Page 61 of 68 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for FFXI "Classic"?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

Are you referring to people using burn parties on certain classes to get fast exp? I guess I don't see that as much of a deal, considering I was SMN burning on retail in 08 when level sync was added and it was way more EXP than anything Eden ever achieved.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Maybe he means how literally every party has a powerlevel mule sitting outside lol.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Hakkar

Per http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/index.shtml

As the community may be aware, COVID-19 (also known as "novel coronavirus") is spreading within the East Asia region. Taking into consideration the current situation within the region, sadly SQUARE ENIX has decided to cancel the PAX East attendance of staff who would be travelling from the Japan offices. This difficult decision was based on our desire to prevent any potential spread of the virus and to prioritize the health and safety of PAX attendees and our fellow exhibitors.

As an extra precaution regarding the safety of our guests, we are planning to scale down on our planned activities outside of the show floor. As such, we regret to inform you that we will be canceling the Fan Gathering 2020 at PAX East.

We had originally planned to have Producer Akihiko Matsui and Director Yoji Fujito host a presentation at the event. However, we will be adjusting our plan to deliver this information in a different form. We will follow up with more details in the future.
    TL;DR- no more sponsored fan event due to the coronavirus concerns.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quite the bummer

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

What does that have to do with this thread? It is a bummer, how lame of them. As if going to Boston somehow increases the odds of their infection. They would probably fly private anyway.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    Maybe he means how literally every party has a powerlevel mule sitting outside lol.
    No the people obsessed with the "purity" of leveling is pretty much... you.

I've said multiple times I don't care about the 1-75 experience; what made XI special wasn't the fact it was painful to get to 75. That was a filter, not the goal. It was hardly an accomplishment, even if there were more drop-outs than graduates.

Abyssea letting you XP a job to 75 in an hour wasn't the bad part about it. Being able to solo jobs to 99 right now with Trusts isn't the bad part about current XI. Power leveling was around in retail too. All of that is just a way to skip the tedium of the leveling process. I'd be down for one of the instant 75 servers.

Leveling is completely irrelevant to my calculus for what made 75 cap good: HNMLS Guild Ecosystem with multiple Large Guilds competing for hierarchy via zero-sum server limited spawns for extremely rare lateral upgrades. Challenge, Competition, and Accomplishment Durability.

To me, having to level and then do RoZ/CoP missions then grind Sky/Sea etc. is all the investment cost I will have to put in. The prospect is daunting and whether or not I join a private server is whether or not I can be convinced that the server will deliver on those substantial investment costs with a healthy end game scene (HNM). Hearing negative stuff about private servers has pretty much dissuaded me from trying to restart. But if I knew the final product was worth it, I would take the plunge. That's why I hope against hope for a true legacy server that will never come.

Particularly things like D44's reports that "admins don't ban their favorites even when they are caught exploiting. i have conversations between godmode and players telling them he'll let them keep their exploited items/gil/levels/progress if they just tell him how they exploited." are concerning to me.

The last thing I want are people abusing exploits and devaluing rare and valuable equipment.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Hakkar

What does that have to do with this thread? It is a bummer, how lame of them. As if going to Boston somehow increases the odds of their infection. They would probably fly private anyway.
    Posted it here because I felt that a few people, not all or even a lot, were hoping that they were going to announce something new relating to the game at this event. "Classic" server or otherwise.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Perhaps it's the other way round, maybe they're concerned about spreading it should one of them be unknowingly affected.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

Oh. Yeah, what Daak is referring to is people were doing something with level sync to level. It had nothing to do with gil, items, or the HNM scene. I have all the screenshots of those conversations too because someone from my FC in FFXIV was actually one of the main culprits, lol.

What people were doing was they found a low level camp with a ton of mobs that were easy to kill and found out that if you kick the person who is the level sync right before all the mobs die, you are still synced for 30 seconds while it counts down to removal (this is how it worked in retail). But if all the mobs die during that countdown window, everyone else gets EXP and the sync who dropped stays the same level. Rinse repeat. Godmode investigated and asked the people involved what they were doing and did not punish them because they told him about it. To be clear this is something that could be done during retail, just no one did it because its risky unless you're confident all mobs will die in that 30s window. He did not take their levels away but he did institute a no more than 8 mobs can be held at one time rule and also changed how linking affects exp. For example, if a level 75 PL pulls a mob and then drags it around the room to link every mob in the room, those mobs are now tainted by that person's link so they won't give EXP to any lower levels trying to leech off the PL.

The only exploit I know of related to gil or items was to do with the delivery box but it was a glitch that actually existed on retail and something that every private server has had issues with that I know of. This is actually why Dbox is disabled on Nasomi. Eden fixed it, however, after someone threatened to spread the knowledge of the exploit. Rather than let the exploit become known Godmode took the server down and fixed it and rolled back anything that may have been duplicated, and banned all offenders.

So in my opinion, the server has a very strong grasp on exploits and cheating. I've never seen anyone do anything involving gil or items that did not get rolled back (and basically always perma banned especially if it was malicious). Level sync and exp is another issue but also one that I don't think is nearly as big of a deal.

