentality

It's almost as if some people may have realized personal skill isn't derived from how much time you can dump into an activity, but sure, everyone not you is a shitter.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Do you also want to be just as good at basketball as LeBron James even though you haven't shot hoops in a decade? Getting wildly off topic but I don't know how you tie your shoes with a mentality like that

I'll have you know I played basketball 8 months ago, thanks.

But yeah, you're going apples and arachnids there. Fucking LOL thinking MMOing is anywhere near pro sports.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    Fucking LOL thinking MMOing is anywhere near pro sports.
    You say that but the mythic race for world first got a lot of views. (WoW, Eternal Palace)

No other MMO comes close to that tho. XIV Ultimates would be the next closest thing honestly and that doesn't get anywhere near as many concurrent viewers. (Also the world first contenders don't stream).

Watching != Participating, however, which is where he was going.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

If you don't want people to be visibly better than you at a game because they've put in practice you should stay on offline games and not watch any streams of said games

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast