Page 67 of 68 FirstFirst ... 17 57 65 66 67 68 LastLast

Thread: Time for FFXI "Classic"?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

amazing news from SE that they are making a FFXI classic and rendering it with all these new graphics

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'm hoping its abyssea only

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

LOL

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Hell fuckin no... I would never repeat that grind again even with 4k graphics. No how no way.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclasm View Post
    Hell fuckin no... I would never repeat that grind again even with 4k graphics. No how no way.
    that's too bad, you can keep playing SD ffxi.

the images are for wotg ffxi as indicated by the comet. spread the news everyone and keep posting this stuff in the ffxi section where it belongs.

classic is the true ffxi

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by D44kpunk View Post
    amazing news from SE that they are making a FFXI classic and rendering it with all these new graphics
    Source? I thought Mobile was going to be built on a completely different engine and the problem with classic is that they didn't have the resources to rebuild it?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    Source? I thought Mobile was going to be built on a completely different engine and the problem with classic is that they didn't have the resources to rebuild it?
    really

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Its a new expansion to the far east with a graphical overhaul for current FFXI. New jobs Time Mage and Chemist, sorry but no 75 cap.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Theyre gonna re-release FFXI with updated graphics. Levels will go from 1-74, then jump to 76 all the way to 99. Level 75 wont exist.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

really sorry guys, this is definitely ffxi classic. i see nothing related to adoulin or shitbyssea in those concept art drawings whatsoever.

For all we know, it'll be 50 cap with Shadowlord the final story boss and the HNM scene being Roc, Serket, Simurgh, and Lumberjack. "Really sorry," but assuming it's 100%-as-is "Classic" and will forever remain that way is just pants on head. Play some actual fucking mobile games and you'd know it to be true.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

a lot of upset about ffxi classic being confirmed

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    It was supposed to be using Unreal Engine 4, which some of those shots are from the UE4 editor going by the icon overlays. Not a big fan of the suggested "HD mod it up" takes on what looks like current-state screenshots, with all the added crap on the ground textures, extra trees, mountains in the bg, etc.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

These images are from a Nexon employee's personal WIX resume website. They are not classic FFXI, it's from the mobile make of the game. The site was taken down due to Nexon DMCA'ing it, along with multiple other reposts of the images. (ie. on Imgur and a few other sites.) The engine being used is Unreal 4.

The persons site (original pic source) is still available via the web archive:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20200507...npyo.com/ffxir

For those unaware, Nexon is doing the mobile remake, so expect tons of cash shop nonsense, and pay to win / pay to advance nonsense. Nexon is very well known for being a cash shop whoring company.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

It will just be like the Disney Star Wars for me, it won't exist!

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

I just don't see how it would work on the phone. Phone games have a 2D input scheme with an implicitly inconsistent internet connection. Real time battle, moving around a 3D environment, etc. all seem difficult. Something would have to go. Also, why bother rendering such high quality textures if they are going to be displayed on a tiny screen?

I again propose that this project was likely intended to target the brief wave of phone-based VR (Google cardboard/daydream, etc.), where you do need high quality textures, can assume a consistent internet connection, and can assume players have a controller of some kind.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Ah bummer, so you guys are saying we probably shouldn't be posting about this in the ffxi section and not even the SE section? That's a real travesty

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by D44kpunk View Post
    a lot of upset about this not being ffxi classic
    lol

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

man i cant wait to relive the glory days of abyssea

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    I just don't see how it would work on the phone. Phone games have a 2D input scheme with an implicitly inconsistent internet connection. Real time battle, moving around a 3D environment, etc. all seem difficult. Something would have to go. Also, why bother rendering such high quality textures if they are going to be displayed on a tiny screen?

I again propose that this project was likely intended to target the brief wave of phone-based VR (Google cardboard/daydream, etc.), where you do need high quality textures, can assume a consistent internet connection, and can assume players have a controller of some kind.
    While I could surmise how it could work being among some of the board's mobile game sluts, the tl;dr version will ultimately remain that it won't be a clone of the original.

- No macros, just a fixed UI.
    - Gear swapping mid-battle won't exist.
    - Expect gear streamlining and revamping of ability/spell formulae to reflect this.
    - Inventory system will probably ironically be less of a pain in the ass, even if it's got "spend x game currency to add 5 slots" or whatever.
    - You'll probably only load one map grid at a time, populated by finite monsters/NPCs.
    - Seeing other players will be limited to towns/certain instances.
    - Approaching a monster or quest objective in the above will likely trigger an independent battle screen that doesn't care about your internet connection until the battle ends.
    - TP will likely remain, built by normal attacks where players then use job/weapon-specific abilities with independent costs. Casters will also attack from range and may just use TP instead of MP.
    - Skillchains may happen, but likely more as damage combo boosts than elemental wheel chicanery.
    - Partying possible, but probably limited to 4 players instead of 6.
    - AI party members/friends possible, but likely not optimal for harder content.
    - Alliance content unlikely to exist as we know it. Guild/Linkshell/Global "bosses" will likely be just giant HP sponges where you see how much you can do in your attempt(s) until you wipe or X time passes.
    - Don't expect a player-run AH precisely because of RMT. In fact, don't expect P2P trading at all.

Any other game-specific nuance I could try to speculate on, but the above just seems most likely relative to the rest of the market before even considering monetization fuckery. Just adding a stamina system to trigger fights or enter instances changes the dynamic. I have no doubt they'll sell the "Dark Knight Package" that instantly unlocks the job, gives you some glams, and maybe instantly levels it to 25 or something. And you know some asshole will pay $500 for a Defending Ring if it's sold in the shop and similarly lacks competition for the slot.

Otherwise, if people want some inkling of how combat might work, then I'd suggest trying Dragalia Lost or something like Last Cloudia since they're basically real-time encounters, some with respective mechanics. Personally, I've always felt combat on mobile getting too fast paced to be a detriment, so if they can otherwise maintain OG XI's battle pacing, it won't be so bad.