Edit: Eden just actually sent out a decently big ban wave when the servers came up, including to many prominent personalities in the community for rule violations.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Interesting, that allays a lot of my concerns. It's still a significant time investment to do a lot of stuff I did not enjoy before I could get into the stuff I do like, especially with the server almost going down and demonstrating the instability of that investment, but I'm a lot more inclined to give it a try.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

He's just wrong though, as confirmed by atomos, others, myself, several pages back

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

I can only speak to what I have seen evidence of. I have screenshots of the whole level sync enforcement issue. I have not seen any evidence of players exploiting other facets of the game and getting away with it. If you have evidence you should post it because people would benefit from knowing about it.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipotent View Post
    There is a server that delevels you to 1 if you die?

That is absolutely the worst idea I have ever seen in a game lol
    It's a common/popular mode for various genres of games including some MMOs. It's often referred to either as Hardcore Mode or Challenge Mode. Although the punishment is usually your character dies permanently and not just a level reset. It's not a unique/new idea, lot of games have it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    Oh. Yeah, what Daak is referring to is people were doing something with level sync to level. It had nothing to do with gil, items, or the HNM scene. I have all the screenshots of those conversations too because someone from my FC in FFXIV was actually one of the main culprits, lol.

What people were doing was they found a low level camp with a ton of mobs that were easy to kill and found out that if you kick the person who is the level sync right before all the mobs die, you are still synced for 30 seconds while it counts down to removal (this is how it worked in retail). But if all the mobs die during that countdown window, everyone else gets EXP and the sync who dropped stays the same level. Rinse repeat. Godmode investigated and asked the people involved what they were doing and did not punish them because they told him about it. To be clear this is something that could be done during retail, just no one did it because its risky unless you're confident all mobs will die in that 30s window. He did not take their levels away but he did institute a no more than 8 mobs can be held at one time rule and also changed how linking affects exp. For example, if a level 75 PL pulls a mob and then drags it around the room to link every mob in the room, those mobs are now tainted by that person's link so they won't give EXP to any lower levels trying to leech off the PL.

The only exploit I know of related to gil or items was to do with the delivery box but it was a glitch that actually existed on retail and something that every private server has had issues with that I know of. This is actually why Dbox is disabled on Nasomi. Eden fixed it, however, after someone threatened to spread the knowledge of the exploit. Rather than let the exploit become known Godmode took the server down and fixed it and rolled back anything that may have been duplicated, and banned all offenders.

So in my opinion, the server has a very strong grasp on exploits and cheating. I've never seen anyone do anything involving gil or items that did not get rolled back (and basically always perma banned especially if it was malicious). Level sync and exp is another issue but also one that I don't think is nearly as big of a deal.

Edit: Eden just actually sent out a decently big ban wave when the servers came up, including to many prominent personalities in the community for rule violations.
    There's a lot more that happened with those events than the public knows about and a lot of other occurances of major exploits etc. that were handled poorly or not at all. Favoritism happens often behind the scenes, a lot of the server knows that already. Certain cliques of people get special treatment because they are friends of friends to certain people etc. Been that way since Eden started.

Not every gil/item abused event has been handled or rolled back as well. There are plenty of times where something has been abused and a 'fix' was made and nothing happened to the given person. Similar with abused exp/sync exploits and so on. Basically depends on who you are, who you are friends with and what shell you're in to determine if you'll actually be punished or not.

And their recent banwave was them over-reacting to stupid things because they are trying to overly-police third-party usage. There are numerous legit apps/tools/etc. that are old, rely on the game being ran from the boot loader being named 'pol.exe' as they look for that from retail, and the attempt to completely kill off all of it because of 3-4 apps they disapprove of is a total joke. It's bypassed easily anyway.

Where people decide to play is ultimately up to them, regardless if they pick retail or a private server. Most I'd warn people about at this point is do a little research in the server(s) you pick before jumping in and wasting too much time to learn how things really are. At the moment, there are only two servers attempting any means of old school retail and both have their issues. There are plenty of other servers that do custom stuff, or focus on non-old school era things. So if you have an itch to play XI and don't want to sub to retail, look around.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Sounds like retail!

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Gonna necro this thread since we're all on quarantine right now. But technically, now would be a great time for them to release an FFXI Classic lol. Since everyone is stuck at home doing nothing anyway. I wonder what the odds are of the Coronavirus Pandemic lockdown being a huge conspiracy between the federal government and the MMO companies.

Good luck convincing SE to do that on the cusp of them launching FF7R.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Why not play the real FFXI, and just see how much has changed. Over 3,500 people online on Asura, you'll find people you played with 15 years ago! Happened to me the other day.

I pullout to go pee.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Winterhoof

Why not play the real FFXI, and just see how much has changed. Over 3,500 people online on Asura, you'll find people you played with 15 years ago! Happened to me the other day.
    but I haven't found you yet

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

agreed, you can try out Odyssey, it's the pinnacle of content and what all MMOs should strive to produce

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Because people who want Classic know why they quit and would need those reasons addressed before returning to retail.